X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Statement from Plumbing Supply House Today

"We are starting to see a disturbing trend where our customer base is more homeowners than plumbers coming in for parts, fixing plumbing problems themselves."

This is a supply house dedicated to service and repair.

Discuss...
    Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Re: Statement from Plumbing Supply House Today

No one should be able to buy plumbing parts, but plumbers.
    We have to go through at MINIMUM 3 years training, to even considered, to even be thought about, worth to install these parts.

Why should the Joe Blow homeowner trying to save-a-buck be able to buy this stuff? And put the public at risk because he was saving money, and thus contaminated the ENTIRE CITY from a incorrectly installed XXXXXXXX

It is just not right that anyone can buy parts, that we can not install without proper certification. Anyone else that believes otherwise is wrong.

Comment

Look no further then the "Ask the Experts" section of this site or Terry Love and you will see part of the answer.

The rise of the house flipping greed mentality along with "You can break it we can help box stores"

Simplicification of materials is another nail, PEX vs. copper, PVC vs. copper or CI.

We have accepted the new materials for the same reason as joe homeowner has...Easy to use and a great time saver. Our supposedly own plumbing/mechanical organizations put their seal of approval on just about anything for a price but we still support the orginizations.

The plumbing trade should only blame itself for it's current issues if we are not willing to fight to make the changes in the interests of the health safety and welfare of the nation.

Bill

Comment

Originally posted by Ninjaskillz View Post
        No one should be able to buy plumbing parts, but plumbers.
        We have to go through at MINIMUM 3 years training, to even considered, to even be thought about, worth to install these parts.

Why should the Joe Blow homeowner trying to save-a-buck be able to buy this stuff? And put the public at risk because he was saving money, and thus contaminated the ENTIRE CITY from a incorrectly installed XXXXXXXX

It is just not right that anyone can buy parts, that we can not install without proper certification. Anyone else that believes otherwise is wrong.
        I think just about every trade could come with a similar argument. Heaven forbid that you should change a bad switch in your house--it might burn down!! Lets be real, as long as someone can make a buck, those parts are going to be sold. It might not make us happy, but it is going to happen.

Comment

Ha! " disturbing trend " my butt. That sounds like a disguise for the new business model.

Comment

Originally posted by Ninjaskillz View Post

are you going to carry that to car parts, you need a mechanic to put in your new battery?

how about groceries, they have trained chefs, why should some one be able to cook for them selfs to save a buck, some of these persons have gone to Paris to learn how to cook.

and choosing what you eat, there are licensed dietitians and nutritious,

Why you should not be able to figure out how to put in a bath room as there are licensed plumbing engineers and architects.

You should only follow some one else plans, and specifications,

You should not be able to think for your self, the horror of it,
            some one being able to think and to do some thing on there own with out a Nanny state looking over there shoulder.

all this is if the government restricts the jobs and the supplies and materials at government order, it is a form of Fascism, (just that is is creeping in slowly for the last 50+ years you do not recognize it for what it is).

and the argument that I spend X number of years getting trained is lame to say the least,
            ever body has dues to pay to learn the job and to be good at, at least in the trades most get payed to learn there trade, Most have to pay some one for 4 or more years to get that degree to qualify for the job they have. and then pay back the loans.

and then the mentality comes in your owed a job because you worked and got payed to learn your trade, and you payed the tax for the license,

My SIL is licensed union electrician, and the other day the big wigs from the Union come in and they were talking and the big wigs started in telling on how none of the workers should own there own tools, as they may work at home and not pay the fellow union guy to do it, and that if they got the whim that they may drop the union and be able to start or go work for a non union shop or on there own, and how no one should go in and get or learn extra certifications on there own with out there bosses requirements, as it would make one worker more valuable than another, and that would be unfair to the other workers.
            (that was what was wanted by there union leaders) to controlled the workers like sheep.

when the governments come in and start putting massive controls and protections on your trades, (more so than they are), you will not like the results of the out come, as most likely you will have more than just restircions on the outsiders, (home owner, and non licensed) but on your selfs, as to what and where your territory is and how much you can charge and possibly even when you can work, and to possibly even what jobs you can do or specialize in,

It is some what like the cow reaching through the fence for greener pasture, when they get on the other side many times they want back in to where they were. It is not what they thought it would be,
            Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
            attributed to Samuel Johnson
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Thanks BHD for the common sense approach.
              Distractions are everywhere, don't lose sight of your dream.

Comment

Originally posted by Devine Plumbing View Post
                Thanks BHD for the common sense approach.
                Devine, You still running that unlicensed plumbing business up in Michigan?

It would appear that common sense is not so common

Comment

I've been dealing with that for roughly 15 years now. My local parts store slogan is Wholesale To The Public. Nothing more entertaining/frustrating then listening to a homeowner trying to figure out how to plumb a house with no clue at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Nevada plumber View Post
                    I've been dealing with that for roughly 15 years now. My local parts store slogan is Wholesale To The Public. Nothing more entertaining/frustrating then listening to a homeowner trying to figure out how to plumb a house with no clue at all.

Not quite the same, as I'm not a licensable trade (yet), but my plumbing supply house is the same way. I purchase quality parts in quantity to make sure that I have the right parts on my truck when I need them.

I get good pricing, but I find that more than half the time the supply house gives the same pricing to Joe Shmo that walks in without a clue, and for a one-time sale. He'll buy one or two irrigation parts, they have to figure what the customer is talking about, make two or three trips to the stock room, open up a bag, write an invoice that costs them more to write than the profit that they might make, then have to take the time to explain how to install it properly.

I can understand that 'a sale is a sale', but for one time customers, charge full price for it. My supply house also has a big sign over the door stating. "No retail sales". They follow that alright, they discount to everybody!

Mick

Comment

Originally posted by DUNBAR View Post
                      "We are starting to see a disturbing trend where our customer base is more homeowners than plumbers coming in for parts, fixing plumbing problems themselves."

This is a supply house dedicated to service and repair.
                      Did they stop to wonder who allowed that trend to develop?

Mick

Comment

Originally posted by Pipestone Kid View Post
                        I think just about every trade could come with a similar argument. Heaven forbid that you should change a bad switch in your house--it might burn down!! Lets be real, as long as someone can make a buck, those parts are going to be sold. It might not make us happy, but it is going to happen.
                        Joe Home owner can not walk in and buy a tank of freon gas to recharge his air conditioning system. Hell I can not even buy a jug of the stuff. The places around here want to see your certifications for the stuff. Supply houses should do the same, ask for a plumbing licasance.
                        Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                        A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                        Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                        Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
                          Joe Home owner can not walk in and buy a tank of freon gas to recharge his air conditioning system. Hell I can not even buy a jug of the stuff. The places around here want to see your certifications for the stuff. Supply houses should do the same, ask for a plumbing licasance.

This morning my wife and I took our weekly trip into town to go shopping. One stop was so the she could stock up on some of her supplies. She bought shampoo, conditioner and other hair-dresser stuff. She doesn't have a shop anymore, but she still goes to the supplier for the quality stuff (have you ever seen a $450.00 pair of scissors?). She still has to show her Cosmetologist (hair-dresser) license to be able to buy there. If I put something on the counter that my wife handed me, the 18 y.o. behind the counter looks at me like I'm from another planet....until Donna pulls out her license.

Mick

Comment

Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
                            http://www.epatest.com/608/
                            go to this site and with $25 you can be certified to buy your freon, and the study materials and study software are there too for free.
                            and the test can be taken open book.
                            Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                            "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                            attributed to Samuel Johnson
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                            PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

It's like this folks; Do you all know how many times I've done plumbing work behind plumbers that have done it wrong? I'm talking licensed plumbers too, those you would expect to do no wrong.

We've painted ourselves into this corner, we've let our guard down by the nose of following what's so fast your dead grandma can do it.

Remember,

There's always a guy beating the door down to do it for rock bottom

There's always a guy that will work under the brow and cut his brother out of the earnings

There's always a guy that's willing to do it wrong to make a buck

^^^^

I'm talking about licensed plumbers, those of "us" that you would think would never dare have this room for error, and do.

I worked unlicensed for quite some time before I became licensed, just like everyone else.

Product mfg's have now tapped the "new" face in the supply house, and that money spends just the same as the rest.

Of course, we are in a recession, people eventually will rebound just like the economy and things will come close to before, but I promise this: people would rather pay to have their plumbing fixed before doing it themselves.

Why? If you don't do it every day you know how intimidating it can be. Plumbing is intricate but simple in all the same statement. I personally find plumbing to be extremely simple, as everything is jigsaw puzzled together.

Lots of things out there that can be far more difficult, using the gray matter in our skulls.
                              Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Working...
                              X