X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The little things

I have been so busy (12 hour + days) with the recent cold snap fixing no heat calls that when I got the call to change out a toilet in a regular customers ensuite I welcomed the change of pace. Only thing I did not look forward to was removing the water from the bowl as my wet vac got loaded off my van and I worried about getting their white carpet soiled. Small detail I know, and when I got into the room and started taking it out I saw that the lady of the house had not only cleaned the toilet, the tank and bowl were already emptied and bone dry!! What a pleasant surprise. First time in 20 years I have ever had that happen. Usually the bowl is crusty and filled with ugly water, chlorine pucks etc. It is the small things that can make all the difference, and it did kinda improve my attitude.
    How about all you, what small things have customers done to help make your job/day a bit brighter?

Re: The little things

had a customer give me a root beer today

not uncommon to get cookies and even lunch

rick
    phoebe it is

Comment

Don't take women in basement for trade, won't work

I was once offered a sister in law living in the basement, with 3 kids, she was going to back to school at 30 something ???? and "getting her life back in order" so

maybe I missed a perfect opportunity?

Think not shin shay.

Only love I'm finding in a basement is going to be tons of plumbing work, that's it.

Unless of course the husband forgot to move his magazines for the occaisional "wife break" and I happen to stumble upon them while working.
      Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Its always nice when the customer removes items from under the sink, I don't really mind, I charge by the hour. Unless its a little old lady or someone where it would difficult physically I don't put items back, time for spring cleaning!

wookie

Comment

I received a box of Omaha Steaks the other day from a widow that I helped out with some home repairs!

Comment

Not sure if this counts but I traded this beauty for a rod job... The catch was I had to move it. It took 3 people, 2 mule bars a forklift and a roll off truck 4 hours but it is now sitting in my garage (all 3900 lbs of it)... I'm a sucker for neat-o old stuff

My wife is not amused

Comment

That is cool
              INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
              Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

There has got to be a way to make that into the coolest man room beer cooler around. If you don't drink, I think that would give you an excuse to start!! Bet my wife would take the same opinion as yours - the first thing out of her mouth would be WTF....!

Comment

My plan is to refinish it since it still works

Then someday when I have a house on a slab I can bring it inside...

Comment

That's a beauty.

Comment

What is that? A clothes dryer from the bank?
                      How many of those Dewalt batteries in the background still hold a charge?
                      "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

Comment

We have an old safe in the basement. Not nearly as cool looking as that one, it's just a big box.

The combination is long gone. I want to open it so bad, who knows what could be in it??????????????

We could try to drill, pry, etc. , but we want to keep it in working order.
                        INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
                        Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Originally posted by Gene Bickford View Post
                          We have an old safe in the basement. Not nearly as cool looking as that one, it's just a big box.

The combination is long gone. I want to open it so bad, who knows what could be in it??????????????

We could try to drill, pry, etc. , but we want to keep it in working order.
                          A good lock smith can crack the safe with out damaging it. We had one that was built into a cabinet from my grandfather, no one knew the combination. So we hired a locksmith cost us 50 bucks and he had it open in 10 minutes.
                          Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                          A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                          Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                          Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

That is cool.

My FIL once got paid for a job with an old stand up bank safe. He used it to store guns. It got delivered by a flat bed wrecker and we cut pieces of 3/4" black iron to roll it into place in his garage.

He died unexpectedly and only he knew the combination. I had about 3 locksmiths look at it before I found one who would attempt to open it.

He wrote down every number, letter, mark, etc he could find on the thing and went back to his shop to try and identify it.

He called me a few days later and said he figured it out and could open it.

Since we didn't care if it was operational after he was done, he started drilling holes.

I noticed him being real precise about hole placement and commented on it. He said the reason was the door had tear gas cannisters in it, and if you drill in the wrong spot, you'll bust one and......

Very interesting stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by SlimTim View Post
                              What is that? A clothes dryer from the bank?
                              How many of those Dewalt batteries in the background still hold a charge?
                              Yup a clothes dryer, It's used for money laundering *groan*

The current batch of batteries was just purchased in September. I try to replace them every year and track them by writting the date of purchase on them in sharpie.

Comment

Working...
                              X