X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Van storage options

Just bought a 2001 1 ton workhorse stepvan. Very happy with it but I need some shelves in there. American van and Adrain Steel are out the question because of price. I'm thinking of going with some standard steel shelves like this.

Anyone have any better options?
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Re: Van storage options

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
    Just bought a 2001 1 ton workhorse stepvan. Very happy with it but I need some shelves in there. American van and Adrain Steel are out the question because of price. I'm thinking of going with some standard steel shelves like this.

Anyone have any better options?
    That picture is similar to what I have in the box trucks. Lightweight, adjustable, cheap. My oldest set is 8 years old and going strong.

I got mine at Lowes.
    (The Low Spark of Steel-Toed Boys)

Comment

Bet you've got some nice "lights" to go in it.

J.C.

Comment

O/K Ben now I can see what you are talking about.I like the wire,keeps them light.Can they be inverted to keep product on them.How tall can they go.Hat to see them stop too low.Upper shelves are just as important for the rarely used items.I'll bet one could find that perforated angle in ten or twenty foot lengths.

Comment

dimensions are w77 x d24 x h72.
          Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Throw a couple of those in there and get to it. Good luck.

J.C.

Comment

Look really good so far.

Have you thought of either a Pack-Rat drawer unit like ROOKIE PLUMBER had in his vans or a simple,inexpensive (Kennedy perhaps) mechanics drawer unit like Westcoast Plumbing.I have all my specialty tools staged in a plum full milk crate and stashed in every little nook of the van,very inefficient.They could be a good place to store fragile trim as well.

Comment

I make my own out of plywood and 2x.... takes forever but gets it just exactly how you want it, and you can use the space you have better when you custom it...

but in the step van you've got all the room in the world...

those shelves look fine. I agree flip them over so the lip keeps stuff from flying off quite so much.
                This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

ben, 24'' is too deep. for a 6' wide truck. think about the 18'' deep units.

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                    ben, 24'' is too deep. for a 6' wide truck. think about the 18'' deep units.

rick.
                    I wasn't paying attention.
                    I agree

Comment

There is a company that makes durable plastic shelving for vans, anyone know the company?

Adrian steel is expensive. I was able to find used ones on Ebay and pick them up. Of course they needed minor adjustment (sawzall). They are heavier too.

I agree, for the price, and weight, spend a little extra time and customize your own setup.

Good Luck!

Comment

I've had a stepvan for years and still trying to get the storage the way I like it. Still use milk crates with Benjamin Manufactoring plastic trays inside. Crapsman roll tool drawers that serves as a workbench. Made a plywood shelf to hold some of the lighter milk crates. working on a shelf, plywood sides with aluminum angle rails to hold those stanley parts carriers. Check out harbor frieght for parts bins. Beef up any shelf system you buy or build in a truck is way more abusive than sitting in a garage. LIGHTS if you can afford it get led less drain on battery.

Congrats on the new ride you'll soon wonder how you lived without it!

wookie

Comment

Originally posted by wookie View Post
                          I've had a stepvan for years and still trying to get the storage the way I like it. Still use milk crates with Benjamin Manufactoring plastic trays inside. Crapsman roll tool drawers that serves as a workbench. Made a plywood shelf to hold some of the lighter milk crates. working on a shelf, plywood sides with aluminum angle rails to hold those stanley parts carriers. Check out harbor frieght for parts bins. Beef up any shelf system you buy or build in a truck is way more abusive than sitting in a garage. LIGHTS if you can afford it get led less drain on battery.

Congrats on the new ride you'll soon wonder how you lived without it!

wookie
                          I put 3/4 plywood on the sides and attach the shelves to it. When I can get to a truck (snowed in) I'll get the name to the tote-type bins we got at Freg's for waaaay too much money.
                          (The Low Spark of Steel-Toed Boys)

Comment

Here's what i'm going with. http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...US&Sp=C&topnav=

Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

What the he!! are you gonna' do with a football and some Dr. Pepper?

J.C.

Comment

Working...
                              X