Looks like a promising technology.

Re: Heat pump water heaters

Well I dont have any such experience
    about it. But just have the theoretical
    knowledge about it.
    ingwer

Comment

We have them here now as our government doesn't have enough money for new power stations.
      They sell the idea as being green and saving the enviroment, (Rubbish)
      They actually do work well and the cost savings of the electricity is about half from the people that we have installed them for.
      If the ambient temp is under four degrees then they have elements in them the same as normal.
      They work best with the heater install in direct sunlight.

Simon

Comment

Originally posted by Plumbus View Post
        Anyone have experience with these?
        http://www.stiebel-eltron-usa.com/accelera.html
        Looks like a promising technology.
        Hi
        I don't have any such type of experiences ........

mobile ladder

Comment

Hiya -

Heat Pump Water Heaters are the future for sure, The technology is awesome. My wife and I recently wrote some articles on a few models if you are interested,

Hope this helps you learn more about them

Comment

they are dangerous when the jacket leaks and by epa law every home you install one needs an asse 1013 rp on the water main after meter and an isolation 1013 at the feed to unit. just like solar.

Comment

Originally posted by plumberjr View Post
              they are dangerous when the jacket leaks and by epa law every home you install one needs an asse 1013 rp on the water main after meter and an isolation 1013 at the feed to unit. just like solar.
              And, an expansion tank.

Comment

Eh... just say no to heat exchangers when it comes to potable water. Why risk it?

Comment

Originally posted by plumberjr View Post
                  I think this post assumes that the heat pump's condenser coils are internal to the water tank and in contact with the water. GE has a Hybrid heat pump water heater that has the heat pump condenser coils that are external to the tank and therefore, never come in contact with the water. The GE Hybrid unit installs very similar to a standard electric water heater.

Comment

Had a rep at my supply talk to me about these.

they apparently remove heat from the air around them and enhance that heat by compressing it.

Brings the question to mind as to whether they're removing heat from a heated space during the winter, which is somewhat of an oxymoron relative to savings, the $1800 sticker didn't quite grab me either, when most people will pay $50 per month at best for hot water and a direct vent will sell for one third that.

Comment

Originally posted by DuckButter View Post
                      Had a rep at my supply talk to me about these.

they apparently remove heat from the air around them and enhance that heat by compressing it.

Brings the question to mind as to whether they're removing heat from a heated space during the winter, which is somewhat of an oxymoron relative to savings, the $1800 sticker didn't quite grab me either, when most people will pay $50 per month at best for hot water and a direct vent will sell for one third that.
                      Been looking and asking about them for awhile. I think some have a winter setting that just makes it a water heater.

But I'm no HVAC guy at all and don't know how it would have to work in some sort of hybrid system.

J.C.

Comment

Working...
                      X