X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Off sets for waterclosets

Are off sets allowed in the IPC code for water closets and where in the IPC can this be found

Re: Off sets for waterclosets

Originally posted by mccoolsinspections View Post
    Are off sets allowed in the IPC code for water closets and where in the IPC can this be found
    What are you calling an offset?

Mark
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

My bet is we are talking about the use of an offset toilet flange... (I'm shocked a home inspector found one since it would require pulling a toilet to see)

As long as it is full flow (3") it should not be an issue.. I'm not sure IPC addresses them specifically.

I think UPC may have specific language for them though...

Hmmmmmm gotta go look.

I can't find my UPC

IPC 2009
      405.4.1 talks about flanges. Offsets are not specifically addressed in the IPC that I can find but would be OK (IMO) if they are properly marked by the manufacturer and installed correctly. Ultimately your local city / state code inspector would be the final say

Wait for Marks take on this though, he knows the codes better than anyone And he is a nice guy that will answer questions for Home Inspectors.
      Last edited by OkieBill; 12-16-2009, 08:01 PM.

Comment

I had not answered yet because I was waiting for clarification of what he meant by offset. I assume he meant the flange but he did not say. As long as the flow is not obstructed, there is no problem with an offset flange. The problem is when non-listed fittings are used as the offset. Until recently there were a whole bunch of non-listed offset because it cost so much to become listed, if you don't sell a lot of them it's harder to justify the expense.

Mark
        "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Mark, I just wanted to see if I could get one right. (I still put the disclaimer at the bottom to ultimately trust your opinion )

I must be sick since I answered the question for a home inspector...

I can't find any language for their use in the IPC but I swear there is something on them in the UPC...

Comment

Reason for offset flanges: proof that smoking dope and plumbing do not mix. I especially hate coming accross the offset flanges that have a tab for the closet bolt right in the flow. Major trash catchers.

Comment

I think that as long as the flow is not restricted, offset COLLARS are ok.

To me, offset closet collars mean 1 of 2 things:

1. The plumber made a mistake and roughed in wrong (or the wall schedule changed....cause that NEVER happens!)

2. Remodel finds the collar too close to the wall, or wall gets bumped out for tile or some other reason

Around here I see a lot of 12" rough toilets crammed into 10.5" spaces in old homes.

Comment

Working...
              X