Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to Bill this one?

Quick question...

You dig up a customers sewer line at the main (full of roots and collapsed) to repair. While you are down there, you see the neighbors ties into the main 2ft upstream, and their line is split, full of roots. They never reported a problem, you basically landed into this one.

How would you bid the NEW repair? You are in the ditch, and the right thing to do would be to bring it to their attention. Remember, the original job has been bid.

Re: How to Bill this one?

Originally posted by NorthernIllinoisPlumber View Post
    Quick question...

You dig up a customers sewer line at the main (full of roots and collapsed) to repair. While you are down there, you see the neighbors ties into the main 2ft upstream, and their line is split, full of roots. They never reported a problem, you basically landed into this one.

How would you bid the NEW repair? You are in the ditch, and the right thing to do would be to bring it to their attention. Remember, the original job has been bid.
    I would bid the job for the same price as the first job. If they say no, do your repair on the first bid and backfill.
    Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
    A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
    Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
    Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

I don't have Xray vision so my bid is for what should be there. Odd things mean you grab the h/o's point,frown and start talking what is involved and money.
      You original bid was a good faith estimate of normal things.
      This was not.Time and material.
      Wow, a common line.I bump into 1 of these every 3-5 years around here!

Comment

my thought is, you bring it to there attention. If you dont and there sewer backs up in a year or so they will say that they never had sewer problems until you messed with the neighbors sewer

Comment

Take pictures, lots of pictures to cya. I would bid the second job the same as the first job but with only half the excavation and backfill. I would split that charge amongst both houses. Neighbors talk and they'll wonder why one got charged more than the other for the same job.
          Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Yes tons of pic's and document EVERYTHING, times, dates, the four W's.

We have a lot of common lines here and sometimes it can get real messy.
            You would think once you explain the situation to all parties involved a simple splitting of the bill for repairs would be the conclusion. Very rare does that ever happen.

Sharing/tieing into a lateral is no longer allowed here. I've heard some say, If its on their property they do not have to tie the other line back in, citing underground trespass.
            Thats usually whats said during all the hollering, chest swelling, and calls to the Lawyers. I,ve never actually seen anyone do it. I don't think I'd ever do it.

Usually what ends up happening is the HO with the back up takes steps to prevent the back up from entering their home next time.
            INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
            Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

When I bid something I write what I will specifically do and I also write specifically what I will NOT do. Sometimes that's much longer than what I will do.

That way they are getting x for y amount. They are not getting 1 thing more or 1 thing less. Got to be specific.

Works for me.

Good luck.

J.C.

Comment

X2 on sewer Ratz ...

Let us know how this Turns Out ... Dave

Comment

Originally posted by NorthernIllinoisPlumber View Post
                  While you are down there, you see the neighbors ties into the main 2ft upstream, and their line is split, full of roots. They never reported a problem, you basically landed into this one.
                  I'm not a plumber, but I would think that you would still have to do a full scale look-see, and not just quote on the end of the line split. A big yes to the pictures of everything. I know of people trying to get something repaired for free because 'it was ok before you started working there'. That can't happen here because of the roots, but you still have to cya. Full Charge.

Mick

Comment

so what did you decide?
                    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                      so what did you decide?
                      its still in the works...

Comment

Looks like the original work will go on as planned. As far as the other guy, it has been brought to his attention, he was given a price, and declined the work.

Comment

Only problem now is that "his" roots could grow into your customers line

Comment

Update: The customer has changed his mind, and will have the work done.

Comment

Working...
                            X