Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 102 Year Old Cast Repair Project

Originally posted by saysflushable View Post
    I will say I LUV fernco's. I don't like having glue and primer even clear primer in a finished house. I probebly use them more than I should. Just because of no mess. Now I think all of us with cameras know how bad ferncos and no hubs are under ground. I always see them shift when they are underground. I think no hubs would stay inplace better if they were longer. But I believe they are to short.

Good work on the repair.
    Originally posted by saysflushable View Post
    I think a coupling like that would be much better. I'm suprised that isn't code. I don't think the powers that be know how poorly most elastomeric couplings perform under ground. I wanted to start a thread about this. It's another product that just doesn't work great under certain conditions. How many people with video equipment will support me?
    here's the real issue. it's not the bands, but the unskilled installers. i find that a lot of times when a company has installed a new c/o in the front yard, that the joint is severly offset. the reason

the reason why is that they over dig and don't properly compact the dirt under the fitting and bands. is it they let the dirt turn to mud from the cut stay under the pipe while the sewer is apart? is it the fact that more and more unskilled laborers are doing plumbing and installing pipe

i've camered more than my share of these problems and it always goes back to the installer. have any of these cleanout installs ever get proper backfill, or inspection?

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Beat me to it. For the soil of my area, if you don't disturb the grade level underneath and/or compact it properly, no issues. Not even with just a Fernco type coupling.

But remember that we don't deal with frost heaving like some and hand cover/light tamp the line before covering with machinery.

Many just start dumping with the front end loader causing shifts, joint breaks, and bellies in piping.

J.C.

Comment

We put 6" of stone under our pipe all along the side of the pipe. Once it passes inspection we put a foot of stone over the pipe then we backfill. Never had a crushed pipe, slipped joint, or even a belly.
        Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
        A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
        Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
        Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

When dealing with yard piping, be it sewer, water or gas (or conduit), it's the trenching and backfill that make or break the job. Had a leak on a buried water line recently that had been tested before burial. After quite a bit of searching a hole was found in a riser about the size and shape of the tooth on a bobcat bucket.
          Last edited by Plumbus; 12-26-2009, 02:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
            here's the real issue. it's not the bands, but the unskilled installers. i find that a lot of times when a company has installed a new c/o in the front yard, that the joint is severly offset. the reason

the reason why is that they over dig and don't properly compact the dirt under the fitting and bands. is it they let the dirt turn to mud from the cut stay under the pipe while the sewer is apart? is it the fact that more and more unskilled laborers are doing plumbing and installing pipe

i've camered more than my share of these problems and it always goes back to the installer. have any of these cleanout installs ever get proper backfill, or inspection?

rick.
            I'm sure it is improper install. So the way I see it most people can't install an elastomeric coupling properly. Who suffers? The homeowner who pays hundreds or thousands for the repair. Most I see are not done right. BUT I'm sure every plumber and excavator thinks they install them properly. I'm not so great as to think when I install a Fernco under ground I'm going do so much better than all the installers before me. I'm here to tell you I see a lot of miss alighned pipes underground. So just like wax rings, and tile showers everybody else is incompetent installing them

Comment

OK let's get some terminology straightened out.

When you ( any of you) say you only use or can use No Hub couplings are you referring to the straight no hub coupling or to a Mission or Pro Flex coupling that is (are) designed and built to connect different types of pipe?

On old SV ( service weight) pipe or XH pipe a No Hub coupling is not desirable since there is enough difference in the diameter of the cast iron and the plastic pipe to cause the coupling to wrinkle. The Mission or ProFlex couplings have different size rubber inserts that allow for the different diameters and most inspectors that I have met appreciate their usage as opposed to a Fernco.

As for straight Ferncos, they have their uses, especially to help the homeowner or bootlegger do a lousy repair job and call it plumbing because the guy at the Big Box store told him "that is how it is done".

Comment

Working...
              X