X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 102 Year Old Cast Repair Project

Last weeks fun project in "Hacktown". 4" CI run to upstairs bathroom section inside wall split lenghtwise through the hub. The sheetrock guy and the painter should be done with it tomorrow ( This house is 102 years old but I don't beleve this particular cast is that old)

(Upstaris Bathroom: I had to pull the vanity to get to this)

Great Fun
    Last edited by OkieBill; 12-20-2009, 07:27 PM.

Re: 102 Year Old Cast Repair Project

102 years. Not bad. Makes you wonder if we should go back.....

Somebody's gonna' give you a hard time about Fernco's.

Not me, you helped me have heat.

Thanks again Bill.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
      102 years. Not bad. Makes you wonder if we should go back.....

Somebody's gonna' give you a hard time about Fernco's.

Not me, you helped me have heat.

Thanks again Bill.

J.C.
      I'm sure I will get a few flames but it's OK I don't feel to bad since there is no weight on the upper connections a Fernco will work just as well as a nohub IMO.

Comment

Nice photos!
        Your're probably right about the Ferncos being just fine.

All the inspectors by us want the "Husky" no-hub couplings inside (the 4-ring/bolt variety) on cast to PVC connections and a No-hub adapter on the PVC. Kinda overkill, but you never get leaks that way. I personally leave the Fernco couplings for underground and I'll use the "no-shear" variety on horizontals. I don't mind spending the extra $$ for them and the nosy customers are usually more satisfied with the shiny metal as opposed to the "rubber bands".

Course I also live in an area where leak and oakum joints are required for all above ground commercial cast iron jobs! The town that my shop is in actually does not allow PVC at all, anywhere, not even residential!!

Nice work OkieBill

-Chris

Comment

Do you do the wall and floor repairs once your done?

I am not a big fan of fernco's but I have used them. Looks good thanks for the pics.

Comment

Originally posted by DanLawrence View Post
            Do you do the wall and floor repairs once your done?

I am not a big fan of fernco's but I have used them. Looks good thanks for the pics.
            I have a Contractor friend of mine do the carpenter work and we have another guy that specializes in sheetrock.

My sheetrock guy is amazing in his ability to match textures for repairs.

I could do some of the demo work but that would keep another tradesmen unemployed so I sub out as much as I can so everyone stays busy

Bill

Comment

Looks good but would not pass here in Minnesota. Fernco's (rubber ones with clamps) are a big no no, would not pass inspection. No hub bands only.

Comment

Originally posted by OkieBill View Post
                I have a Contractor friend of mine do the carpenter work and we have another guy that specializes in sheetrock.

My sheetrock guy is amazing in his ability to match textures for repairs.

I could do some of the demo work but that would keep another tradesmen unemployed so I sub out as much as I can so everyone stays busy

Bill

That is one thing I can't do well. I went out and got the hopper and mixed my own texture for my bathroom remodel. Which I had my first 120 v reminder on why to hire an electrician to install new outlets. Any ways I can never match the texture of any of my walls and the first time I tried I made it to runny.

Nothing worse than scraping it off and doing it again.

Comment

okie

why didn't you use no hubs? when i don't it's because i'm 1 1/2 hrs (round trip) away from the supply house. breid.................

Comment

Nice job with the pics...
                    On some hubbed cast , I will use a fernco if the no-hub dosent fit tight

Comment

Originally posted by DELCASE View Post
                      Nice job with the pics...
                      On some hubbed cast , I will use a fernco if the no-hub dosent fit tight
                      Ever try a Mission CP-44? The fatter side snugs down to service weight without crimping the stainless band.

Comment

I will say I LUV fernco's. I don't like having glue and primer even clear primer in a finished house. I probebly use them more than I should. Just because of no mess. Now I think all of us with cameras know how bad ferncos and no hubs are under ground. I always see them shift when they are underground. I think no hubs would stay inplace better if they were longer. But I believe they are to short.

Good work on the repair.

Comment

Originally posted by saysflushable View Post
                          Now I think all of us with cameras know how bad ferncos and no hubs are under ground. I always see them shift when they are underground. I think no hubs would stay inplace better if they were longer. But I believe they are to short.
                          You can always use these'
                          http://www.anaco-husky.com/huskySD4000.html

or these,
                          http://www.siouxchief.com/Support/DW...Tomahawk.L199U

Comment

I think a coupling like that would be much better. I'm suprised that isn't code. I don't think the powers that be know how poorly most elastomeric couplings perform under ground. I wanted to start a thread about this. It's another product that just doesn't work great under certain conditions. How many people with video equipment will support me?

Comment

We use the Mission Band_Seal for inside couplings. http://www.missionrubber.com/Product...lCouplings.php

And we use the Mission Flex-Seal for underground. http://www.missionrubber.com/Product...Adjustable.php
                              Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                              A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                              Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                              Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Working...
                              X