Butterfly valve installation

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Butterfly valve installation

Got a 1 1/2 butterfly valve in last week for this navy job I'm currently on. Never seen one so small(that's what she said). I've only seen 2" and bigger. Anyway, this one is shaped just like a sweat ball valve. Question is that on THE disk, there's an o-ring. I've always seen and used the type with a resilant seat and no o ring. Will there be any damage to this o ring if I sweat the darn thing in? The valve is at the jobsite so no pics.
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Re: Butterfly valve installation

You should wipe the solder with a wet rag.

J.C.

Comment

Then check the joint with a mirror.....thanks for the plethora of information. Where my buffing wheel? Gotta shine some some joints up.
      Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Ben, you have any info on the valve, make, model or figure number that I can look up on the net?

I've worked with plenty of butterfly valves up to 84", but never run across an 1-1/2" one.
        "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
        John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

Tin the pipe prior to sweating the valve.

Direct the torch flame away from the valve.

Keep a spray bottle of water handy to quench the valve.

Comment

Here's the valve. When we order stuff for the Navy projects, we have to put "or equivilant" on every LI. Unfortunantly someone thinks that this is equivilant to a ball valve.
            Attached Files
            Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

It's a sweat valve, sweat away.

I'd sweat open with maybe a cooling towel near the middle.

J.C.

Comment

What about the dental mirror?
                Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                  What about the dental mirror?
                  Don't make me tell you where that goes.

J.C.

Comment

Mmmmmm Butterball....
                    West Trail Mechanical Ltd
                    Service. Commitment. Expertise.

www.westtrailmechanical.ca

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                      It's a sweat valve, sweat away.

I'd sweat open with maybe a cooling towel near the middle.

J.C.
                      What JC said. Least amount of contact between the disc and body to less chance of damaging the o-ring seal.

What is the application? Does not matter what some dumb purchasing agent 'thought' was a ball valve. If the butterfly valve is not the correct type then don't use it. Could it create a safety risk using this valve? Is the o-ring material compatible with the process fluid? Does it have the proper pressure rating and approvals for the intended application?
                      "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
                      John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

Working...
                      X