i've been "rheemed"

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: i've been "rheemed"

Number one reason I don't supply water heaters, trying to make a margin off the product.

No matter what you've estimated your time worth, the frustration, the disapointment of the customer, the down time and mind space boils to one equation:

You didn't make this product, you just installed it.

I've dodged this bullet a lot of times when a customer supplied water heater has malfunctioned, especially a GE/Rheem from Home Depot and the first thing I state,

"We are charging for our time to come out and remedy the problem. If it has to do with anything we've done in regards to workmanship, it's covered. Mechanical malfunction is not covered."

It's not under my cloak of 'do good' to make it operable because of their buying choice.

Product reliability has went down hill for many products these days, sad.
    Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Just have to remove the sealed burner door to make it an atmospheric.

We have been putting in Rheem water heaters for at least ten years now. I think if we have had 40 warranty heaters in that time. I figure that we probably put in 200-300 heaters a year and that would be on the conservative side. They seem to hold up pretty decent here.

Comment

I've only personally ever had 1 leaking Bradford, and that was noticed hours after I left, it was just the threads around the T&P had a crack in them. I'm sure others will have had some problems, but they are hard to beat for me.

I am hearing that AO smith has some pretty neat new products due out first quarter of 2010
        No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Originally posted by Clipper City Plumber View Post
          I would like to know how many of your heater replacements ie every six or eight years the heaters keep going up if you guys see this how many of them have water softners installed, and do any of you replace anode rods? The reason I ask is both A.O. smith and Bradford white claim that having a water softner speeds up the depletion rate of the anode and I have started to notice this on jobs. If the customer complains "this is the thrid water heater in 15 yrs" I kinda look around for a softner and latley I find they have one and recommend that the rod be replaced and tell them to think of it as changing the oil in their car. On the rheem thing I have never put one in the gas company installs them thru the home service company and none of the local supplyers stock them I would guess the buy them by the truck load since they get are money for the gas and electric.But I do pull them out all the time.
          They told me the same thing. The brand was State though.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
            put a rheem 50 gallon lo nox fvir r-16 heater 10 days ago. customer called 4 days later and complained about no hot water. go there and re-lite the heater.

looking through a 1'' glass port inches off the ground, it was difficult to see the burner and flame.

next day i get another call, no heat

called up my supply house, the factory rep and even the factory. they were going to overnight a new gas valve based on their hunch. i asked them to have the authorized service co. come out to take care of it as i was already booked the next day.

they come out and measure the gas pressure, ok, vent ok, makeup air ok, water pressure ok. they change the gas valve and leave.

next day phone call, no heat called the service center and they sch. to come out that day. so i get a call on friday at 2 pm that the "trd" glass bulb is tripped and that the heater has to be replaced as the part is not replaceable for a lo nox heater great, when can you install it

come to find out they only service the heaters, not install them so at 2 pm on a friday i need to get a heater and have it installed as i am already booked all day saturday. meanwhile the supply house can't get the heater there as all the drivers went home.

i figure i'll just go by and relight the heater so they have some hot water for the weekend

wrong, this is what i found when i returned. the heater all torn apart and the pilot assembly was missing. so even if i could have re-lit it, the parts were missing.

monday i get the new heater and installed it.

yes, i sent a bill to the supply house as i'm out all my time for the re install and all the trips to light it and coordinate with the customer and repair people.

rick.

burner assembly sitting outside.

front sealed cover assembly and air intake. notice the small 1'' glass window.

inner burner compartment.

tripped trd.

this is how i found the heater. pilot assembly was missing too.

rick.
            You say you relit it? I thought that if a TRD was tripped/broken you would get absolutely nothing. No pilot or first ignition at all. Wrong?

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by Plumbducky View Post
              Just have to remove the sealed burner door to make it an atmospheric.

not in this case. the makeup air comes from the bottom and is fed by the bottom burner gasket area. in order to get the air, you would have to spring open the "trd". too far in to reach. plus they took the pilot assembly and left the heater in pieces.

out here we have the lo nox version. no where else in the country is this heater used, yet the rest of the country has a replaceabe trd and it can be repired in the field.

We have been putting in Rheem water heaters for at least ten years now. I think if we have had 40 warranty heaters in that time. I figure that we probably put in 200-300 heaters a year and that would be on the conservative side. They seem to hold up pretty decent here.
              Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
              You say you relit it? I thought that if a TRD was tripped/broken you would get absolutely nothing. No pilot or first ignition at all. Wrong?

J.C.
              wrong, the trd closes off the air intake. so you would get a pilot and flame, until it starves for air.

remember that the first service tech blew it by replacing the gas valve. according to the service co. this is the second one they have come accross with a bad trd. it's like the glass bulb in a fire sprinkler head.

so far so good. 2 days still working

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

rick how does a low nox compare to a non low nox heater in cost, do they use less gas? or is this just some joke to make life harder for people in Cal.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                  wrong, the trd closes off the air intake. so you would get a pilot and flame, until it starves for air.

remember that the first service tech blew it by replacing the gas valve. according to the service co. this is the second one they have come accross with a bad trd. it's like the glass bulb in a fire sprinkler head.

so far so good. 2 days still working

rick.
                  I knew it was like a fire sprinkler control, but was told that when it is blown, that you get nothing. And if you get something that points your troubleshooting away from the TRD.

Luckily, no Low Nox to deal with.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by Clipper City Plumber View Post
                    rick how does a low nox compare to a non low nox heater in cost, do they use less gas? or is this just some joke to make life harder for people in Cal.
                    a very, very good price for a 50 lo nox is 460 and a 40, 430. they actually have a little less btu's. 36,000 compared to 40,000.

it's supposed to lower the nitrous oxides from the products of combustion.

don't worry, we're the guinea pigs out here. don't worry, the rest of the country is coming on sooner than later

next mission. remove the lead from the brass. jan. 2010

rick.
                    phoebe it is

Comment

I gather you are in Calif......that is the "flux capacitor" from the ULTRA-LO-NOX units.

Comment

Wow Rick...sorry to hear of your woes. You've got me really concerned as I almost always use HD for 50 gallon water heater replacements. Last batch were GE variety installed over 10 years ago. This is with the 12-warranty and I normally swap them out after the warranty expires. Nothing but good luck for me and the last time I checks they were still selling GE's. Hope I don't get jinx'd BTW, prices of everything is almost always going up. Prior 50 gallon 10-yr warranteed AO-Smith's sold for less then $500 which is a bargain now!

Comment

why are we digging up 3 year old threads again?

Comment

Originally posted by TheMaster
                            If that heater is 10 days old then why all the rust? It it is 10 days old I bet the vent was not correct and the heater was not venting properly.......causing excessive condensation and eventually the TRD tripped. Sure is alot of rust for a 10 day old heater. Somthing does not seem right.

I bet the pilot tube was missing because when ever who worked on it took the pilot tube loose from the pilot assemblly and when they did the 1/8 tubing broke off......no way to repair it unless you have a pilot assembly or an entire burner assembly.

I assure you after the trd tripped the burner will not burn but for a couple seconds and it will all shut down.........you are able to light the pilot with the trd tripped and it will burn fine but when it calls for heat it will all shut off.

I think when you went back to "light" the pilot.....you missed somthing....during the course of everyone working on it the problem was corrected.

When a water heater condensates excessively it can drip on the pilot and put it out.........which you said you made a 2nd trip to light the pilot.

Everything points to a venting issue from what you have written and from what I see in the pics with the rust on a 10 day old heater.

This was three years ago.....when was the last time you checked on a trd replacement for the cal ultra low nox guardian?
                            this was not 3 years ao, this was 19 months ago.

i swapped out the heater the following monday and in 19 months all is good. the vent is all exterior type b venting. nothing was replaced other than the heater.

i would hope they have come up with a fix for the trd to be replaced in the field by now. but i don't know as i've not had to replace one yet.

according to the factory, the trd was not a replaceable part on the ultra lo nox heaters. that's why they authorized a replacement and eventually paid me my full fare on the change out and not their standard payout.

as far as the rust goes, this is just raw untreated steel and surface rust will happen with the products of combustion. especially when it's not burning correctly with the lack of intake air.

rick.
                            phoebe it is

Comment

this heater like most of our exterior heaters are installed in a metal 24'' x 24'' outdoor galvanized shed. we don't store gasoline or anything else in the shed, as it's barely has room for the heater itself. that's another reason why the 18'' height is not required outside of a garage.

rheem ended up picking up the tab on my bill. they paid me what i billed them, not what they felt like paying.

rick.
                              phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by Swade Plumbing View Post
                                why are we digging up 3 year old threads again?
                                WHY NOT ? It contains some valueable info. that Might help someone! Now go back to THE "Anthony trial Re runs! " HE HE
                                I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Working...
                                X