X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• i've been "rheemed"

put a rheem 50 gallon lo nox fvir r-16 heater 10 days ago. customer called 4 days later and complained about no hot water. go there and re-lite the heater.

looking through a 1'' glass port inches off the ground, it was difficult to see the burner and flame.

next day i get another call, no heat

called up my supply house, the factory rep and even the factory. they were going to overnight a new gas valve based on their hunch. i asked them to have the authorized service co. come out to take care of it as i was already booked the next day.

they come out and measure the gas pressure, ok, vent ok, makeup air ok, water pressure ok. they change the gas valve and leave.

next day phone call, no heat called the service center and they sch. to come out that day. so i get a call on friday at 2 pm that the "trd" glass bulb is tripped and that the heater has to be replaced as the part is not replaceable for a lo nox heater great, when can you install it

come to find out they only service the heaters, not install them so at 2 pm on a friday i need to get a heater and have it installed as i am already booked all day saturday. meanwhile the supply house can't get the heater there as all the drivers went home.

i figure i'll just go by and relight the heater so they have some hot water for the weekend

wrong, this is what i found when i returned. the heater all torn apart and the pilot assembly was missing. so even if i could have re-lit it, the parts were missing.

monday i get the new heater and installed it.

yes, i sent a bill to the supply house as i'm out all my time for the re install and all the trips to light it and coordinate with the customer and repair people.

rick.

burner assembly sitting outside.

front sealed cover assembly and air intake. notice the small 1'' glass window.

inner burner compartment.

tripped trd.

this is how i found the heater. pilot assembly was missing too.

rick.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by PLUMBER RICK; 12-23-2009, 02:18 AM.
    phoebe it is

Re: i've been "rheemed"

Let us know if the supply house agrees to pay that bill- that will set a precedence as far as waranties are concerned. I strongly believe that manufacturers should be held responsible for all costs incurred in these situations, but our local fergesons says product only, and since its the only place to buy from besides HD (Hacks Desire - i got a million of um), I smile, replace the defective unit, go home and eat their christmas present

Comment

In a pinch you could turn that water heater into a standard atmospheric water heater, if they would have left the pilot assembly. It would have given you a little time, till the schedule lightened up.

Comment

keep us posted, please. this is one reason i avoid wh. the other is that i'm 65 and they all weigh more than me. lol. breid..............

Comment

It sure looks rough for being 10 days out of the box..

Comment

That is an amazing story!Found myself shaking my head at this!
            I've put in around 2 water heaters a month, most Rheems and have
            had great *luck*.
            Sadly it should not come down to luck !
            Merry Christmas all.
            Last edited by Jay Mpls; 12-23-2009, 09:24 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by DELCASE View Post
              i agree. is that rust i see inside there? i know Cali is humid, but come on!......
              the only dumb question is the one that is not asked!

Comment

It tripped for a reason...and it does look rough.

Comment

Doesn't look like a new one to me, judging by the surface rust others have mentione.
                  I'm on "The List" and I love it!!

Comment

Originally posted by Plumbducky View Post
                    In a pinch you could turn that water heater into a standard atmospheric water heater, if they would have left the pilot assembly. It would have given you a little time, till the schedule lightened up.
                    that's what i thought too except i talked to my buddy steve and he thinks it would not work since the makeup air comes from the bottom ducting.

since the pilot assy./ thermocouple was missing, it was a no go.

rick.
                    phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by DELCASE View Post
                      you're correct. it does look rusty inside the burner assy.

not sure if the rust is from when they changed the gas valve the day before on the fly

the cardboard box looked good. they use to store the heaters outside. but i don't see that anymore.

the heater was made in may 09 and who knows what it was exposed to in its 7 months.

i sent the whole heater back, even though they just needed the rating plate/ sticker.

i guess i'll see if they come through.

bought a bradford for a job today. they pay $0 for a replacement install. found that out last year

rick.
                      phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post

not sure if the rust is from when they changed the gas valve the day before on the fly

the cardboard box looked good. they use to store the heaters outside. but i don't see that anymore.

the heater was made in may 09 and who knows what it was exposed to in its 7 months.

i sent the whole heater back, even though they just needed the rating plate/ sticker.

bought a bradford for a job today. they pay $0 for a replacement install. found that out last year

rick.
                        What a hassle!

Situations like this are what keep me going back to A.O. Smith or State.
                        Fergy is the only one with Bradford by us. Their pretty well priced, but I'm not too keen on the performance. Never have had a warranty issue with them.

Most supply houses by us are carrying State again now. They're not fancy out of the box, but they are a solid performer.

I've only had 1 warranty issue on an A.O. Smith last year. No cost to me or owner. I didn't even have to go out to the site. Service tech was there in an hour!

FYI, HD has the Rheem name back around, this time in a line of tankless heaters. Saw this on their website.

I'll never buy Rheem again. I leave those for the DIY and the HVAC guys. Last batch of Rheem that we installed about 9 years ago are crapping out already. Just pulled a 30 year old A.O. Smith out with our company sticker still on it last month.

-Chris

Comment

Here's the link to the RHEEM tankles advertised on the HD website:

http://www.homedepot.com/Building-Ma...atalogId=10053

Comment

I would like to know how many of your heater replacements ie every six or eight years the heaters keep going up if you guys see this how many of them have water softners installed, and do any of you replace anode rods? The reason I ask is both A.O. smith and Bradford white claim that having a water softner speeds up the depletion rate of the anode and I have started to notice this on jobs. If the customer complains "this is the thrid water heater in 15 yrs" I kinda look around for a softner and latley I find they have one and recommend that the rod be replaced and tell them to think of it as changing the oil in their car. On the rheem thing I have never put one in the gas company installs them thru the home service company and none of the local supplyers stock them I would guess the buy them by the truck load since they get are money for the gas and electric.But I do pull them out all the time.
                            Last edited by Clipper City Plumber; 12-23-2009, 12:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post

rick.
                              This is incorrect Bradford White pays $125 of the labor for a first year leaker, they have for years and years. 100% on repair labor for the first year, and 6 years standard on parts. BWC heaters will never require replacement due to ECO tripping like a rheem, they have a resetable thermal switch.

Rick if your supplier is telling you otherwise PM me and I may be able to help you out.

Comment

Working...
                              X