Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

How To Post Images

Want to know the how to upload images to your posts? Image Posting Tutorial
See more
See less

Three sump pumps, all on warranty!

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Three sump pumps, all on warranty!

    I changed out three sumps today. All different model brands, all still under warranty. All of the pump floats/switches went bad (I can only speculate). I dont repair them, I swap them out. This sometimes draws its critics, but the last time I swapped out a swich the pump went out a month later. Customer ended up spending an extra $200. Not that I want to carry parts for every brand of sump either!

    What gives?

    Where is the quality?

    Homeowners were rightly upset.

  • #2
    Re: Three sump pumps, all on warranty!

    Stuff happens. I too replace the whole pump if it is under warranty. If it is not and the home owner only wants a new switch and it is a pump where I can change the switch I will, but I will advise them against it.
    Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
    A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
    Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
    Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Three sump pumps, all on warranty!

      we have had 2 sumps under 2 years and 1 sewage under 1 year go bad this year. I don't think they are making them to last just like water heaters.
      Seattle Drain Service

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Three sump pumps, all on warranty!

        We must digress into the new corporate paradigm

        Quality has given way to the almighty corporate profit.

        You would think that as we have gotten smarter as a species over the eons logic follows that the things we make should get better and better over time as we refine the design and construction.

        Unfortunately that logic is in direct conflict with every current business model.

        I can not point to a product today that lasts longer than it's counterpart made 30-50 years ago.

        The new corporate mantra is if we can't design it to fail in a specified timeframe, we will mark it up, repackage it, new and improve it so it will fail within the specified timeframe.

        Think about where we would be as a species if the goal of production was simply to produce the cheapest, longest lasting products current technolgy will allow as opposed to everyone constantly reinventing the wheel for the sake of the almighty dollar.

        Look around, The largest retailer in the world is Wal-mart the problems we face are systemic.

        Everything is connected you just have to see the strings.

        Try to imagine how the world would be if all of the products we purchased came with a lifetime no strings guarentee because the quality and technology allowed it.

        There would be alot of people out of work that is for sure.

        Planned obsolescence keeps an ever growing world population busy and on the ever spinning hamster wheel of consumption.

        The argument is easily made that our greed which is guided by our corporately driven desires is nothing more then modern day slavery.

        So ends Okiebills Sunday sermon

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Three sump pumps, all on warranty!

          All I can say to that is: HUH? Of course I stayed up until 2 am playing Guitar Hero with my daughter, so I'm a little fuzzy.
          www.ClinkscalesSeptic.com

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Three sump pumps, all on warranty!

            Pretty slick statement OkieBill.


            The bottom line is we are getting trapped into this. I have a customer that's pissed at me because a battery backup sump pump, along with a zoeller pump went bad within 3 years.

            Both had to be replaced recently.

            I even discounted the work, still upset.


            I agree with them totally, I'd be upset as well. I recommended both these products as I've had good success with them both. This particular job, water is moving differently under the slabs.

            You go to this house after a rain, 2 weeks ago and you'd think it rained last night. That's how much water is moving through the ground at their home.

            I took video/pictures of each time I've installed this pump, more so for the educational background for others to see. If another plumber takes my place because of their attitude, I certainly don't have any concern as I didn't leave anything out there to get me in trouble in regards to workmanship.

            No one can ignore the volume of ground water entering this structure. Thank goodness, I have it set up far better than the last one, meaning I went from a M53 to a N53 with that float switch now at a higher elevation to grab a larger area of ground water between cycles.

            I didn't have access to that switch assembly years ago when I put that first one in. It's all I put in at this point.
            Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Three sump pumps, all on warranty!

              Originally posted by OkieBill View Post
              We must digress into the new corporate paradigm

              Quality has given way to the almighty corporate profit.

              You would think that as we have gotten smarter as a species over the eons logic follows that the things we make should get better and better over time as we refine the design and construction.

              Unfortunately that logic is in direct conflict with every current business model.

              I can not point to a product today that lasts longer than it's counterpart made 30-50 years ago.

              The new corporate mantra is if we can't design it to fail in a specified timeframe, we will mark it up, repackage it, new and improve it so it will fail within the specified timeframe.

              Think about where we would be as a species if the goal of production was simply to produce the cheapest, longest lasting products current technolgy will allow as opposed to everyone constantly reinventing the wheel for the sake of the almighty dollar.

              Look around, The largest retailer in the world is Wal-mart the problems we face are systemic.

              Everything is connected you just have to see the strings.

              Try to imagine how the world would be if all of the products we purchased came with a lifetime no strings guarentee because the quality and technology allowed it.

              There would be alot of people out of work that is for sure.

              Planned obsolescence keeps an ever growing world population busy and on the ever spinning hamster wheel of consumption.

              The argument is easily made that our greed which is guided by our corporately driven desires is nothing more then modern day slavery.

              So ends Okiebills Sunday sermon
              Now it's starting to sink in. Gotta' get me a case of the thinnest metal 1.25" p-traps I can find. Start putting in Enviro-Temp water heaters exclusively. Noting but Glacier Bay from now on.

              Anyone know where I can get some Orangeburg?

              J.C.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Three sump pumps, all on warranty!

                I just want a water heater that will last as long as some of the 30+ year old ones i'm having to replace.
                No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Three sump pumps, all on warranty!

                  Nothing to do with plumbing ,but with product reliability.

                  I lost a 15year customer this summer on a warranty compressor replacement. The cheap Chinese made capacitor had splayed it's guts all over the control box, which leads me to believe the capacitor took the compressor with it.The unit was installed in 06.The compressor died in July09.
                  The cost to the customer for labor, parts (fittings, driers, etc), capacitor, and refrigerant was right at $600.00. Which their arguement was they'd payed close to $2k in 06 for a new condensing unit and three years later having to shell out another $600 in warranty repairs.Plus my supplier charged $50.00 freight which I added to the invoice. Didn't make any new friends with that move.
                  I don't blame them for being pissed. I even cut them some slack on my labor and didn't mark up the parts. For whatever good it did!
                  I've just about quit installing new equipment because of the substandard crap components in them. I usually break even or lose money on warranty repairs. Makes you out a villian when you get called back to repair the piece of crap.

                  James

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Three sump pumps, all on warranty!

                    Originally posted by MoJourneyman View Post
                    I just want a water heater that will last as long as some of the 30+ year old ones i'm having to replace.
                    I had a 10 year old 50 gal. State go tits up last night. Water everywhere

                    Going with a Bradford White. I have some old Ruud Rheems that were installed in the early 80's that are still going. Clean the rust off the burners every few years and fire them back up and your good to go.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Three sump pumps, all on warranty!

                      I use Bradford White water heaters, But I have no illusions about them, they'll last longer than a whirlpool, and some of the other contractor brands, but they aren't 30 year water heaters.
                      No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Three sump pumps, all on warranty!

                        Originally posted by MoJourneyman View Post
                        I use Bradford White water heaters, But I have no illusions about them, they'll last longer than a whirlpool, and some of the other contractor brands, but they aren't 30 year water heaters.
                        The reason for using a Bradford White water heater is, the supply house will deliver it free and the driver will help me drag it up the stairs.

                        james

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X