Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hdpe pinch off vice.

have you ever needed to pinch off plastic hdpe gas pipe in an emergency

sometimes the landscaper cuts the line to a pool or fire pit. or house main. here is the newest tool that i just aquired. adam is jealous

reed res2 1/2''- 2'' ips with adjustable stops.

rick.

1/2''- 2'' capacity with tappings for a 1/2'' pipe handle to assist in holding back the tool.

the adjustable stops at each side of the tool to properly crush the hdpe at each ips size.

swing open lower jaw to allow for clamping and removal.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by PLUMBER RICK; 12-27-2009, 04:30 PM.
    phoebe it is

Re: hdpe pinch off vice.

I've seen the Gas Co. use tools like that..............like for the time My Ditchwitch cut right through one! I used vice grips to slow down the leak untill their 4 trucks showed up. Luckly I was off the hook because their plastic pipe was only 13" deep! I gladly pointed that out to them.

Comment

They work on soft copper to.
      They also have a "rounding" tool but it's a PIA.
      INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
      Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Gas Co. by us uses a welders vice grip that was slightly modified. I mentioned to him about the pinch off tool he said the vice grips are much faster.
        Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
        A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
        Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
        Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

those will work on the smaller 1/2'' cts size and maybe the 3/4'' size. but i don't see a vice grip working on the large sizes. this vice works up to 2'' ips which is pretty much the upper size i do for pools.

they make a vce up to 8'' which has a hydraulic piston to close the jaws.

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

For here, the flexible PE pipe I've ran into you can just grab and kink it back.

Then hold it together with whatever, get away from it, and call the gas company. The thing about it is to do everything fast to eliminate the "gas pocket" you could be sitting in. That tool seems too slow.

Even static electricity around it can get you killed. What the gas guys say.

J.C.

Comment

The line he used the vice grip on was an 1 1/2 line. Here is a picture of an unmodified vice grip. I am talking about.

Attached Files
              Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
              A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
              Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
              Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                For here, the flexible PE pipe I've ran into you can just grab and kink it back.

Then hold it together with whatever, get away from it, and call the gas company. The thing about it is to do everything fast to eliminate the "gas pocket" you could be sitting in. That tool seems too slow.

J.C.
                After seeing the gas company do this kink on a job that's how I do it.
                We gouged a backhoe bucket into a 2"x45psi PE line the first year I was plumbing.Gas service tech was so aloof,just mosied over to the hose bib,filled a five gallon bucket with water and fanned the hole it to bring the static electricity down.

Seeing Rick's purchase did bring back some memmories.Can't beat the price.I'm just sorry to say it will never get used in his field.I'm the one hiring out the backhoes.
                Give it to me.

Thank you for informing me on the deal for the propress.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post

J.C.
                  assuming that the pipe is cut in half, then you could fold it over. but it seems like most lines are nicked and folding over is not possible.

static electricity is a concern. there is a ground wire missing from this vice. another way is to use a wet rag and wipe the pipe down along with the tool. natural gas will only burn and ignite between 4-14% gas to air.

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

They cut and fold.
                    Vice was used on the repair

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                      After seeing the gas company do this kink on a job that's how I do it.
                      We gouged a backhoe bucket into a 2"x45psi PE line the first year I was plumbing.Gas service tech was so aloof,just mosied over to the hose bib,filled a five gallon bucket with water and fanned the hole it to bring the static electricity down.

Seeing Rick's purchase did bring back some memmories.Can't beat the price.I'm just sorry to say it will never get used in his field.I'm the one hiring out the backhoes.
                      Give it to me.

Thank you for informing me on the deal for the propress.
                      adam, how many people can say they hit a high pressure hdpe gas line while snaking out a sewer main
                      i can

plus i've been called to repair others leaks as i have the fusion equipment.

who says it's only a gas thing.

remember the time i used a bolt cutter to pinch off a 3/4'' copper line that was sheared it worked great. i was able to freeze it and then repair the line along with the crimp i put into it. i'll try a piece of copper and see what i can do

you're welcome to borrow it

merry christmas

rick.
                      phoebe it is

Comment

Sorry, but it's driving me crazy.

I have way more vices than you, Rick.

A vice is a bad habit, like smoking, drinking, or being annoying about spelling.

A mechanical device used to clamp and hold things is a vise.
                        Last edited by Ace Sewer; 12-28-2009, 11:04 PM.
                        This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                          adam,
                          you're welcome to borrow it

merry christmas

rick.
                          These are the only words I heard you say.

Comment

I have made a few of those pinch off tools for my buddy's in the excavation biz. Nothing worse than a bad DigSafe marking.

Comment

Hey Plumber Rick it is interestng to see this tool. Funny as it may sound I was in one of the wholesalers not long ago and they had a manufactured one on the shelf but it was an adjustible version. Didnt worry about cost but it wasnt too expensive.
                              As a question for those that clamp off do you beleive the pipe is compromised because of the clamp. Do you believe that the flattened area loses its strength and integrity. Mind you it would only be critical on high pressure mains but always look for others opinions.

Comment

Working...
                              X