X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Milwaukee TearDown

Not sure where to put this or if anyone is interested. But I do refer to my Milwaukee Sawzall as "The Plumbers Scalpel" so I'll put it here.

Quit working this past week and started giving the rattle. I've done it before (been awhile) but thought it might help others that want to work on theirs.

So here's some pics. Some will be self explanatory and some I might include a comment or two. You WILL need some Torx screwdrivers of different sizes. ("Star" shaped. Somtimes used in auto-body trim.)

Pic. 1-The Sawzall.

Pic. 4-You must rotate the pin you just removed the screw from to get the shoe out. Pair of needle nose. Just rotate 45 degrees (I think) to where it's parallel with the body, wiggle the shoe, and it should come out.

Pic. 9-Shows a screw you won't be able to see underneath all the grease. I have the screwdriver on it.

Pic. 10-Shows the typical culprit area I've ran into. The gear teeth on the shaft are broken.

Maximum number of pics. for a post. I'll continue in the next post...

J.C.
    Last edited by BobsPlumbing; 01-18-2010, 11:40 PM.

Re: Milwaukee TearDown

Continuation....

At Pic. 13-Brushes are on the top and bottom under a Phillips head plastic cap. Good idea to look at them now. They may not need changing at all but will pop out when you pull the armature. If you don't get them out now, you might lose parts.

At Pic. 14-There are two more Torx screws here on this bracket. You have to remove them and 4 slide on wires to be able to drive the armature out.

At Pic. 16&17-Just showing where you might have to give a medium tap to the outside edge of the bearing to get the armature out.

Pic. 19&20-The aggravating S.O.B.

In conclusion, I hate to say this, but with the cost of labor and parts you might be better off to throw your Sawzall away. But if you just want to work on it while watching Football or whatever there is a certain satisfaction to making the repairs to what you use.

J.C.
    Last edited by BobsPlumbing; 01-18-2010, 11:40 PM.

Comment

jc, time for a new one. at this point the cost for the parts are more than what the saw is worth. keep the scrap parts for the next one.

the sawzall is the most used and abused power tool we plumbers use.

maybe that's why i have over 20 of them

how about a 10 pack of dewalts i bought a couple weeks ago

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

I see the problem JC. It's red when it should be yellow.
        Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
          I see the problem JC. It's red when it should be yellow.
          Could be. I've not owned a DeWalt but am willing to try one. This seems to be the only weak link in the Milwaukee Sawzall chain.

Blade punches break the gears. If it had some sort of internal-kickback-suppression it would be unbeatable.

J.C.

Comment

Stick it back together and sell it on ebay or craigslist.

Used an old Rockwell for 20 plus years at my old job. We had a journeyman plumber who could tear up an anvil with a crowbar, but he couldn't break the old Rockwell.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
              jc, time for a new one. at this point the cost for the parts are more than what the saw is worth. keep the scrap parts for the next one.

the sawzall is the most used and abused power tool we plumbers use.

maybe that's why i have over 20 of them

how about a 10 pack of dewalts i bought a couple weeks ago

rick.
              Wow, you must have alot of money and storage. Not poor old J.C..

New one is only $99.00 at HD. Part for repair is $45.00.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                Wow, you must have alot of money and storage. Not poor old J.C..

New one is only $99.00 at HD. Part for repair is $45.00.

J.C.

I'd repair before replace, but you need new grease for the head of that saw.

Don't forget gaskets, and threadloc on those screws so they don't back out, now that they are out.

I've had a Dewalt sawzall now since early 90's, have no clue where it's at but I've had it reworked once or twice; first time for a new cord, second for the front end of the saw loosened up.

The reason I'm not using it now is because the blade holder is broke. I tried to mig that broken piece back together, even looked great, but the stress crack came right back.

I have a new holder I have to roll pin back in...if I ever get the time to task and do it.

I bought a cheapo harbor freight one to cut steel a couple years ago, works great but will never stand the test of time.

My dewalt however? You can't kill it. It's ratty, if that's the right word for it. It's just got a ton of power and rpms that you need when cutting through certain metals or wood. You can slow down the blade to a crawl as well. None of that quick on and off. Variable speed works great.

I've got access to a porter cable sawzall that shows up every now and then, when I'm digging through the back of my truck.

If you're wondering why I cant/don't know where my sawzall is? I rarely use it anymore.

Everything I do now comes from the use of a $24 tool >>> 4" angle grinder with diamond blade from harbor freight. Cuts anything I need cut. Metal or concrete, clay, even wood in a pinch. Gets a little smokey on the wood cutting talent.
                Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

If it's not a cord, trigger or brushes it goes right in the trash can. Pretty much the same for the Milwaukee right angle drills.

Comment

I keep trying Dewalt with the same results, they break, they suck. I own nothing yellow anymore, Ive had enough of that cheap crap. If you have to buy another either get the super sawzall or go with a Porter Cable tiger saw.

Rick, how many employees do you have that you need to have 20+ sawzalls on hand?
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
                      If it's not a cord, trigger or brushes it goes right in the trash can. Pretty much the same for the Milwaukee right angle drills.

You've had a bad experience with a Milwaukeee hole hawg?
                      Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Hole hawgs have made me see stars but rarely have a problem with them.

The RAD is crap unless you're drilling for 1/2" and 3/4" water pipe.

Comment

Ridgid's 1/2" angle drill is miles better than Milwaukee's hole hawg. The Ridgid drill has a clutch that saves the hi speed gear set and it has more power too. Nice drill, same price.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                            I keep trying Dewalt with the same results, they break, they suck. I own nothing yellow anymore, Ive had enough of that cheap crap. If you have to buy another either get the super sawzall or go with a Porter Cable tiger saw.

Rick, how many employees do you have that you need to have 20+ sawzalls on hand?

A guy can't have too many tools.

http://treebeard31.wordpress.com/200...oo-many-tools/

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post

when i first went out on my own, i took on a 155 unit repipe with my uncle. lots of pipe needed cutting. had 5 employees at that time.

today i have none so i have lots of spare cash to buy the tools/ toys

who wouldn't buy all the brand new dewalts on the shelf for $35.00 each

if they had more, i would have bought more

rick.
                              phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
                              X