sharkbites suck

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: sharkbites suck

I am not sure if they persued it or not. I did answer a bunch of questions for the adjuster. Nobody wanted the fitting. When I spoke to the manufacturers rep, he told me that if the fitting was released from the pipe (it was), don't even bother sending it in to them. They wanted us to cut the coupling out on both sides, and leave the pipe intact, in the fitting. My ins. co. didn't want it either. I think the damages were like $2K.

My rates did not go up substansially. They go up every year anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by OkieBill View Post
      It works differently with plumbing materials.. Since PB is not listed in the sharkbite literature it should not be used and has not been rated on PB .

Cash Acme will not cover them under warranty when used on PB (Straight from Cash Acme)

Your insurance will find you negligent for using improper materials in the event of a failure.

Your disclaimer is worthless in the event of a claim given these circumstances

PB to Pex transition crimp fitting is the only proper way to do the job.
      I thank you for your information reguarding this. I looked up sharkbites and Techtites on their sites and as stated they did not recommend them on PB pipe. I will stop using them for this purpose even though I have not had any failures. What I did come accross on my searching is that the Watts Company has their own version of a Sharkbite that is recommended for Polybutylene, copper, pex and cpvc piping. So to cover my tail better I will start using the Watts fitting for PB to pex transitions.

Comment

If I have to deal with pb I use a pex transition fitting to go from the
        stuff.I wouldn't trust a sharkbite on that stuff at ALL.
        Walking through the Home Dumpster yesterday I see they carry sharkbite brand
        pex.This seems to take the place of the Zurn pex that they carried.

Comment

I feel the pb fitting they sell now are just as bad as the pb it self.
          When i am forced to have to fix pb i will go from pb to male and switch to copper in between..or all the way
          pb is a time bomb

Comment

Recently I have been called out to a ten unit condo unit. Each condo has a wet spot and drywall turning green. I opened up the wall a found shark bite couplings seeping at the middle of the shark bite. The shark bite couples were laid against the block wall and drywall.
            The issue is not the shark bite but the improper installation. The water piping has not been de-burred and has an edge that cuts the o-ring seal.

Comment

Working...
            X