X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sharkbites suck

Just finished a Sunday call 4 story less then 2 year old condo building, called out for a water leak flooding 4 floors (4 units and common areas) Piped in copper I thought ok at least it's copper then saw 16 water heaters with the expansion tanks all set on the hot side, I thought hmmm could be anything.
    Drilled a hole in between the floors put my seesnake compact in and what do I see a sharkbite all the way blown off the pipe on one side. Really no reason for it to be there sweat fittings everywhere but on a long run in between the joists they used a single sharkbite. Wow about 8k in damages. Most of the tenants where away for xmas.
    Seattle Drain Service

Re: sharkbites suck

They may not have shoved the copper all the way in for a positive lock. I use Sharkbites sparringly usually for repair on Polybutylene piping under moblehomes. I have experimented with them at the school district on copper installations just to see how they hold up. Surprisingly well if the pipe is well supported. They have their place on my truck, but of course if I can solder, I will solder.

Comment

It lasted near 2 years, I carry some for temp repairs always to return to fix it right in the morning. Of course there is no way to prove it was faulty or installed wrong but it did come off and caused so much damage.
      Seattle Drain Service

Comment

cuda do you use the propress system?

Comment

Yes I use the propress copper fittings and viega pure flow pex system even have the jaws for regular pex crimp rings for zurn etc. Rick made the system seem so cool with the ridgid pipe freezer I bought that also. (note to self quit reading ricks posts)
          Seattle Drain Service

Comment

As far as I know sharkbites are not rated for PB. Even in a trailer that could be a huge liability!

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Ooter View Post
              As far as I know sharkbites are not rated for PB. Even in a trailer that could be a huge liability!
              correct, I believe the thinking is that its better than a PB to pex transition fitting.
              No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Haven't used a sharkbite in months.

I like it that way though. But, if you think about it, how often are john guest fittings used in RO systems?
                Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

i see this type on every appliance out there and have never seen one fail. but i will have to say they are all under 3/8 inch.
                  the only dumb question is the one that is not asked!

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Ooter View Post
                    I have not found where Sharkbite specifically states not to use on PB. The O.D. appears to be the same on PB, CPVC, copper, and pex. Whenever I do any repairs regarding PB piping I write a big disclaimer on the invoice on the inherent pattern failures of P.B. piping, and any connections to it. CYA

Comment

PB Pipe + Mobil Home + Cold Weather = Perfect Storm

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Slate View Post
                        PB Pipe + Mobil Home + Cold Weather = Perfect Storm
                        PB pipe + Any building + Any weather = Perfect Storm

Comment

Originally posted by plumb4life View Post
                          I have not found where Sharkbite specifically states not to use on PB. The O.D. appears to be the same on PB, CPVC, copper, and pex. Whenever I do any repairs regarding PB piping I write a big disclaimer on the invoice on the inherent pattern failures of P.B. piping, and any connections to it. CYA
                          It works differently with plumbing materials.. Since PB is not listed in the sharkbite literature it should not be used and has not been rated on PB .

Cash Acme will not cover them under warranty when used on PB (Straight from Cash Acme)

Your insurance will find you negligent for using improper materials in the event of a failure.

Your disclaimer is worthless in the event of a claim given these circumstances

PB to Pex transition crimp fitting is the only proper way to do the job.

Comment

Don't even worry about a warranty. They don't honor jack!! That company has zero customer service. They do not care about a plumber. I guess they are more concerned about selling their garbage to a homeowner.

I used one, once, to transition from cpvc to copper. Blew off the cpvc side the next day. I marked the stab depth, just like you do a gas riser. It was all the way in. The sharpie mark was still there.

They said it wasn't all the way in. BS!!!

My insurance had to cover it.

I will NEVER use that junk again.

Have I said that they are JUNK?

Comment

did your insurance company try to pursue it? or did they just pay it and raise your rates?

rick.
                              phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
                              X