X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rich34232
    replied
    Re: sharkbites suck

Recently I have been called out to a ten unit condo unit. Each condo has a wet spot and drywall turning green. I opened up the wall a found shark bite couplings seeping at the middle of the shark bite. The shark bite couples were laid against the block wall and drywall.
    The issue is not the shark bite but the improper installation. The water piping has not been de-burred and has an edge that cuts the o-ring seal.

Leave a comment:

• DELCASE
    replied

I feel the pb fitting they sell now are just as bad as the pb it self.
    When i am forced to have to fix pb i will go from pb to male and switch to copper in between..or all the way
    pb is a time bomb

Leave a comment:

• Jay Mpls
    replied

If I have to deal with pb I use a pex transition fitting to go from the
    stuff.I wouldn't trust a sharkbite on that stuff at ALL.
    Walking through the Home Dumpster yesterday I see they carry sharkbite brand
    pex.This seems to take the place of the Zurn pex that they carried.

Leave a comment:

• plumb4life
    replied

Originally posted by OkieBill View Post
    It works differently with plumbing materials.. Since PB is not listed in the sharkbite literature it should not be used and has not been rated on PB .

Cash Acme will not cover them under warranty when used on PB (Straight from Cash Acme)

Your insurance will find you negligent for using improper materials in the event of a failure.

Your disclaimer is worthless in the event of a claim given these circumstances

PB to Pex transition crimp fitting is the only proper way to do the job.
    I thank you for your information reguarding this. I looked up sharkbites and Techtites on their sites and as stated they did not recommend them on PB pipe. I will stop using them for this purpose even though I have not had any failures. What I did come accross on my searching is that the Watts Company has their own version of a Sharkbite that is recommended for Polybutylene, copper, pex and cpvc piping. So to cover my tail better I will start using the Watts fitting for PB to pex transitions.

Leave a comment:

• RealLivePlumber
    replied

I am not sure if they persued it or not. I did answer a bunch of questions for the adjuster. Nobody wanted the fitting. When I spoke to the manufacturers rep, he told me that if the fitting was released from the pipe (it was), don't even bother sending it in to them. They wanted us to cut the coupling out on both sides, and leave the pipe intact, in the fitting. My ins. co. didn't want it either. I think the damages were like $2K.

My rates did not go up substansially. They go up every year anyway.

Leave a comment:

• PLUMBER RICK
    replied

did your insurance company try to pursue it? or did they just pay it and raise your rates?

rick.

Leave a comment:

• RealLivePlumber
    replied

Don't even worry about a warranty. They don't honor jack!! That company has zero customer service. They do not care about a plumber. I guess they are more concerned about selling their garbage to a homeowner.

I used one, once, to transition from cpvc to copper. Blew off the cpvc side the next day. I marked the stab depth, just like you do a gas riser. It was all the way in. The sharpie mark was still there.

They said it wasn't all the way in. BS!!!

My insurance had to cover it.

I will NEVER use that junk again.

Have I said that they are JUNK?

Leave a comment:

• OkieBill
    replied

Originally posted by plumb4life View Post
    I have not found where Sharkbite specifically states not to use on PB. The O.D. appears to be the same on PB, CPVC, copper, and pex. Whenever I do any repairs regarding PB piping I write a big disclaimer on the invoice on the inherent pattern failures of P.B. piping, and any connections to it. CYA
    It works differently with plumbing materials.. Since PB is not listed in the sharkbite literature it should not be used and has not been rated on PB .

Cash Acme will not cover them under warranty when used on PB (Straight from Cash Acme)

Your insurance will find you negligent for using improper materials in the event of a failure.

Your disclaimer is worthless in the event of a claim given these circumstances

PB to Pex transition crimp fitting is the only proper way to do the job.

Leave a comment:

• plumb4life
    replied

Originally posted by Mr Slate View Post
    PB Pipe + Mobil Home + Cold Weather = Perfect Storm
    PB pipe + Any building + Any weather = Perfect Storm

Leave a comment:

• Mr Slate
    replied

PB Pipe + Mobil Home + Cold Weather = Perfect Storm

Leave a comment:

• plumb4life
    replied

Originally posted by Mr. Ooter View Post
    As far as I know sharkbites are not rated for PB. Even in a trailer that could be a huge liability!
    I have not found where Sharkbite specifically states not to use on PB. The O.D. appears to be the same on PB, CPVC, copper, and pex. Whenever I do any repairs regarding PB piping I write a big disclaimer on the invoice on the inherent pattern failures of P.B. piping, and any connections to it. CYA

Leave a comment:

• Jerad
    replied

i see this type on every appliance out there and have never seen one fail. but i will have to say they are all under 3/8 inch.

Leave a comment:

• DUNBAR PLUMBING
    replied

Haven't used a sharkbite in months.

I like it that way though. But, if you think about it, how often are john guest fittings used in RO systems?

Leave a comment:

• MoJourneyman
    replied

Originally posted by Mr. Ooter View Post
    As far as I know sharkbites are not rated for PB. Even in a trailer that could be a huge liability!
    correct, I believe the thinking is that its better than a PB to pex transition fitting.

Leave a comment:

• Mr. Ooter
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X