X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuego & Cast Iron

Anyone own one of these? Can it cut 3" CI?

http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/R3030-On...w/EN/index.htm

Thanks.

J.C.

Re: Fuego & Cast Iron

You're good at rebuilding sawzalls. Why stop at 3"? They make 9" diamond blades-I'd cut 6" CI easy.
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
      You're good at rebuilding sawzalls. Why stop at 3"? They make 9" diamond blades-I'd cut 6" CI easy.
      Just wondering if it had some plastic internals that would melt under load. The lower Amps don't really bother me. The drag is on the blade.

Trying to always get the maximum out of the minimum.

J.C.

Comment

i would not use it for cast iron.

the stroke is only 1/2'' and the shoe is a wire bend. i don't think it would make a good tool for cast iron.

it would make a great tool for in the wall cutting with it's short stroke on steel, copper, plastic and wood. just not cast iron as it's a difficult and slow process.

now the good news. if you want the cleanest cuts with no flying hot sparks, use a porta band saw. this is the best cutting heat free cutter if you have the room on old school cast iron, not no-hub

they will set you back $250-300, but the blades will last for dozens of cuts

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

First time giving a reply. Lots of great information here on this site.

I have one of the Fuego saws. It is a great in between size if a jig saw wont do it and a full size is to big. I would say I use mine every week. It is realy nice for tight spaces. Great for one handed work, or in cabinets, crawl spaces, for pvc, great for running DWV, notching, just all around quick short and fast cuts.

For long cuts floor joist, demo. This unit will get very hot and smell like it too. You would be better to use a regular full size sawsall.

I would not recomend this saw for cast. It will die.
          Hope this helps.

Comment

I just got one and plan to use it for plastic,copper,steel and cutting acess thru plywood and 2x4s. What about the propress snap cutter?

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
              i would not use it for cast iron.

the stroke is only 1/2'' and the shoe is a wire bend. i don't think it would make a good tool for cast iron.

it would make a great tool for in the wall cutting with it's short stroke on steel, copper, plastic and wood. just not cast iron as it's a difficult and slow process.

now the good news. if you want the cleanest cuts with no flying hot sparks, use a porta band saw. this is the best cutting heat free cutter if you have the room on old school cast iron, not no-hub

they will set you back $250-300, but the blades will last for dozens of cuts

rick.
              Room full of cast iron,demo?
              $5.00 sledgehammer(garage sale)

Now if I was repiping a sub terranian garage under a bathroom battery with eighty or so drops.I'd have me a portable band saw.That is of course if it was too soft to snap,it does go pretty quick if you are familiar with the tool.No expensive blades either.

Comment

Working...
              X