Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Shark Bites or compression fittings??

Originally posted by geno gardner View Post
    In an earthquake what would you rather have holding your water heater in place some braided supplies or solid copper?
    the answer is the braided supply line over the solid copper.

keep in mind a 50 gallon water heater will have 415# of water plus the heater.

that's a whole lot of weight to expect some 3/4'' copper to hold in place.

the object is to restrain the heater with a double approved seismic strap and allow the flex lines to absorb the movement.

now for me, i used to use the stainless braided water flex hoses. but after a few years of hot exposure, they started to leak at the crimp. so now it's back to the copper flexes and the newer stainless corrugated flexes. similar to csst material.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Doesn't propress use an O rings to make the water tight seal....like sharkbites?

Comment

Rick was going to pull the seal out of a fitting and press it to see if it would hold when he had time. But I think that was about a week before his little girl showed up.

When he gets time I'd love to see the results of that.
        No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Dahl at Home Depot Canada

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
          they make the 1/4 turn ball valves up to 1''. not sure if they will make angle stops or not. there are plenty of companies that make push on/ sharkbite style angle stops already. do you stock brass craft angle stops in toronto?

rick.
          Home Depot stocks a wide variety of Dahl stops in Canada, including several "sharkbite" models. There are straight & angle stops in that mix.

Brass Craft is also generally available in Toronto.

Dahlman

Comment

Re: Dahl at Home Depot Canada

I keep a few SB valves in my truck. Never had one go bad yet. Only use them when I need to though they are pricey

Comment

I like Swagelok fittings for 1/8 to 1/2 tubing, they have a 2 piece ferrule and are very high pressure rated.

Comment

Originally posted by TozziWelding View Post
                I like Swagelok fittings for 1/8 to 1/2 tubing, they have a 2 piece ferrule and are very high pressure rated.
                Used Swagelok fittings in research labs. Wish I would have latched on to my Swagelok reamer and a gal. of Snoop. before I left my old job.

Comment

Originally posted by TozziWelding View Post
                  Yes yes they are. And they are vibration resistant...more so than a flare joint. The higher the pressure the more the back ferrule bites into the pipe. Check out DKLOK fittings.....they are cheaper and are just as good or better. When the nuts screw down its like a fine piece of machinery turning...silky smooth and perfectly machined. Nothing like the garbage they sell at plumbing supply houses.

Comment

Honestly all my test rigs have been outfitted with Sharkbites and they all work good day in day out and I am not always good about chamfering the pipe. not a single failure and the rigs regularly see 200 PSI when testing industrial/commercial forcemains and water mains. Actually saw gas company using them yesterday to pressure test services. I hate to admit it but yeah they work well. Will I install them permanatly for a customer Hell no.

Comment

I will admit I did buy an assortment of shark bite fittings and have them on the van. I have used one, it leaked. I have them only for an emergency when it's 50 below zero in a crawl space or something like that. I don't use them for regular work.
                      Regarding ProPRess, there is no comparison. ProPress uses up to 6K pounds of force to apply the fittings. Shark Bites push on, big difference.

Comment

I solder.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by ironranger View Post
                          I will admit I did buy an assortment of shark bite fittings and have them on the van. I have used one, it leaked. I have them only for an emergency when it's 50 below zero in a crawl space or something like that. I don't use them for regular work.
                          Regarding ProPRess, there is no comparison. ProPress uses up to 6K pounds of force to apply the fittings. Shark Bites push on, big difference.
                          Does a fitting need to blow off to leak? Sure the propress will not blow off but will it leak when the O ring rots? thats the question. Sharkbites will twist and turn.....i think thats the difference and will be the sharkbite downfall.....propres does not move once crimped...huge advantage.

Comment

Originally posted by TheMaster View Post
                            Does a fitting need to blow off to leak? Sure the propress will not blow off but will it leak when the O ring rots? thats the question. Sharkbites will twist and turn.....i think thats the difference and will be the sharkbite downfall.....propres does not move once crimped...huge advantage.
                            the o-ring on a propress is an o-ring to start off with. but once it's crimped, it no longer is a true o-ring. it's been pressed and squeezed down to crush it onto the pipe and fitting.

how many millions of victaulic joints are out there in both the fire sprinkler, hydraulics, plumbing, mechanical market. the vic pipe connection takes a tremendous amount of precision to properly groove them. i use them in copper to 6'' and have never had a leak.

if a vic fitting holds for a century, i'm sure a propress will too. remember that the o-ring is barely exposed to water once crimped. yet a vic connection is always exposed to the fluid of choice and is more like a tire on a rim.

rick.
                            phoebe it is

Comment

I'm old school......
                              I think sodder is the way to go. But, depending on the budget of the customer I would give them a choice of which application they would prefer. If their concerned about price then shark bite is alot quicker which will save you time and the customer money.

Comment

I am even older school I prefer threading galvanized pipe.
                                Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                                A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                                Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                                Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Working...
                                X