Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Shark Bites or compression fittings??

I hollow out logs.

J.C.

Comment

What... You clown's cant wipe a lead joint?

Comment

see many other posts on many other threads from irritated old school plumber regarding the use of either

More nails in your coffin's
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
          the o-ring on a propress is an o-ring to start off with. but once it's crimped, it no longer is a true o-ring. it's been pressed and squeezed down to crush it onto the pipe and fitting.

how many millions of victaulic joints are out there in both the fire sprinkler, hydraulics, plumbing, mechanical market. the vic pipe connection takes a tremendous amount of precision to properly groove them. i use them in copper to 6'' and have never had a leak.

if a vic fitting holds for a century, i'm sure a propress will too. remember that the o-ring is barely exposed to water once crimped. yet a vic connection is always exposed to the fluid of choice and is more like a tire on a rim.

rick.
          Out of all the information I have read on propress not one time did they ever claim it's not an O ring after the press was made.

I'm satisfied with my original post.

As far as victaulic.......I didn't know that was being discussed.

Comment

seeing you don't own the tool, and you don't have a cutaway sample of a finished joint, i'll give you credit that an o-ring was installed and an o-ring is still in the joint, but it is not acting as an o-ring. while a shark bite and john guess fitting use an o-ring and remain an o-ring since there is no force on the ring other than the tension of the seal. the propress gets squeezed under 5400# -7200# of jaw ram pressure depending on size and machine, the o-ring takes on a flattened surface.

there is actually a little nick cut into the copper fitting at the o-ring grove(smart connect) this allows an unpressed joint to leak. once pressed, the copper and o-ring squeeze together forming the seal. the copper is crimped to prevent movement, and the o-ring is the seal. the joint can be safely rotated 5 degrees without re-crimping and even more if it's re-crimped.

the discussion was geared towards the life of a rubber seal. that's the reason why i brought up victaulic. the victaulic rubber seal is exposed to many different liquids and as far as i know, there is no time frame to have to replace the rubber seal/ joint due to leaking.

so although it might appear that a propress fitting is just a crimped o-ring, it's truly a lot more than a slipped in o-ring like shark bites and john guess fittings.

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

Lets talk about cost.

We can all agree that soldered copper joints will last, purchase a 3/4" and 1/2" jet-sweat, a can of flux, some solder and some gas of choice for your torch.

I bet this will end up being CHEAPER than any of the new-school alternatives, and we can all trust a well-done solder joint.

I trust shark-bites, but they're expensive. If I were a maintenance guy, I'd have some end caps, Ts, valves, couplers etc. for those 3am emergencies.

I trust compression fittings, but thread ball valves are cheaper. Almost all of us have a hand full of compression stops under counters and beside toilets.

I trust Pro-Press joints too (I've seen 1000s of Victaulic couplings in service, from fire-sprinklers to 24" hot water lines)... But no handyman maintenance guy needs to shell out that kind of cash for such a specialized tool. They are for plumbers whose work will pay for the tool.

Comment

I have no beef with propress. I could care less. I dont want to own the tool. I've seen the cut-aways,they have been on our local fergys for a few years now. Nothing new. Ok now enough about me.

Propress was devolped because the copper piping industry was getting beat down by pex. Everythings being dumbed down.....thats a fact.

Bottom line is that propress is faster but its not the best method of installling copper.

Can the ridge thats produced inside the pipe after the crimp is made have an adverse effect on flow characteristics? I think it can.

Comment

TheMaster you should start a thread of your own, this thread isn't really about pro-press.

Comment

Originally posted by dlarrivee View Post
                    TheMaster you should start a thread of your own, this thread isn't really about pro-press.
                    OH sorry....Could you tell me what the "press" stands for in ProPress? I thought it was short for........COM-PRESS-ION. But yeah I will drop it.

Comment

Originally posted by TheMaster View Post
                      I have no beef with propress. I could care less. I dont want to own the tool. I've seen the cut-aways,they have been on our local fergys for a few years now. Nothing new. Ok now enough about me.

Propress was devolped because the copper piping industry was getting beat down by pex. Everythings being dumbed down.....thats a fact.

Bottom line is that propress is faster but its not the best method of installling copper.

Can the ridge thats produced inside the pipe after the crimp is made have an adverse effect on flow characteristics? I think it can.
                      never ever heard that angle. propress was developed by viega in germany in 1989. and was brought out to the usa in 1995. in 1999 ridgid and viega signed a 7 year contract to market the propress line. in 2000 the pex/ press line of fittings were developed. i rather doubt pex has anything to do with the copper industry trying to compete with pex. we all know that pex is dirt cheap to buy and install with a minimum outlay in tools.

as far as the ridge, it's only real noticeable in the 1.5'' and 2'' sizes. but with the long sweep fittings and type k+ fittings, wear is minimal. i've date coded every fitting installation i've done in the last 6 years. i have yet to come back to 1 fitting failure including 24/7 hot water return lines.

it's only a matter of time before soldering will take a back seat to propress. everyone of my supply house now stocks propress on their shelves for immediate pick up.

i'm waiting for the day that insurance companies start giving discounts for contractors that use propress. no flame, no claim

now enough about propress we're upsetting the true forum members who care about thread drift

rick.
                      phoebe it is

Comment

Rick correct me if I am wrong. Didn't the first press fittings did not have an o-ring. Or maybe I am thinking of one of the pressing reps showing us a ProPress fitting that had no o-iring that got pressed and no leaks, the o-ring was added to help meet some plumbing codes.

As for cost of ProPress fittings I just bought some along with solder fittings, the price difference was any where from 40ยข to a buck more per fitting. The time it saves me with not having to drain down a whole system is well worth the slight extra cost. The solder fittings do not take in account the cost of flux, solder, and gas per fitting, so in my opinion the ProPress fittings are a savings.
                        Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                        A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                        Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                        Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

I've seen regular copper fitting slipped on the pipe that didn't leak for 6 months...no solder. FACT.

Back to the original topic assuming the O.P. was speaking of the traditional single ferrule and nut compression fittings vs the sharkbite.

If the joint was subject to harsh water I would say the compression joint with a ferrule would be better than the sharkbite.

If the joint is subject to getting bumped or if its cpvc pipe for example I would use a sharkbite over compression.

Comment

ron, the fittings all had o-rings. i was going to set up a mock fitting with valve and pressure gauge. 1 side o[ring and the other side no o-ring. i doubt that the joint would hold.although the fitting is tight after crimping, i doubt that it is pressure tight.

i do know that people have removed the o-ring and used it as a solder fitting, but the tolerance is too loose for the proper capillary action. although i know i could make a satisfactory joint if properly cleaned of the silicone oil lube.

i'm glad you and i are on the same page with propress all i have to do now is get you to agree with the k-60

rick.
                            phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                              ron, the fittings all had o-rings. i was going to set up a mock fitting with valve and pressure gauge. 1 side o[ring and the other side no o-ring. i doubt that the joint would hold.although the fitting is tight after crimping, i doubt that it is pressure tight.

i do know that people have removed the o-ring and used it as a solder fitting, but the tolerance is too loose for the proper capillary action. although i know i could make a satisfactory joint if properly cleaned of the silicone oil lube.

i'm glad you and i are on the same page with propress all i have to do now is get you to agree with the k-60

rick.
                              I agree the K-60 makes a good paper weight.

I do not think having the oring missing now with the little nick cut into the fitting at the o-ring groove. What I am thinking about was when ProPress first came about, they where saying how its a mechancal joint being crushed with 5000# to 7000# of force. With out the nick it would of been a solid tight fit.
                              Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                              A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                              Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                              Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Amazing the milliions of repairs that we're made before a Sharkbite that now can't seem to be done without them.

J.C.

Comment

Working...
                                X