No announcement yet.

Shark Bites or compression fittings??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Shark Bites or compression fittings??

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
    Amazing the milliions of repairs that we're made before a Sharkbite that now can't seem to be done without them.

J.C.
    Its not that I can not make a joint before shark bites or ProPress. Before shark bites and ProPress I used compression unions to make repairs in areas I could not get the water to stop flowing enough to solder a final joint and time was the essence. I would later return when the building would allow me the time to shut down the whole system drain it down so I can replace the compression joint. I have done the same with shark bites, I used them in a pinch, then returned at a later date and removed it to install a proper joint. Now with ProPress I do not feel the need to come back and remove the fitting since it is 1000 times better than shark bites and compression fittings.
    Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
    Ron's Facebook
    A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
    Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
    Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

jc, you could say the same thing about no hub.

what percentage of waste and vent is still installed with lead and oakum?

i would say less than 1% in the usa. finding a caulked on closet ring was a challenge last week. and i'm not talking a small supply chain.
      1 supply house was hd supply and the the other has 13 branches in so cal. 4x2 was not an issue. it was the 4x4 that was.

pex and cpvc are relatively new out here. i see cpvc at the diy centers but not the supply house. pex is at the supply house as they were using it for hydronics longer than domestic.

i doubt anyone is going to plumb a house with sharkbite. but they will and do with pex and cpvc. sharkbite is the 1 fitting that will transition between all the different brands of pex. not to mention transition between cpvc and copper with no down time.

i'm probably sitting on 50+ sharkbite fittings and have probably installed less than 12. all without failure. and everyone of them traceable back to me. not to mention i can look up everyone i've installed through my invoicing database.

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post

i would say less than 1% in the usa. finding a caulked on closet ring was a challenge last week. and i'm not talking a small supply chain.
        1 supply house was hd supply and the the other has 13 branches in so cal. 4x2 was not an issue. it was the 4x4 that was.

pex and cpvc are relatively new out here. i see cpvc at the diy centers but not the supply house. pex is at the supply house as they were using it for hydronics longer than domestic.

i doubt anyone is going to plumb a house with sharkbite. but they will and do with pex and cpvc. sharkbite is the 1 fitting that will transition between all the different brands of pex. not to mention transition between cpvc and copper with no down time.

i'm probably sitting on 50+ sharkbite fittings and have probably installed less than 12. all without failure. and everyone of them traceable back to me. not to mention i can look up everyone i've installed through my invoicing database.

rick.
        Rick, if you find a SharkBite type fitting is the best possible repair to a live system then use it.

If, as a licensed professional, you know it to not be the best then installing them is just cutting corners or laziness.

Whether it's done by me, you, or anyone else.

I think Ron has best defined their only purpose in the professionals life.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post

rick.
          I find that supply house doesn't cater to the repair plumber here. if the new construction guys aren't using it then you simply will not find it,especially since the economy slowed.....they dont stock what they dont readily move. Cant blame um. I couldn't find anyone that stocked sch 80 pvc lastweek.

I also use sharkbites for cpvc transitions....no down time. Plus cpvc is IMO pure junk but doing a repair theres not much choice but to work with it.

Comment

Rick, you and I will be long in our graves before pro press takes over soldering. Untill the cost of the tool comes down to under 500 bucks and the fittings come to the point where they are no longer 4 to 6 times the cost of a swett fitting, it just aint happening.

Now don't you have a diaper to change? My god man, I can smell that from my house
            Last edited by NHMaster3015; 09-20-2010, 05:11 AM.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
              Rick, you and I will be long in our graves before pro press takes over soldering. Untill the cost of the tool comes down to under 500 bucks and the fittings come to the point where they are no longer 4 to 6 times the cost of a swett fitting, it just aint happening.

Now don't you have a diaper to change? My god man, I can smell that from my house
              please post a spread sheet of your fitting cost.

i find it hard to believe you're 4-6 times the cost of a solder fitting.

maybe i should be your purchasing agent as i'm sure i can save you some money. i'm also sure that i could not only compete with your soldering jobs, but come in less money, be done sooner and not inconvenience the owners of the property. remember that time is money not only for me, but for everyone that's affected.

now if on you're interested in copper fittings from 1/2'' - 6'' i have plenty to sell you at a better price than any supply house you buy from.

got to go, phoebe needs her diaper changed.

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

ProPress has already taken over for my shop and a few others in this area. Soldering is a thing of the past for me. My solder box is very lonely, I think I still have the same half a roll of solder sitting in there from over a year ago.

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post

I think I have to disagree. All industries are geared toward easier and lazier. And as something becomes more widespread, it usually decreases in price. Not sure if that will happen with ProPress though. The Germans and Ridgid have a tendency to try & control any innovation and keep the price high.

Big commercial, no training, any Mexicali or teenager on minimum wage can be put to work in minutes knowing NOTHING=No brainer. And I don't buy all the talk about the awesomeness required for the professional layout.

Some situation where you don't have a Jet-Swet or water can't be drained down off a larger commercial setting, also usable.

Sorry though, don't see this "huge savings" over soldering for the less than 5 man shop. House installation, you're not going to beat me on the bid and I won't take some huge loss on the bottom line compared to someone pressing. Residential repair-never, ever, needed one. And I own one. (Rothenberger-Not Ridgids.) Water chemistry eating on the copper and you have a leak repair to make.....a press tool is useless.

Couple of commercial jobs it could have been handy.

Most I hear choosing it are choosing easier & lazier while choosing instead to call it new and improved.

And ALL industries do this. All of them. So I do think you will begin to see less soldering. Just like everything else, noone will care until it AFFECTS THEM. If the phone rings they will never care of the future at all.

The days coming though when carpenters, handymen, homeowners, electricians, doctors, ILLEGALS, & whoever else will go to a United Rental and pay $50.00 to go and do plumbing jobs here, there, then everywhere. Already happening.

Noone will care though, until it starts to affect THEIR business. Those that love it just don't complain one bit when you see it start to happen.

J.C.

Comment

I doubt pro press fittings will come down that much. They are machine intensive to produce and use a lot more copper in the process.
                    sigpic

Comment

Soldering dominates my area, and I don't see that changing anytime soon. However..there are some companies in my area using Pro-press, but I have yet to come across it in residential.

I'm 38, and I doubt I'll see the end of soldering in my area.

Comment

I already posted that the fittings for 3/4 and 1" ProPress are only 40 ยข to a buck more per fitting at my local supply which is a Ferguson.
                        Ron's Facebook

Comment

I have used pro press and believe that it does have a time and place. With that being said I do 99% sweat. There are some jobs that are pex but that still requires some soldering.

Comment

I disagree, since switching to Propress I feel my shop is working smarter and faster, not easier and lazier as you suggest. ProPress is very professional and customers love it. I won't even argue that my way is better than your way, we soldered pipe for the last 22 years so I know and don't miss it and will never go back. To each their own I say, whatever works for your shop.
                            By the way I won the P&M Magazine Ridgid Tool Tip for September.
                            It was a ProPress tip!

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                            I think I have to disagree. All industries are geared toward easier and lazier. And as something becomes more widespread, it usually decreases in price. Not sure if that will happen with ProPress though. The Germans and Ridgid have a tendency to try & control any innovation and keep the price high.

Big commercial, no training, any Mexicali or teenager on minimum wage can be put to work in minutes knowing NOTHING=No brainer. And I don't buy all the talk about the awesomeness required for the professional layout.

Some situation where you don't have a Jet-Swet or water can't be drained down off a larger commercial setting, also usable.

Sorry though, don't see this "huge savings" over soldering for the less than 5 man shop. House installation, you're not going to beat me on the bid and I won't take some huge loss on the bottom line compared to someone pressing. Residential repair-never, ever, needed one. And I own one. (Rothenberger-Not Ridgids.) Water chemistry eating on the copper and you have a leak repair to make.....a press tool is useless.

Couple of commercial jobs it could have been handy.

Most I hear choosing it are choosing easier & lazier while choosing instead to call it new and improved.

And ALL industries do this. All of them. So I do think you will begin to see less soldering. Just like everything else, noone will care until it AFFECTS THEM. If the phone rings they will never care of the future at all.

The days coming though when carpenters, handymen, homeowners, electricians, doctors, ILLEGALS, & whoever else will go to a United Rental and pay $50.00 to go and do plumbing jobs here, there, then everywhere. Already happening.

Noone will care though, until it starts to affect THEIR business. Those that love it just don't complain one bit when you see it start to happen.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by ironranger View Post
                              I disagree, since switching to Propress I feel my shop is working smarter and faster, not easier and lazier as you suggest. ProPress is very professional and customers love it. I won't even argue that my way is better than your way, we soldered pipe for the last 22 years so I know and don't miss it and will never go back. To each their own I say, whatever works for your shop.
                              It was a ProPress tip!
                              What was the ProPress tip?
                              Ron's Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by ironranger View Post
                                It was a ProPress tip!
                                What!!!!! no link?!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X