X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shark Bites or compression fittings??

After reading all the negative posts on Shark Bites, I'm a little hesitant to use them on plumbing repairs. I have a few on hand for emergency repairs, but haven't had the need to use them. I use solder when possible.

I have approximately 40 water heaters that need the gate valves replaced. Some I can sweat on a new ball valve others I was going to use a 3/4" Shark Bite X 3/4MPT adapter or a 3/4" compression ball valve. After reading all the negative posts on the Shark Bites I'm leaning towards using compression ball valves.

What do the real plumbers here recommend for us Hacks.

James

Re: Shark Bites or compression fittings??

they make sharkbite ball valves too

personally, i use propress now

problem with a ball valve is that years down the road when you need to shut it, there is a good chance you will be moving or rotating the valve and the sharkbite might leak.

remember that compression is used on just about every copper stub out and angle stop shut off we install.

between the 2, compression is the best.

still better is a mip x c adapter. either solder or propress.

p.s. i've used a couple dozen sharkbites and have never had a failure. these are now a few years old and still going strong.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Rick,

Thanks for the reply.

What I have done so far on the valves that I've replaced, is cut out the old gate valve, sweat on a 3/4" male adapter and use a threaded ball valve. Those were the easy ones.

If only I had a pipe freezer or 12 loafs of white bread.

James

Comment

You need the Pro Press for that job, really! If you don't want to buy one then most Fergusons and some other suppliers do rent them by the day. Once you try one you will never go back! LOL

Comment

solder ball valves with a jet sweat. forget about propress, sharkbites or any of that.
          Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Yah, Sharkbite make ball valves....I was shocked to see the price of a Sharkbite 1" ball valve at Home Depot in Toronto....$41 !!!!! A sweat on 1" ball valve is only 10 bucks (canadian $s).

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
              solder ball valves with a jet sweat. forget about propress, sharkbites or any of that.

What's a Jet Sweat?

Comment

This.

http://www.brenelle.com/

J.C.

Comment

Sharkbite and compression for temporary repair only to be properly replaced with sweat fittings if working with copper.

That jet-sweat looks really handy, I gotta find one for myself!!

Comment

Originally posted by shock1964 View Post
                    Sharkbite and compression for temporary repair only to be properly replaced with sweat fittings if working with copper.

That jet-sweat looks really handy, I gotta find one for myself!!
                    I've also seen guys make their own with some gaskets, allthread, nuts and washers.

J.C.

Comment

[I have been selling shark bite fittings now for quite a while, however, I am still waiting for the 1/4 turn small shut-off valve for sharkbite 1/2 fittings. Any news on that?

Thanks

TLP

Comment

they make the 1/4 turn ball valves up to 1''. not sure if they will make angle stops or not. there are plenty of companies that make push on/ sharkbite style angle stops already. do you stock brass craft angle stops in toronto?

rick.
                        phoebe it is

Comment

Hack it up gooood.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by James P View Post
                            After reading all the negative posts on Shark Bites, I'm a little hesitant to use them on plumbing repairs. I have a few on hand for emergency repairs, but haven't had the need to use them. I use solder when possible.

I have approximately 40 water heaters that need the gate valves replaced. Some I can sweat on a new ball valve others I was going to use a 3/4" Shark Bite X 3/4MPT adapter or a 3/4" compression ball valve. After reading all the negative posts on the Shark Bites I'm leaning towards using compression ball valves.

What do the real plumbers here recommend for us Hacks.

James
                            I have fought the Sharkbites too but have been giving in a few times. I have reused a few 3/4" test connections with sharkbite MIPs at least 75 times and they still hold 100psi after 3 years of pulling them off and on. I don't think they are as bad as we want them to be. In an area like what you have our supply house carries braided water heater supplies with sharbite valve for cold and w/out valve for hot. Same price as copper flexs. It could make you a buch of money with the time savings. I have to say I hate them because there is no craftsmanship. That doesn't mean they don't work good from my experiences and are perfect for your application.

Comment

Originally posted by Birddoggiest View Post
                              our supply house carries braided water heater supplies with sharbite valve for cold and w/out valve for hot. Same price as copper flexs.
                              In an earthquake what would you rather have holding your water heater in place some braided supplies or solid copper?
                              Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

Working...
                              X