Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bradford White ICON teardown (temp sensor replacement)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bradford White ICON teardown (temp sensor replacement)

I have installed two of the new Bradford White Water Heaters with the new ICON valves. #2 had a five blink fault right out of the box (water temp sensor fault) so I thought I would document the teardown

#1 Bradford White ICON valve assembly

#2 #15 Torx or flat tip for cover screw removal

#3 Cover removal (remove torx screw and depress 2x clips on top with a flat tip screwdriver) The small three wire connection that you see is the temp sensor wire.

#4 Sensor wires plug into circuit board via a small connector that pulls out. You can only put the plug in one way so don't worry about it.

To be continued...
    Last edited by OkieBill; 12-29-2009, 02:48 PM.

Re: Bradford White ICON teardown (temp sensor replacement)

#5 Valve body has a torx screw that needs to be removed. There are also 2 clips at the bottom of the valve body that hold it in place, these can be released with a small flat tip screwdriver then pull the valve out at the bottom and slide it down to release it from the top mounts.

#6 The valve body is removed. The valve body has 3 roll pins that stick out towards the front and will need to be protected. If they bend you will have a hard time getting the cover (with the circuit board) to remount.

#7 The temp sensor being removed. The sensor is mounted to the white plastic carrier that slides into the well. Sensor orientation is important (make sure it points to 2 o'clock when you put it back)

Lessons learned:

- Be VERY careful when you go to mount the cover back over the valve body. Be gentle and make sure the roll pins from the valve body are lined up properly. If you force it the pins will break the circuit board.

-I had a very stubborn leak on the burner supply line at the valve body after reassembly that took me six trys to get sealed. This connection does not want to line up properly so watch it

Total time to do this job is about 15 minutes once you know how to get everything apart.

Bill

Comment

Thanks. I'm sure this will prove helpful in the near future.

Comment

I really appreciate you taking the time and effort to share this information. Thank you very much.
        Anyone can tear a man down, few can build one up.

Comment

Thank-You Bill.
          I know for sure I'm going to be up against one.Having the upfront info will give heaps of help.

Comment

does b.w. expect you to replace the sensor, or the entre gas valve? seems like with a warranty issue they would send you a complete gas valve.

was this a warranty issue or a out of pocket issue?

i'm not a b.w. fan either.

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
              I'm not a b.w. fan either.
              What is wrong with them.
              I thought they were the best we had.

Now what's wrong

Thanks

Comment

does b.w. expect you to replace the sensor, or the entre gas valve? seems like with a warranty issue they would send you a complete gas valve.

rick.
                What current W/H are you a fan of?

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                  What current W/H are you a fan of?

J.C.
                  Noritz!!!

Comment

years ago american appliance was only miles from the house. santa monica, even had a private open house there.

then the fvir fiasco with the thermocouple came around.

then my recent issue with rheem.

i did do a lot of ao smiths over the years.

hard choice.

american appliance still seems to be a favorite as i have the most history with them.

rick.
                    phoebe it is

Comment

I have had good service & no callbacks with Rheem. We are only FVIR here and not LoNox yet. I have a feeling they are going to get the TRD replaceable in the near future. NO WAY are they gonna' get away with forcing people to throw away otherwise good tanks/heaters on a large scale.

While A.O. Smith & State have been good in the past here, over the past few years I've seen many troubleshooting problems with their gas line that pop up prematurely in my opinion.

ECO failure & mysterious behavior on PowerVents related to some Honeywell controllers.

There is no Bradford White representation here. I want to like that gas control but don't. (Honeywell again) My small experience with the electronic controls is early failure that always seems to end with, "We recommend replacing the control" which no one ever has of course. At least here.

And I'm sure they will overnight it sometimes but I like getting it going right now. Happy customer and happy me.

While you're Rheem TRD scenario sucked, they have been reliable here.

J.C.

Comment

rick.
                        My supply house had not even started stocking parts yet We ended up opening another WH and pulling the part to get the customer going. I'm not sure who is going to pay the labor but I will talk to BW about it

The kit that was sent later was a complete retrofit kit (valve, sensor, pilot assembly).

I'm going to stick with BW simply because my only other choice is a US Crapmaster made by American WH (crap crap crapity crap)

Comment

Any idea what was wrong with the sensor?
                          I installed one of these heaters today and didn't realize it had the new ICON valve until I opened the box. I was holding my breath after reading your post but everything worked fine.
                          I don't like that it has a circuit board. No doubt it is more accurate and sensitive but, therein also lies the problem.
                          Bradford White should have shipped replacement parts to all of the suppliers BEFORE shipping out the new heaters, imho.
                          "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

Comment

I have installed 6 of these units with the Icon system, no issues here yet.

I like the new system, easy to service if needed, and liting the heater you just need to wait for the led to blink, no more laying on the floor to see the pilot through the peep hole.
                            Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                            Ron's Facebook
                            A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                            Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                            Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
                              I have installed 6 of these units with the Icon system, no issues here yet.

I like the new system, easy to service if needed, and liting the heater you just need to wait for the led to blink, no more laying on the floor to see the pilot through the peep hole.
                              No need to even wait to see the green blink since you will hear the microcontact on the board "click" when the thermopile is producing enough voltage

Comment

Working...
                              X