Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to check electrical water heater thermostat?

A local plumber installed two weeks ago a GSW electric water heater about 50 gal. 240V.

Since installed the water tank, customer have not gotten any hot water.
    The plumber said wiring problem and electrican said plumbing prombem.

When I get there, I checked power which produce around 210V, and two elements are ok( I checked continuity and ohm). Waited over one hour but still no hot water.

It seems thermostat is defective.

How do you check hot water tank thernostat?

Re: How to check electrical water heater thermostat?

I had one recently where all components were tested good and power was present but h2o did not heat. Turned out the 120 volt neutral between the hwt and the electrical panel had a poor connection. Electrician traced it out and all is well now.

Comment

Where did you check for 220v? At the upper thermostat or at the receptacle. It very well could be the appliance cord. The installer probably didn't make a good connection under the cover.
      "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

Comment

And, of course, if the installer dry fired it then you can count on replacing the upper element and that would solve things.
        Checking continuity of the element is not a sure way of determining its status. It could be faulty and still show "beep" if you are using the audible setting on your meter. The best way is to unplug the heater, disconnect one of the leads to the element, plug the heater back in and check for voltage from each screw on the element to ground (the tank). It should be 120 to each if the element is good. Be careful! That loose lead is HOT!
        Last edited by SlimTim; 12-30-2009, 11:41 PM.
        "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
        X