No announcement yet.

? for you CI gurus

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ? for you CI gurus

Hey guys

My experience has been primarily spot repair in regards to CI pipe, but now am involved in a commercial install/remodel spec'd in CI pipe. My questions are these: 1) Is there a better faster way to cut CI pipe other than a snap cutter or abrasive chop saw? 2) Is there a good process for dis-assembling gasketed joint fittings in order to re-use a fitting that is already in place?

Re: ? for you CI gurus

Cut with a Diamond blade (grinder) is the fastest cut. but not always suitable (noise, space ect..).

Gasketed fitting? If you mean a poured lead joint the only way to save a poured hub is the slow way, chip it all out or just cut the hub off and use a banded mechanical coupling (Mission, Husky ect...)

if you're cutting with diamond or abrasive, you need to keep in mind that all the cast iron fines are going to rust literally in seconds once exposed to moisture.

be very careful where you cut as the rust it can leave behind is a no no on a finished concrete floor, tile ect.

i properly trained plumber can out cut with a snap cutter over a chop saw.

of course with the propress and cast iron cutter, it's possibly even faster.

the times i used a chop saw, was fabbing for a deck pour, risers at the shop. never in the field.

phoebe it is

We've been cutting with an abrasive cut-off saw, but the wheels get wore down pretty quickly.....and dust everywhere. Its been suggested that a cold saw (carbide toothed or diamond blade) works well, but I thought I'd see if anyone else has tried it. I see there are CI blades available for hinged cutters, would they be faster than a chain cutter? We've been toying about trying the roll cutter, but I see it isn't recommended by Rigid for cutting CI pipe. Maybe cast is just a slower process and I just need to get used to

The joints I was asking about were the ones with the rubber gaskets (No-Hub Donuts). Is there a way to get them apart? I have fittings on top of fittings on top of fittings and I need to eliminate some of the fittings and save some (ones partially buried in walls).

I wound use a scissors sapper. a chop saw wound be to slow for cutting soil.
          Chop saws are good for Carrie's As for reusing fitting i wouldn't
          if you make a mistake. A chain vise & pipe winch work good
          or a lead hammer works for me.

get a propress and a snap cutter attachment if you are going to be doing a reasonable amount of cast work. as for reusing the cast fittings, thats not something i've ever had experience with, if it has to go back in as cast I usually just demo it all and repipe with cast and nohub.
            Originally posted by NHMaster3015
            No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

I've pulled the assembly out of the hub and it's no fun. It probably took me 20 minutes for a 2" hub. Cut the pipe close to the hub about an 1" leaving about an 1". Making sure the hub is supported real good before you do this. Crack the CI lengthwise with a cold chisel until you can pull out a chunk. The pipe is then relatively easy to fold in on itself and pull out. Then pulling out the lead and oakum is easy.
              Buy cheap, buy twice.

Scissor snap cutters go quick.Measure mark snap done.
                We only use a chop saw for fittings
                and a gas axe to cut the 8-10" pipe.
                Chop saw leaves a guy horking up black boogers all day!

Are the scissor type cutters that I'm hearing about similar to the Ridgid 276?

Are they actually faster than a racheting type cutter?