X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Extra fixtures on the truck?

Has keeping extra fixtures on the truck suck as faucets, toilets, garbage disposals been a help or hinderance for sales? Do you find customers are very pecular with what they want and are/aren't as likely to have you install something that you keep on the van? Or are more customers choosing their own fixtures and having you install them so your stock is just taking up space and money? What specific brands and models have you been stocking? I go with what quality stuff I can find at a discounted price.
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Re: Extra fixtures on the truck?

I would say it depends on your market and customer base.

Usually you can cover disposals pretty well with keeping 2 or 3 models on the truck. That's something that doesn't take up that much room, keeps you from riding/losing money, and gives the customer choice. Easier to move that.

Maybe-maybe a Delta 440 as many have the simpler/older one (400? can't remember) and can move them.

For me, that's about it. Just too many other fixtures, colors, choices for people that end up being dead inventory I could invest elsewhere.

I hate you for having to even think about this with all of your room.

J.C.

Comment

Space is limiting factor for most plumbers. How big is your truck and how much weight can you carry? Sticking to common fixtures works for me in lot of cases. Badger 5 disposal, moen and delta faucets in two hanlde and single handle variations, common repair kits for flush tanks, shower valves, faucets, etc. I don't carry around new toilets or water heaters, just buy as needed. Its more and more common that customers are buying their own materials thanks to HD and Lowes. I will install them, just don't guarantee what they furnish.

Comment

I got room, plenty of room. J.C., just in case you misread.....plenty of room.
        Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
          I got room, plenty of room. J.C., just in case you misread.....plenty of room.
          Suck it.

J.C.

Comment

I don't keep any fixtures on the truck but I do keep the fixture books on the truck along with the prices written by the ones the local supply houses stock. (Retail prices of course)

Most of the property managers just want elcheapo so I track the current best/ deal on the low end toilets, Kitchen sink faucets, Lav faucets.

I do keep repair parts well stocked
            -Most single, two and three handle fixtures
            -x4 complete toilet rebuilds
            -x4 frost free hose bib rebuilds

All that being said, I live in a small town with 2 supply houses, where I can run and get a fixture in 15 minutes

If I had longer trips or waits I would consider stocking low and middle quality fixtures. (Glacierbay ect.. to Delta in chrome finish only).

Bill

Comment

Originally posted by plumb4life View Post
              Space is limiting factor for most plumbers. How big is your truck and how much weight can you carry? Sticking to common fixtures works for me in lot of cases. Badger 5 disposal, moen and delta faucets in two hanlde and single handle variations, common repair kits for flush tanks, shower valves, faucets, etc. I don't carry around new toilets or water heaters, just buy as needed. Its more and more common that customers are buying their own materials thanks to HD and Lowes. I will install them, just don't guarantee what they furnish.
              Do plumbers actually use MOEN faucets?

I had a very bad experience with a Moen faucet in 1980 that I bought at Wal Mart.

Comment

Originally posted by James P View Post
                Do plumbers actually use MOEN faucets?

I had a very bad experience with a Moen faucet in 1980 that I bought at Wal Mart.
                I had a customer ask me to install a new Moen (pull out spray), never again I spent an hour on that leaker...lol

Comment

i keep a few basic kitchen faucets on the truck. no lav faucets.

1- ise pro333 disposal.

but when it comes to repair parts, i have everything to limit my trips to the supply house or my shop to under once a week.

if i know the customer wants a certain toilet, i buy it or they supply it.

in the shop. i have dozens of kitchen and lav faucets, a few water heaters and a few toilets.

but when it comes to supplies, parts, fittings, filters, i supply my hardware store and plumber friends

i've learned it doesn't all have to be on the truck. what you need is what you come across on a regular basis. i had stuff on my 2000 w-4500 that i put on when it was new. it's still on there

you can't carry everything, but you can carry what you service on a regular basis

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

Space is the big consideration; so I keep a small handful of fixtures onboard. Outside of that, the Wolverine Brass, HD supply,and other books let the customer decide. Like previously mentioned, many folks are buying at the box stores and requesting installation. Great thing is they picked it out, they made their decision. I (I'm sure most of you as well) make it very clear that I will stand behind the installation, but cannot warranty the product as I have not provided it. Some might frown and say that the plumber is angry that he didn't make his usual huge markup on the fixture. In all honesty, how much can you really mark up a $150 faucet? Not exactly a mortgage payment! The big reason is that I can't bring the defective product back to my plumbing supplier for new/credit. None of us is heading back to H*** deport with the customer's receipt in hand!!! Plus, as mentioned, if you've got a customer who really wants something particular(2 handle, 8 inch spread, colonial style, oil rubbed bronze finish) odds are you're not going to have it on your truck anyway! There's just too much out there. One or two chrome finish mid-grade fixtures for the landlord who wants it fixed NOW.

Comment

Originally posted by OkieBill View Post
                      I had a customer ask me to install a new Moen (pull out spray), never again I spent an hour on that leaker...lol
                      Bill,

At my last job, the plumber installed a Moen single handle kitchen faucet in a breakroom. I don't know if it was the plumber or the faucet. To get hot water you had to move the handle to the right.

James

Comment

Originally posted by James P View Post
                        Bill,

At my last job, the plumber installed a Moen single handle kitchen faucet in a breakroom. I don't know if it was the plumber or the faucet. To get hot water you had to move the handle to the right.

James
                        Rotate cartridge stem?

J.C.

Comment

if you got the room stock it!!!! from water htrs. , toilets, faucets, parts , ect., you will get more sales if its on the truck !

Comment

My clients range from the extremely wealthy to landlord tenants. I carry elongated and ada water closets in Toto Caruso and Drake, pullout spray, 2 handle, single lever faucets, 2handle and single lever lavatory faucets, disposals ½ hp.3/4 hp. 1 hp. I give each client an option to choose depending on their need and want. I find that I can do their shopping and present in a show and tell style for them to pick what best fits their desire.
                            It has been very helpful to have the items stocked in the truck

Comment

Rich, how do like the Toto toilets? I know of a forum where only a Toto is worth anything and everything else is garbage. I have nothing against them, I just don't run into many. Sounds like you've got a rolling whse of parts; that does make it easier to sell. If you can open a box and show the customer, you're also saving time, gas, etc.

Comment

Working...
                              X