Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How do we compete with this?

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
    Very true. Many women I've met love to shop at payless because you can buy 5 pairs of shoes for 20 bucks but they break after wearing a couple times. My thinking is to buy some high quality shoes last will last. Not the wif, she just sees the bottom line.
    My wife thinks it is normal for new shoes to give you blisters or cuts while they are broken in. I don't get it. The damn shoe should adapt to my foot, not my foot having to adapt to the shoe.

Comment

Originally posted by Ace Sewer View Post
      I don't know that you can even attempt to compete...

just charge for labor and smile and say wow good price on the faucet.

and be sure to charge for the extra trip over when you show up to put it in and it's a lav faucet instaed of a kitchen faucet, or it's a swanky single hole faucet w/o an adapter and they've got a three hole sink, or whatever.

It's gotten to the point that I preemptively just tell customers, before they tell me they'll be buying their own, what to get when they go to HD....briefly mentioning that I refuse to install Glacier Bay and that I do not warranty customer provided merchandise.

a surprising majority prefer that I provide fixtures despite my "advice".

I'm just happy to see what appears to be an easing off by HD in advertising their contractor services, they are notoriously bad in my area and most reasonable contractors cannot work for their rates so HD winds up hiring ex-cons and nut cases who are desperate enough to work for dirt.

It landed them in the local news a few times, one was a pedophile.

Comment

Originally posted by SlimTim View Post
        He happily wrote the check.
        He called me at dinner time to say his wife went ballistic when she heard what I charged because Home Depot said they would install it for $87.00!
        How PISSED were you!
        I would have made a stern polite call or reply to the hubby to pass on
        why plumbers are not laborers.

Comment

Originally posted by Jay Mpls View Post
          How PISSED were you!
          I would have made a stern polite call or reply to the hubby to pass on
          why plumbers are not laborers.
          Read what I mentioned above, in my area HD has a reputation with their contractor services.

They offer cheap prices to lure customers, then the contractor "discovers" add ons in order to make up for the dirt he's paid for the original job, or the job is done horribly.

It's been in the news numerous times here, HD is too damned greedy, they pay garbage and push hard to crush the small guy, which has completely backfired.

Comment

Originally posted by DuckButter View Post
            Read what I mentioned above, in my area HD has a reputation with their contractor services.

They offer cheap prices to lure customers, then the contractor "discovers" add ons in order to make up for the dirt he's paid for the original job, or the job is done horribly.

It's been in the news numerous times here, HD is too damned greedy, they pay garbage and push hard to crush the small guy, which has completely backfired.
            The sweetness of a job that was done right, long outlasts the sweetness of paying for a half *** job, {especially one by a HD hack}

Comment

Actually if you really pay attention to the home depot faucets they have a lot more plastic than the one from the supply house. Sure they may be the exact same model but the quality is totally different. I once bought a faucet from home depot for a customer and bought the same exact faucet from the supply house and the one from the supply house had more weight to it and was more sturdy. I've found that sharkbite fittings from the supply house seem a little different from hd ones as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Don the plumber View Post
                I have a customer of mine who takes me down the basement everytime I finish a job for him, gives me half or more of the actual bill, then tells me to make out the invoice for the remaining balance, so his wife doesn't get upset over the price. This couple is only in their 50's.
                I told him to put in his will, for her not to call me, if he dies first.
                Just remember ITS EASYER TO ASK FOR FORGIVENESS THEN FOR PERMISION
                SMELLS LIKE $$$$$$ TO ME

Comment

I have an inventory sheet for consumable items that tracks and compares prices of things that I use regularly.

This allows me to track the things that are cheaper at HD or the Blue Box, or another supplier (there are several wholesalers here).

I don't always buy the item there that are cheaper, because of various reasons.

As much as it sucks, sometimes, it does end up making sense to go there.

For example, I paid $23.00 for a fitting the other day at Fergy, that is $7.29 at the home center. Same manufacturer, identical fitting.

That's worth knowing the difference, and using them SOMETIMES.

Comment

Because of the lead ban in California in January, December of last year all the brass faucets were sold 50% off to clear the shelves before they couln't sell them anymore. I bought up all I could at the time and enjoyed a good markup at installation time.

Comment

Originally posted by OkieBill View Post
                      That is of course a yellow clearance tag, and you are taking a risk installing that, because the odds of all the pieces being still in the are low.

Comment

Working...
                      X