X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do we compete with this?

Customer called for a quote on a Delta pull out spray kitchen faucet.
    I called the supply house to make sure I was giving a good price, Customer tells me she will call back, I get the call the following week asking if I would put in the faucet she purchased at Home Depot.

I installed the faucet ( the exact same faucet I quoted her) and looked at the price she paid

She purchased the fixture for a full $60 less then I could get it from my supply house for, What does it matter if the quality of the box store faucet is a bit lower, it has a lifetime guarantee just the same

Re: How do we compete with this?

I don't know that you can even attempt to compete...

just charge for labor and smile and say wow good price on the faucet.

and be sure to charge for the extra trip over when you show up to put it in and it's a lav faucet instaed of a kitchen faucet, or it's a swanky single hole faucet w/o an adapter and they've got a three hole sink, or whatever.
    This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

bill, that faucet was a h.d. close out. your price was actually $6.00 less

look at the bright side. if all i did was installs and drain cleaning. i wouldn't need the 1 ton van

honestly, i wish all i supplied was labor and no parts. would make for a simple inventory.

nice k-60 in your photo

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

It's on sale, can't do anything about it. If it was the everyday price, I would worry.
        Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
          It's on sale, can't do anything about it. If it was the everyday price, I would worry.

I was thinking about your thread on stocking parts when I made this thread... I'm sure you could work the taxes to your advantage if you stock parts on the truck (depreciation and write-offs)

Rick, do you depreciate your benchstock?

Comment

We don't mind if the homeowner supplys their own faucet. They get no warranty on the faucet from us other than a connection leak. Plus the fact they dont come with faucet nuts gives you a chance to make a little extra on a set of nuts along with new stops, supplys.
            ________
            Honda Wiki
            Last edited by TOPDAWG; 02-24-2011, 06:27 PM.
            Mike

Comment

The big stores do that. Once a new model is ordered or they're almost done with a model, they dump it! I'm going to guess it may even be below their cost. As stated, do a nice install, any probs with the faucet are not yours! Don't feel bad, Bill. 2 months ago I discovered I could buy Insinkerator disposers for just a little less @ Depot than at my main supplier. I'm small, so I don't have the buying power of the few "big dogs" left here, but when I confronted my sales rep, she shrugged her shoulders and told me they can't compete on certain products.

Comment

With client supplied fixtures our pricing covers the lost revenue on merchandise.

You could deduct the price of their faucet from your supplied faucet price.

Comment

Customer Supplied faucet ... Faucet CLOSED ... Turn on Supplies ... THEN Open Faucet !!!

Comment

Deals come and go all the time. You take advantage of them when you can just like your customer did.

Roll with the punches...

J.C.

Comment

Speaking of competing....the father of an acquaintance of mine called me to install the American Standard Champion he bought at home depot.
                      There was a problem with the supplied wax ring so I used mine.
                      The floor was out of level so I shimmed and caulked and it looked great.
                      I advised him on other projects around the house he was thinking of doing soon.
                      I even charged him a little less than my usual confiscatory profit margin since he was a friend's father.
                      He happily wrote the check.
                      He called me at dinner time to say his wife went ballistic when she heard what I charged because Home Depot said they would install it for $87.00!
                      "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

Comment

I would pay twice as much for a tradesman i can TRUST, over one that is cheaper.

Home Depot can diaf.

Comment

Originally posted by Ninjaskillz View Post
                          I would pay twice as much for a tradesman i can TRUST, over one that is cheaper.
                          Originally posted by Ninjaskillz View Post

Home Depot can diaf.
                          Very true Ninja. I and most guys that I know think along the same lines. Logicaly if you can trust someone to do a job properly it is well worth the extra cost for the peace of mind.

Women however don't (always) think logically. Skill sets, trust, knowledge factor, training, proper tools, license, whatever.....Two (or more) contractors quoting on doing the same job, it only makes sense to use the cheap guy!

Not all guys, and not all women think this way, just a lot that I've run across. We still have to train a lot of them on why it's better to go with a "more experienced, qualified price". This post isn’t a shot a women, but we do think differently.

I also agree that HD can diaf. Don't know what it means, and it probably doesn't go far enough, but it sounds bad, and that's a start. Not a fan of depots and pretend aprons.

Now I'm going to try to find a really, really safe place to hide….

Mick

Comment

I have a customer of mine who takes me down the basement everytime I finish a job for him, gives me half or more of the actual bill, then tells me to make out the invoice for the remaining balance, so his wife doesn't get upset over the price. This couple is only in their 50's.
                            I told him to put in his will, for her not to call me, if he dies first.

Comment

Originally posted by Fireguy97 View Post

Very true Ninja. I and most guys that I know think along the same lines. Logicaly if you can trust someone to do a job properly it is well worth the extra cost for the peace of mind.

Women however don't (always) think logically. Skill sets, trust, knowledge factor, training, proper tools, license, whatever.....Two (or more) contractors quoting on doing the same job, it only makes sense to use the cheap guy!

Not all guys, and not all women think this way, just a lot that I've run across. We still have to train a lot of them on why it's better to go with a "more experienced, qualified price". This post isn’t a shot a women, but we do think differently.

I also agree that HD can diaf. Don't know what it means, and it probably doesn't go far enough, but it sounds bad, and that's a start. Not a fan of depots and pretend aprons.

Now I'm going to try to find a really, really safe place to hide….

Mick
                              Very true. Many women I've met love to shop at payless because you can buy 5 pairs of shoes for 20 bucks but they break after wearing a couple times. My thinking is to buy some high quality shoes last will last. Not the wif, she just sees the bottom line.
                              Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Working...
                              X