X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Better Wax Ring?

These are what we found to be the best toilet seals out on the market, been using them for a few years and have not had any issues

http://www.siouxchief.com/Specialtie...-Cushion.KN3XV
    ________
    BMW 3 SERIES (E30) HISTORY
    Last edited by TOPDAWG; 02-24-2011, 06:28 PM.
    Mike

Comment

Originally posted by TOPDAWG View Post
      These are what we found to be the best toilet seals out on the market, been using them for a few years and have not had any issues

Thanks. I've had good experiences with Sioux Chief & this might be the best current alternative.

Similar to wall hung blowout seals I've seen.

J.C.

Comment

If there's one thing in this trade I hate, it's wax rings. I have and use the Ferncos. They have come down in price but are still more $$ than wax. Completely different from the Fluidmaster design; won't use that. The red rubber seal on those loses elasticity and they basically rest on that seal. As stated, Fernco seal is great on new WC that's haven't seen wax. I've spent lots of time trying to clean old good enough for good seal; didn't happen. I also stock the black foam seals on the truck; they work fine, the challenge is to have the multiple sizes required so that you're pushing on the foam, but not 3/4" above the floor like a rocking horse. OK, no more rebuilds/repairs; everyone buys a new toilet w/ Fernco seal included. Problem solved!

Comment

I've tried the ferncos many times and they haven't worked yet.
          Usually the horn on the toilet will not fit completely into the horn of the ring so it rocks (and rolls).
          Yes, I have all three sizes. I guess it depends on the brand of toilet.
          Of course this is also the issue with wax rings with horns - especially on one piece toilets.
          My guess is the molded outlet on the toilet is getting larger as the trap diameters are getting increasingly larger. These ferncos were probably designed for the more standard (and worthless imho) toilets.
          I'd like to see the outlet on a Caroma. It has a 4" trap doesn't it?
          "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by TOPDAWG View Post

One of the supply houses in my area (the only one besides the cheapo that carries Sioux Chief) pushes those rubber-foam rings.

Only used something like that for wall hung closets.

I'm with Ron on this one, Putty is the Potty seal Protector for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Swade Plumbing View Post
              One of the supply houses in my area (the only one besides the cheapo that carries Sioux Chief) pushes those rubber-foam rings.

Only used something like that for wall hung closets.

I'm with Ron on this one, Putty is the Potty seal Protector for me.
              In my 25 years in the plumbing trade I have only seen one toilet set with putty and when I pulled the toilet, the putty was rock hard and the floor was rotted.
              ________
              WEED VAPORIZER
              Last edited by TOPDAWG; 02-24-2011, 06:28 PM.
              Mike

Comment

I've used the Fernco a couple times and I just didn't like it. On one occasion I enthusiastically used it when I did a bath remodel and knew I was going to pull the toilet a couple times. I soon found out that I had to lay the toilet on its side due to that fog horn on the bottom.

Foam rings are ok. I have all sizes on the truck I just don't trust them yet. Either the toilet sets too high or too low. I don't know.

I don't know one plumber who uses plumbers putty for a toilet seal. That's some old school stuff there.
                Anyone can tear a man down, few can build one up.

Comment

The foam gaskets are great for concrete floors. The heat and cold destroys the bees wax .(expansion and contraction) I pull so many water cloests in Florida that no longer have a seal and the plumber did not set the water closet center on the closet bend and flange. The foam allows a complete seal around offset flanges.

Comment

I see tons of foam gaskets and installed quite a few. They are just as good or bad as wax. I have no trouble with them other than not having the right size when I need it. Now it's all wax but I use foam if I have it. especially if the toilet needs to get pulled. It is nice the way they hold the bolts straight up

Comment

i really don't see the problem. believe it or not i've set somewhere in the 10,000 range of toilets during my years of new construction. give or take a couple if the toilet flange is ruffed in correctly and you have a decent level floor, there is no reason for a leak.

i shim the toilet if the floor is off, i properly caulk a toilet to seal it down and keep it from moving, and i properly tighten the 1/4'' brass bolts that i've secured to the flange. i'm still waiting for a phone call that a toilet wax is leaking that i've installed. i should know as all the jobs had a 1 year warranty and a 10 year window.

the biggest issue i see are when handymen and floor installers think they know how to install a toilet. especially when the flange is 2'' below the floor

the old school putty i come across on old, old installation. i've seen where the horn literally broke off inside the pipe as the putty hardened like concrete.

wax might not be the best product we have, but it's been around for more years than all of us.

i carry a variety of bowl waxes and it's not uncommon for me to double them up. i also use the plastic horn to line up a wax ring. typically every toilet is a 4'' ring, unless a hack ruffed in a 3'' bend. i see very few 3'' flanges, less than 5% of all service work and 0% of all new work.

i'm waiting for the toto style rubber seals to leak with a main line stoppage. sure nice and clean to install, but what's the life span of a flexible seal on a toilet horn?

rick.
                      phoebe it is

Comment

Shims and caulk are the key, if it don't wobble, it don't leak

Comment

That is crazy plumbers using putty that is outlawed out here for the seal to the flange you can use it along the base of the bowl. I have installed about 10 of the fluidmaster waxless type however lately I have had problems too many closet flanges installed on top of tees so i've been back to wax , wax with horn,and stacking rings ect. all you need is a good putty knife and rags I mean we are plumbers right a little wax never hurt
                          Last edited by Clipper City Plumber; 01-05-2010, 10:54 PM.

Comment

I worked on a project where the floor guys installed the Fluidmaster bowl wax improperly after installing $50,000 in flooring. Two years later the entire floor needed to be replaced as the floor pattern was no longer available as a repair material.

Mark
                            "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                              I worked on a project where the floor guys installed the Fluidmaster bowl wax improperly after installing $50,000 in flooring. Two years later the entire floor needed to be replaced as the floor pattern was no longer available as a repair material.

Mark
                              What evidence was there to say they installed it improperly?

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by saysflushable View Post
                                I see tons of foam gaskets and installed quite a few. They are just as good or bad as wax. I have no trouble with them other than not having the right size when I need it. Now it's all wax but I use foam if I have it. especially if the toilet needs to get pulled. It is nice the way they hold the bolts straight up
                                What is nice is when bolts are nutted down to the flange.

Comment

Working...
                                X