Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Better Wax Ring?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Re: Better Wax Ring?

    Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
    What evidence was there to say they installed it improperly?

    J.C.
    The penetration through the floor was too large so the piece of cardboard they use to help the sticky stuff didn't work plus the bowl still had the old wax residue on it. When the water closet was pulled, the adhesive part was an inch below the horn.

    Mark
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

    I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

    Comment


    • #32
      Re: Better Wax Ring?

      Originally posted by Clipper City Plumber View Post
      That is crazy plumbers using putty that is outlawed out here for the seal to the flange you can use it along the base of the bowl. I have installed about 10 of the fluidmaster waxless type however lately I have had problems too many closet flanges installed on top of tees so i've been back to wax , wax with horn,and stacking rings ect. all you need is a good putty knife and rags I mean we are plumbers right a little wax never hurt
      Here you go right from the Illinois plumbing code. The last setance is the part about we are able to use plumbers putty.

      Section 890.360 Water Closet and Pedestal Urinal

      Fixture connections between drainage pipes and water closets, floor outlet service sinks and pedestal urinals, and earthenware trap standards shall be made by means of brass, copper, hard lead, plastic, or iron flanges; caulked, soldered, screwed or solvent welded to the drainage pipe. Flanges of hard lead, plastic and iron flanges for no-hub or compression joints shall be secured to the floor. The connection shall be bolted, with a gasket, washer or setting compound, between the earthenware and the flange. The floor flange shall be set on an approved firm base. The use of putty or non-drying plumber's putty manufactured specifically for plumbing installation is acceptable.
      Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
      Ron's Facebook
      A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
      Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
      Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

      Comment


      • #33
        Re: Better Wax Ring?

        Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
        one would be putting a lot of faith in the adhesive where movement is common.
        Eljer had a problem with a similar "permanent" adhesive in the ultra one toilets.

        Comment


        • #34
          Re: Better Wax Ring?

          Originally posted by TOPDAWG View Post
          In my 25 years in the plumbing trade I have only seen one toilet set with putty and when I pulled the toilet, the putty was rock hard and the floor was rotted.
          I've never had a problem with putty in over 10 years. Had one today where the wax slid during adjustment (I didn't put the wax ring on). Didn't leak, but caused a big stink of sewer gas.

          Putty was ok for my grandfather (and great-grandfather) when they installed the toilets and piping systems that I service today and it's ok for me too. Not for everyone, and I understand that. This is akin to drum vs. sectional. You use what you're comfortable with and what has proven to work for you.

          P.S. Thanks for the quote Ron, I know we can always count on you and Mark for accurate code info.

          -Chris

          Comment


          • #35
            Re: Better Wax Ring?

            I'm sure a drop head toilet auger would rip it out or damage it. I'll stick with wax
            Rod
            MT. Washington Sewer & Drain Cleaning
            Serving Berlin, NH and North Conway, NH areas
            http://unclognh.com
            http://mtwashingtonseweranddrainclea...m/default.aspx

            Charging less does not mean more call volume it just means you have to work harder to reach your goals.

            Comment


            • #36
              Re: Better Wax Ring?

              I remember the first time I seen putty used as a seal.

              WTF...

              Crap was rock hard and broke off in two inch chunks.

              I love wax, it gets all over my hands sometimes, and when it is cold, it is SO easy to work with. Love that stuff really. I was actually looking for a more primitive way of making that seal. Any ideas?

              Comment


              • #37
                Re: Better Wax Ring?

                Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
                Here you go right from the Illinois plumbing code. The last setance is the part about we are able to use plumbers putty.

                Section 890.360 Water Closet and Pedestal Urinal

                Fixture connections between drainage pipes and water closets, floor outlet service sinks and pedestal urinals, and earthenware trap standards shall be made by means of brass, copper, hard lead, plastic, or iron flanges; caulked, soldered, screwed or solvent welded to the drainage pipe. Flanges of hard lead, plastic and iron flanges for no-hub or compression joints shall be secured to the floor. The connection shall be bolted, with a gasket, washer or setting compound, between the earthenware and the flange. The floor flange shall be set on an approved firm base. The use of putty or non-drying plumber's putty manufactured specifically for plumbing installation is acceptable.
                We have to use National Standard Plumbing code only Maryland and New Jersy use this code. Plumbers putty is only allowed as a base and can not be used as the seal.

                Comment


                • #38
                  Re: Better Wax Ring?

                  Is there such a thing as non hardening putty?

                  Or is it non hardening if it is totally sealed away from air?

                  Cause ALL the putty I have ever scrapped off sinks, or pulled from under toilets, was hard

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    Re: Better Wax Ring?

                    This is why I use putty over wax about 75% of the time.

                    Pulled this stack off of a 5 y/o Kohler Wellworth tonight. the rings were stuck to the bottom of the bowl and never even made contact with the CI flange. Never leaked when flushed, but leaked like all hell when the line backed up. The horn is probably the only thing that kept it from leaking when flushed.
                    Attached Files

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      Re: Better Wax Ring?

                      Originally posted by Swade Plumbing View Post
                      This is why I use putty over wax about 75% of the time.

                      Pulled this stack off of a 5 y/o Kohler Wellworth tonight. the rings were stuck to the bottom of the bowl and never even made contact with the CI flange. Never leaked when flushed, but leaked like all hell when the line backed up. The horn is probably the only thing that kept it from leaking when flushed.
                      Surprised they didn't have any problem with sewer gas smell.

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        Re: Better Wax Ring?

                        Originally posted by Swade Plumbing View Post
                        This is why I use putty over wax about 75% of the time.

                        Pulled this stack off of a 5 y/o Kohler Wellworth tonight. the rings were stuck to the bottom of the bowl and never even made contact with the CI flange. Never leaked when flushed, but leaked like all hell when the line backed up. The horn is probably the only thing that kept it from leaking when flushed.
                        If the wax isn't deep enough it won't seal. If the putty isn't deep enough it won't seal either. The wax isn't the problem, the plumber was the problem.
                        Time flies like an arrow.

                        Fruit flies like a banana.

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          Re: Better Wax Ring?

                          Originally posted by geno gardner View Post
                          If the wax isn't deep enough it won't seal. If the putty isn't deep enough it won't seal either. The wax isn't the problem, the plumber was the problem.
                          I'm sorry, but triple stacking wax rings is asking for trouble

                          Comment


                          • #43
                            Re: Better Wax Ring?

                            How to remove a WC after 50 or more years, that was installed with plumbers putty.
                            Attached Files
                            INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
                            Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

                            Comment


                            • #44
                              Re: Better Wax Ring?

                              Originally posted by Gene Bickford View Post
                              How to remove a WC after 50 or more years, that was installed with plumbers putty.
                              Thats why I wouldn't use putty, because in 50yrs when you want to remove the toilet, it may break, and you would have to buy a new one. Nothing lasts like it used to, LOL.

                              Comment


                              • #45
                                Re: Better Wax Ring?

                                i too had a toilet horn snap off due to putty.

                                a properly installed flange and wax ring is set for life. no leaks period.

                                rick.
                                phoebe it is

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X