Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Better Wax Ring?

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
    i too had a toilet horn snap off due to putty.

a properly installed flange and wax ring is set for life. no leaks period.

rick.
    I think your right, but other factors occurr too, that is beyond our control.
    1- Plastic flanges today, flex a little,{especially those pos schedule 30 flanges that are in most newer houses around here}, causing the toilets to loosen up, even if it is caulked at base.And on top of that very few of the flanges are installed at proper height, because they were installed on the rough, & no one can guess the exact height of finish floor, so it was easier to stay low, & pile wax rings high.
    2- Contruction of the flooring, and joists below is cheaper today. I walk in some of these bathrooms, and the whole floor moves.{And for all you that are thinking it, I weigh about 200lbs. LOL}
    3-Older people use the toilet as a crutch, when sitting, push off when getting up.
    4- America is getting bigger in the waist line, and if they don't plop down square on the toilet, it will move.

Very little slab floors in my neck of the woods.

Comment

I have pulled many water closets that where set with putty. Some over 50 years old. Never had them stuck to the putty and flange like that. Now I seen ones where they used plaster under the water closet, now them where stuck real good.
      Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
      A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
      Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
      Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
        I have pulled many water closets that where set with putty. Some over 50 years old. Never had them stuck to the putty and flange like that. Now I seen ones where they used plaster under the water closet, now them where stuck real good.
        Just was in a commercial building where the "fixit" guy there tiled the floors in the Men's & Women's bathroom.

Looks good.

But he did not raise one single flange. They call me for a sewer backup and you cannot remove any of the toilets because they are thickly grouted and countersunk under the tile.

I GUARANTEE you that when one of the toilets has to be removed that it will break. And they're old. And you won't be able to match the footprint.

I make more mistakes than I should probably, but I try to install things with the assumption that they will have to be worked on or taken apart at a later date.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
          Just was in a commercial building where the "fixit" guy there tiled the floors in the Men's & Women's bathroom.

Looks good.

But he did not raise one single flange. They call me for a sewer backup and you cannot remove any of the toilets because they are thickly grouted and countersunk under the tile.

I GUARANTEE you that when one of the toilets has to be removed that it will break. And they're old. And you won't be able to match the footprint.

I make more mistakes than I should probably, but I try to install things with the assumption that they will have to be worked on or taken apart at a later date.

J.C.
          Ever come across an item called the BigFoot Cover plate? The idea behind it is to cover the stained floor or old footprint when installing a new water closet. I had a home owner ask me about it. http://www.azpartsmaster.com/Product...e__I28903.aspx

Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
            Ever come across an item called the BigFoot Cover plate? The idea behind it is to cover the stained floor or old footprint when installing a new water closet. I had a home owner ask me about it. http://www.azpartsmaster.com/Product...e__I28903.aspx

No. But I have encountered the "Dumbazz Fixit Man".

Thanks for the tip. Good to learn about something new that might be useful.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
              No. But I have encountered the "Dumbazz Fixit Man".

Thanks for the tip. Good to learn about something new that might be useful.

J.C.
              I think its more of a beauty ring than anything else. I doubt it would of helped where the tile was right up against the water closet. Unless you raised the flange and screwed a piece of plywood cut to the shape of the old water closet in the blank spot to level out the floor, then use the BigFoot to cover up the wood/tile.

Comment

The bottom of a toilet flange should sit on top of the finished floor. The flange should be secured to floor in all screw holes. I never use the adjustable slots....I feel they are weak. The floor should be level and the toilet base should be molded flat. No crappy B grade china.

Putty is better than wax if the putty is applied correctly and its good quality putty. Several old timers I have very close contact with and some have since passed away say that there is not near the amount of oil in plumbers putty as it use to be. Why do i say putty is better if the flange is proper and the floor is level? Simply because it makes a better seal. If the sewer backs up and the H.O. uses a plunger it can blow a wax seal out.....and I have seen wax seals that have appeared to melt away....

I have removed countless toilets installed with putty and alot of them I had to kick them on the sideto break them loose....about 50% of them left the horn on the flange....broke away from the toilet.

Comment

I to use wax but on certen ocasions I do use non hardning puddy
                  SMELLS LIKE $$$$$$ TO ME

Comment

Originally posted by Gene Bickford View Post
                    How to remove a WC after 50 or more years, that was installed with plumbers putty.
                    THIS SAY'S IT ALL ! Looks like a homicide seen from Bonneie and clyde!
                    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Just wanted to chime in and say that I'll stick to wax. Seems more reliable and less hassle then these waxless seals. And wax is pretty damn quick....

And if you hate wax getting on your hands..... latex/vinyl gloves - it works for me
                      Ideal Plumbing

Comment

Working...
                      X