X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Better Wax Ring?

http://www.fernco.com/plumbing/wax-free-toilet-seal anyone try these?
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Re: Better Wax Ring?

Not yet. But I'm about too. Found them a couple of years back. Then they were going for $12.00+ and I thought to myself this will NEVER take off at that price point. $1.00+- vs. $12.00+-. NO WAY!

But I just recently saw them at around $3.00 (can't remember where) and that's right in the pocket to get them to move.

My worry was that the adhesive would come off but someone said that it bonds tight to the open grained porcelain.

Anyone know if it is code approved for IPC?

Thanks.

J.C.

Comment

Just checked IPC but didn't any prohibitions. Maybe Mark would have some insight?
      Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

I was just given a set of these to try.
        I think one would be real good in a temp. install
        situation where the toilet is coming up a time or 2.

Comment

one would be putting a lot of faith in the adhesive where movement is common.

Comment

I tried them, they are junk on a used toilet, the old wax makes them not stick even if you wipe real good (maybe a chemical would help but now thats another trip to the truck) On a new toilet they are great no leaks easy install. $3 at Amazon.com Somebody on here told me about the wax thing I didn't listen and ended up with 8 of them. I use them on all new toilet installs trying to get rid of them. plus you have to carry a 3" or 4" model for the situation.
            Last edited by Cuda; 01-04-2010, 01:09 AM.
            Seattle Drain Service

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
              They are UPC listed so you can use them. However, I would question using them on anything but a new water closet which is ultra clean. In addition, I would worry about that seal during a mainline stoppage.

Mark
              "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

I will stick to my plumbers putty, thank you.
                Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
                  I will stick to my plumbers putty, thank you.
                  Talk about old school. You must be at least 2nd generation.
                  Used to be that old toilets had such a deep horn that you didn't even need
                  a flange. Just a big rope of putty and bolt it to the floor.

Cuda's right in that the bowl has to be absolutely clean for these things to
                  stick. Who wants to take the extra time for that on a reset? Plus you have
                  to carry at least 3 different sizes to cover all possibilities. I don't have
                  enough room in the van as it is. Also it doesn't fit into C.I. without some
                  lubrication. Another unnecessary step.

So JC & Ben, save your money. Sometimes the old ways are better.

Comment

a few years back, fluidmaster had a counter day at the supply house. the rep was demo-ing their line of waxless rings.

this was the deal. buy a waxless ring and get a free 400a ballcock

cost of the ring was around $4.00. cost of a ballcock at the time was $6.00.

i told him give me a case.

i've gone through many more cases since then

but i still have all the waxless rings still sitting on the shelf

rick.
                    phoebe it is

Comment

I got some samples a couple years ago, they were a big pain in the arse in my humble opinion.

bowl wax is easier

Comment

I still can't believe we don't have a positive seal for a toilet to pipe hook up.

Comment

Originally posted by saysflushable View Post
                          I still can't believe we don't have a positive seal for a toilet to pipe hook up.
                          I guess the toilet manufacturers could have a standard outlet with a Fernco type connection on the horn underneath. Have to be cast with enough clearance.

Then it could have those two sealing ribs like on the one Gear Junkie posted.

But it won't happen. Enjoy your wax. Better not get any on your shoe sole.

J.C.

Comment

I remember trying the fluid master one once ..pain in the a$$
                            it had some little cardboard fold out thing you line up to hold some thing up
                            I will take a wax ..thank you

Comment

They could make it somewhat like the Toto skirted toilets, with the offset boot, and a flexible rubber gasket inside the inlet, that allows the toilet, which has basically about a 4" integral pipe like stub,{horn}, made out of the china, that slips down snugly into rubber gasket. They could do the same for standard toilets. Just make an integral horn out of the china of the toilet, at the outlet.
                              For new install they could have a flange with rubber already installed. For replacement jobs, they could have a cap like piece, to go over current flange, with an opening & gasket in the middle, like the Toto boot.Still would have to seal the cap to existing flange with a wax seal, but it would be exposed and you could tell if the seal worked properly.Toilet can then be taken in and out, without the mess of replacing the wax seal.

P.s. Sorry if you can't follow my rambling, but I don't know how to draw on the computer. LOL. Love this site so far and all the info. As you can tell I'm new to this.

Comment

Working...
                              X