X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• interesting problem

I just came from a house with an interesting problem. The glue joints on his cpvc water and fire sprinkler pipe are failing. He has had five leaks in the past several weeks. The piping is fifteen years old. They recently had a remodel where they put spray foam in all the walls, including interior walls. The leaks show up when temp's change dramatically(according to the home owner).
    Anyone have this problem before? I have an Idea of what is causing it, but I'd like to see if any of you have had this happen before.
    Mike

Re: interesting problem

My experience with older CPVC (non FlowGaurd) is that it gets brittle and cracks, not the joints, but the piping and fittings. Also the transitition fittings that are CPVC to Brass MIP.

Comment

Ten to one, the wrong solvent was originally used, either ABS or universal solvent, but your mention of the spray-in foam has me pondering if there isn't some type of reaction to the foam.

I've seen CPVC hold pressure and pass inspection with the apprentice having forgotten to use glue at all, joints with the wrong solvent lasting 15 years wouldn't surprise me....maybe the changes in temperature is finally exposing the probem via thermal expansion.

Comment

No cleaner on the two part cement for the cpvc and wrong glue on the fire sprinkler.
        DB got it.
        The homeowner wanted it to be the foam. He was not happy when I told him.
        Mike

Comment

I win the grand prize!!

Unless omething was different fifteen years ago, CPVC has a one step solvent, no primer.

Even if universal solvent might work on lower pressure applications, it doesn't give a true solvent weld if it's not specifically CPVC solvent.

Comment

most of the orange store brands r 2 step. here the inspector requires purple primer even on flow guard it gets messy sometimes

Comment

This two part cpvc glue had a pink color when dry.
              DB you win an all expense paid trip to Medford! Exclusions and restrictions apply.
              Mike

Comment

Originally posted by myakka View Post
                This two part cpvc glue had a pink color when dry.
                DB you win an all expense paid trip to Medford! Exclusions and restrictions apply.
                Mike
                Dunno where "Medord" is....did you mean "Meffah"?

Comment

I primer anyways if its going to have pressure on it. but don't primer on my t&p line.

Anyone have any dry times on flowguard glue in extreme temps? 32 and below

Comment

I have put in quite a bit of cpvc fire sprinkler pipe and use the one step glue, no primer required. Glue the pipe and fitting, push it home and give a little twist, you have about 10 seconds to pull apart if you messed up, after that it is pretty much all over. The pipe is orange in color, and the glue is a pinkish red color. A 200 psi for two hour hydrostatic test is also required for fire sprinkler piping.

G3

Comment

Originally posted by DuckButter View Post
                      Dunno where "Medord" is....did you mean "Meffah"?

Damn, gone from Mass. for a few years and I loose my accent.

Comment

i have see people use cleaner not primer. hacks and diyres. when i explain the fault they usually keep right on going. breid..............

Comment

spray foam. i sprayed polyurethane foam 40 years ago give or take. poly u will bond to plastic. if it will bond, it will "unbond" also. two part foam can be tricky. if the mix is out of whack who knows what it could do. depends on the quality of the installer..... i'm like duck my guess is wrong solvent, bad or no primer, cleaner instead of primer and/or bad installation. did you get to see the bad parts? purple? breid.................

Comment

I must admit, I thought cleaner and primer where the same thing. I've been using the terms interchangeably for years. I stand corrected. The products I used in Massachusetts said Cleaner/Primer on the can.
                            Mike

Comment

mike maybe your brand is. if it's primer you are good to go. my advice is to not use it for cleaner. i use my cleaner to clean plastic pipes when i find duct tape and other crap on them. grease whatever. primer will soften the pipes to much. cleaner also will take the glue residue that the concrete cowboys leave when they use duct tape to hold their forms on the nice lady's house. ask me how i know. is it purple or clear primer. i use both, depends where i'm at. do you remember the brand? breid.............

Comment

Working...
                              X