Made in china

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Made in china

Epicenter was a little east of the Calaveras Reservoir.
    From Wikipedia:
    Calaveras Dam, which creates the reservoir, used to be the largest earth-fill dam in the world. It is 210 feet (64 m) and was completed in 1925. The city and county of San Francisco owns the dam and reservoir.

Because the dam is located near a seismically active fault zone and was determined to be seismically vulnerable, the California Department of Water Resources, Division of Safety of Dams (DSOD) has limited since 2001 the amount of water that can be stored in the reservoir to approximately 40 percent of its former full storage capacity (full storage capacity is 96,850 acre-feet (119,500,000 m³) of water) until the safety deficiencies are corrected.
    The San Francisco Public Utilities Commission plans to construct a new dam of equal height downstream of the existing dam as part of a $4.3 billion Water System Improvement Program. Construction is estimated to begin in 2011.

Comment

I still keep a few watts die elec unions on my truck
      I use to use them on every water heater, but i would get way to much crud build up in the d.e.u.
      not to mention how hard it is to dig out the old gasket when you take it apart
      I use the copper flex now..if i tie one in tight with copper i use a copper union instead

Comment

Why in the he!! don't the w/h manufacturers put in brass nipples?

It is NOT enough extra cost to even be noticed or cause any loss of market share to them.

Plus some of them put insulation in the box that has a wall less than 1" thick, so it's unuseable to me.

Essentially, they've put more trash in the box for me to throw away.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
          Why in the he!! don't the w/h manufacturers put in brass nipples?

It is NOT enough extra cost to even be noticed or cause any loss of market share to them.

Plus some of them put insulation in the box that has a wall less than 1" thick, so it's unuseable to me.

Essentially, they've put more trash in the box for me to throw away.

J.C.
          I just removed an 18 yr old state 40 gal gas heater last month for a tankless install and it was in perfect working condition....I don't think anyone here could debate that State's heaters DON'T last that long any more.

The money saved in cheaper Chinese alloys in conjunction with increased sales from substantially faster failure rates equals greater sales vs cheaper money to manufacture....cha-ching for executive bonuses.

You're a great plumber, but a horrible corporate executive, the latest craze in the corporate world is "cost cutting", firing Americans & outsourcing American jobs to China while buying cheap Chinese goods to sell to us at the same rates they've always charged.

If anyone bitches, just blame unions.

Oh, being a "horrible corporate executive" is a compliment in my book.

Comment

my supply house sent me some 1/2 and 3/4 ips ball valves today made in thailand i mean how much money do they actually save. when products fail its usually in the worst possible location to get to. it just really tics me off american pride gets traded 4 a few bucks

Comment

Pretty sure my Ridgid MicroExplorer is made in an Asian country.

J.C.

Comment

i know i guess im a hipocrit as i'm trying to find the best price online 4 a micro explorer instead of just biting the upcharge from my supply house

Comment

Originally posted by mr bonds View Post
                  i know i guess im a hipocrit as i'm trying to find the best price online 4 a micro explorer instead of just biting the upcharge from my supply house
                  At the time, I found the lowest price at my local Fergusons. And I did check online too.

J.C.

Comment

Fergusoins is one supplier I use a lot now, but some of their supplies are as bad as HD quality, the thing I like about Fergies is they deliver almost anything which free's up time for me rather then going there....I can actually call in a water heater the night before and be on the job removing the old one as the new one arrives.

I have one other supplier that matches their prices in my area, but delivers only big things like boilers or large orders, I'd be laughed at for a water heater.

Comment

[QUOTE=PLUMBER RICK;272438]
                      Originally posted by Don the plumber View Post
                      I know your a pro Rick, but I always think those flex connectors on water heaters looked like a homeowner or amateur handyman installed it. Thats just my opinion, but nothing wrong with it, as far as functioning.

QUOTE]

i was working on a 400 unit apartment complex in the late 80's when we had a decent earthquake about 30 miles away. fortunately the flexes allowed movement and none tore out the copper. just about every heater needed to be re-strapped as back then all we had was plumbers tape to secure them to the wall.

ever since our 1994 northridge quake, we learned that a 50 gal. heater approx. 550# with water can't stay put. we now have approved seismic straps that keep the heaters from falling, but most don't keep the heater from moving.

who still connects sinks and toilets with hard chrome spaghetti?

kohler's replacement ballcock comes with a flex to prevent the ballcock from breaking at the shank.

rick.
                      I never even thought about earthquakes. Don't have many here in MI.
                      Sounds like most of your water heaters are installed in closets, or 1st floor area? 98% of the water heaters I install, are in the basement.

Comment

Actually seen a water heater installed UNDER a house a few weeks back.

Comment

Originally posted by Ninjaskillz View Post
                          Actually seen a water heater installed UNDER a house a few weeks back.
                          I see lowboys all the time under houses.

J.C.

Comment

"Made in China". It is pretty bad when you go to the supply house and ask if you can get something "Made In Mexico".
                            WE LIVE IN THE LAND OF THE FREE,
                            ONLY BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE

Comment

Working...
                            X