X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Made in china

We got a call this morning about a water heater leaking that we put in back in June. Bill went over this afternoon to look and see what the problem was and here is what he found
    Attachment Attachment Attachment
    Nice to see the quality steel used in making plumbing products that our suppliers buy to save a few pennies. I have to wonder what other MADE IN CHINA items that we install will fail
    ________
    MAZDA CX-5 PICTURE
    Attached Files
    Last edited by TOPDAWG; 02-24-2011, 06:29 PM.
    Mike

Re: Made in china

its embarrasing trying to explain to customers its not our fault we just can't hardly get good products anymore yet we still warranty everything

Comment

what was the brand name on that union?

Comment

China in the aircraft parts business yet?

Comment

No name import in a white box even the counter guys dont know who makes them but they took the place of Watts which we have used for many years and never had a problem with them
          ________
          Silver Surfer Review
          Last edited by TOPDAWG; 02-24-2011, 06:29 PM.
          Mike

Comment

I've been bitching about Chinese replacement AC parts for years, nobody in the wholesale business seems to care. It's all about making mucho dinero as fast as you can.To hell with the consumer or the service person who catches flak when the parts prematurely fail.

james

Comment

Originally posted by TOPDAWG View Post
              We got a call this morning about a water heater leaking that we put in back in June. Bill went over this afternoon to look and see what the problem was and here is what he found
              Attachment Attachment Attachment
              Nice to see the quality steel used in making plumbing products that our suppliers buy to save a few pennies. I have to wonder what other MADE IN CHINA items that we install will fail
              Start sending bills to your supplier when you encounter a premature failure such as this.

Spread the word to others. When they get enough of it, the quality will change.

Only way to get them to care.

J.C.
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by stokefire7 View Post
                China in the aircraft parts business yet?
                They've been "in it" for a while. In the 1980's, there were several Department of Defense alerts regarding bolts that were being counterfeited in China, smuggled in, and found their way into both the manufacturing and logistics chain.

I used to own an automotive engine machine shop. There were several reasons I sold it, but one of the main ones was that between the late 1990's and 2002-2003, many of the domestic parts suppliers went under or outsourced production to China. There were some parts, like valve guides, for which there wee *no* domestic sources. And the parts were horrible - dimensional tolerances, finish and material quality. This put warranty costs out of my control - no matter how good the machine work is, if the parts are bad, the motor is bad. My point - it's happening all around.

Comment

haven't used a dielectric union in years and years and years. i still have many domestic ones if you're interested.

we use copper or stainless flex connectors. or brass nipples and fittings.

i'm still waiting for the heater company to pay me my labor on that leaker from a couple weeks ago.

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

I know your a pro Rick, but I always think those flex connectors on water heaters looked like a homeowner or amateur handyman installed it. Thats just my opinion, but nothing wrong with it, as far as functioning.

I totally agree with ditching the dielectrics, I have seen many of them corroded, like in the picture, after just a short period of time.I think they cause more harm than good. Unfortunately here in Michigan, they are required.

Comment

we do the same as rick unless the engineer specs it

Comment

[QUOTE=Don the plumber;272413]I know your a pro Rick, but I always think those flex connectors on water heaters looked like a homeowner or amateur handyman installed it. Thats just my opinion, but nothing wrong with it, as far as functioning.

QUOTE]

i was working on a 400 unit apartment complex in the late 80's when we had a decent earthquake about 30 miles away. fortunately the flexes allowed movement and none tore out the copper. just about every heater needed to be re-strapped as back then all we had was plumbers tape to secure them to the wall.

ever since our 1994 northridge quake, we learned that a 50 gal. heater approx. 550# with water can't stay put. we now have approved seismic straps that keep the heaters from falling, but most don't keep the heater from moving.

who still connects sinks and toilets with hard chrome spaghetti?

kohler's replacement ballcock comes with a flex to prevent the ballcock from breaking at the shank.

rick.
                        Last edited by PLUMBER RICK; 01-07-2010, 01:21 PM.
                        phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                          ever since our 1994 northridge quake, we learned that a 50 gal. heater approx. 550# with water can't stay put. we know have approved seismic straps that keep the heaters from falling, but most don't keep the heater from moving. rick.
                          Even if the straps keep the heater from moving, what keeps the wall it's attached to from moving? When the ground is rolling like waves on the ocean, hold downs, sheer walls, even reinforced concrete will move.
                          Man plans, God laughs.

Speaking of which, I just felt an earthquake a few minutes ago. No matter how many you experience they always get your attention.
                          Last edited by Plumbus; 01-07-2010, 02:36 PM.

Comment

Well for those of us that still use dielectric unions the ones that are junk are from Matco-Norca. I have been told by many to use copper FIP adapters but I just dont like the way the finish product looks and untill now we have never had a problem with using dielectric unions till the supply house switched from WATTS to this Matco-Norca garbage.
                            ________
                            Triax
                            Last edited by TOPDAWG; 02-24-2011, 06:30 PM.
                            Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Plumbus View Post
                              Even if the straps keep the heater from moving, what keeps the wall it's attached to from moving? When the ground is rolling like waves on the ocean, hold downs, sheer walls, even reinforced concrete will move.
                              Man plans, God laughs.

Speaking of which, I just felt an earthquake a few minutes ago. No matter how many you experience they always get your attention.
                              Spoken like a fellow Californian! I felt that earthquake, too. Just one quick hit here, no rolling. Haven't heard yet where the epicenter was.

Speaking as a engineer, not a plumber, I strongly prefer the flex tubes and use them whenever I can. For exactly the reason Plumbus and Rick have stated.

The only exception is my water softener. H-D didn't have 1" flex in any flavor, so I hard plumbed it. But I also made a cradle out of ply and 2x4s to hard-mount that resin tank to the stud walls. Again, because as Plumbus said, the walls move. My rig doesn't stop the movement, but it ensures that the resin tank and the wall will move together. It's pretty stout - hope it's good enough....the plumbing connects to a valve on top of the resin tank and that sure can't take a lot of movement.

Comment

Working...
                              X