Fire Backflow Question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fire Backflow Question

Im doing my first fire system recert backflow tomorrow. Is there any other major differences from a regular RPB or DCV I think I will notify the alarm company. And better not forget to turn back on the water
    You can lose with me, but you can't win without me!.... PPI

Re: Fire Backflow Question

Same thing just bigger. Here the backflow testers have to run under a fire sprinkler contractors license since they are working on a fire sprinkler system.

A call to the alarm company would be advised if they are monitored, just ask them to put it on test for an hour. The fire dept. gets a little upset on false alarms. Might also want to locate the fire alarm panel so you can silence the alarms if you accidently set them off (you should not though).

If you dump the rpz for any length of time you will need a mop and bucket depending on where it is at, most floor drains will not handle it. Since you are in Florida is it located outside? All of ours are on the inside or in a hot box to prevent freezing.

You should be fine if you test back flows out all the time. The big company in town only takes them about 5 minutes and they are ready to leave, but this is all that they do.

G3

Comment

Thanks, yea here you just need a plumbing contractor license. And all of them are outside at least all of South Florida. Although it got to 36 degrees the other night the lowest I can remember. Almost freezing
      You can lose with me, but you can't win without me!.... PPI

Comment

Here in Illinois the backflow devices are the plumbers resposablity. The spinkler guys can not touch it.
        Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
        A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
        Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
        Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

here in missouri anyone with the right asse cert, or abpa cert can touch them. so plumbers, fire sprinkler guys, or irrigation guys.
          No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Here the back flow guys just have test papers that have the sprinkler contractors name and license number on it. No big deal really.

G3

Comment

Originally posted by G3sprinklers View Post
              Here the back flow guys just have test papers that have the sprinkler contractors name and license number on it. No big deal really.

G3
              WOW! in IL not just any plumber but a plumber with an additional cross connection license is the only one allowed to touch them. that seems reasonable to me....backflow preventers are built to protect the potable water supply after all

Comment

I don't think I stated that right. The back flow testers here are trained and licensed by the state, but for them to test out the back flows on the fire sprinklers they have to have a sprinkler contractors license. To get around this they are just using test forms with the sprinkler contractors name and license number on it (with their consent of course).

Does that clear it up now?

G3

Comment

Working...
                X