Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: I think I'm getting burned out.

Originally posted by Tyman View Post
    I know I'm not alone when I say I'm getting burned out plumbing. What do you guys do to bring back the vigor?
    The problem, I'm convinced, started the day you removed the avatar of the small dog with rabbit ears, it was all downhill from there.....bring back the dog.

Originally posted by Bogart View Post
    I burn out, then get really shitty about everything, then I will get a couple of good jobs and have a good couple of weeks and I am fine for the next 6 months. I notice my burnout comes when I get too wrapped up in work, whether it's too slow or too busy or the boss being unreasonable, or customers being a jerk. If I pray more and read the Bible more, it helps me.

Identical....except for the boss.

I go through a cycle, as follows -
    Work suddenly gets insane, the calls are coming in too fast and at first I'm worried that I'll either lose a regular or I'll screw something up rushing it.

Then, as I start to catch up, more calls, I start to actually get a rhythm, put in long days to the extent the lil' lady starts complaining., but my obsessive nature kicks in and I start to like the challenge.

Then it slows, maybe a few small jobs per week for a month, I enjoy the slowdown.

A few weeks later it isn't speeding up, I start to worry again....it continues.

Right when I start to get worried enough to start glancing at the local classifieds and making calls to other contractors to see if they have anything, the first call comes in....usually from some guy I did a small job for two years ago and can't remember to save my life

Then it starts all over again.

Originally posted by NorthernIllinoisPlumber View Post
    I dont have enough work to burn me out.
    See above, I doubt that'll last long, just remind yourself to use the spare time to do tie up the loose ends or chores you will be kicking yourself for not doing when you had the time.

Comment

I think it has a lot to do with who is waiting for you at home and the level of support you get there. I've been married for 30 years now. Needless to say, I'm suffering from serious burnout.
      "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

Comment

Plumbing can be like a Girls Gone Wild video. You think you're getting burned out but then....NEW TA-TA'S!

J.C.

Comment

I think no matter the job you have ups and downs and if you put in too much time you'll get burned out. If it is just you're kind of dragging on through the day, but not getting anything real done; I've found that it relaxing or a change of pace can will just work itself out. On the other hand, when I end up burning out because of working too hard, for too long, to the exclusion of everything else; I ended up making more radical changes (one time quitting my job, the other time getting my boss to agree to only 40 hours a week and weekends off).

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
            Play guitar.

Buy something I want.

Have an interest away from plumbing or whatever your occupation may be.

Look for some other challenge.

This will sound corny, but get some exercise. You think it may not be related, but it is.

J.C.
            A:I play "choir director" for the band I'm in.
            I learn all the harmony parts on the geetar then
            teach it back to the rest of the band.

B: Pinball

Comment

Originally posted by Jay Mpls View Post
              A:I play "choir director" for the band I'm in.
              I learn all the harmony parts on the geetar then
              teach it back to the rest of the band.

B: Pinball
              The kind of geetar play I enjoy is some Seesick Steve. The first video is him playing three string trans boogie The second Vid is him playing is 1 string diddley bo song is save me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNoPNC3ebYQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMf-em-56Mc
              Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
              A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
              Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
              Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

At around 4:55 into the video, you get a real "down home" introduction to great playing, my all time favorite guitarist -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cadbYIzhqQ

Believe it or not, his claim to fame was starting out as a sort of acid rock guitarist in the 60's-70's.

Comment

That was a great performance Duck. I've seen McLaughlin & DiMeola play when they get too crazy playing speed just for the sake of speed.

But this one is great in my opinion.

Thanks.

J.C.

Comment

Plumbing can be like a Girls Gone Wild video. You think you're getting burned out but then....NEW TA-TA'S!

J.C.

I can relate; I had 14 pairs to tend to one year. Every man on this earth should try that, at least once. No, they are not all the same.

But alas, I have cleaned my act up, never to be that away again.
                    Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

One guitarist I got to see live at the Metro in Chicago was Buckethead,. The guy is just amazing, he could do anything with a guitar.
                      Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                      A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                      Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                      Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

That was a great performance Duck. I've seen McLaughlin & DiMeola play when they get too crazy playing speed just for the sake of speed.

But this one is great in my opinion.

Thanks.

J.C.

A good friend of mine is a professional musician, plays for a symphony, he gets the inside skinny of upcoming events and would hook us up with the best when they were coming in town before they were sold out.

Got to see Mike Stearns live and three feet away, watched Tommy Flanagan less than a year before he was gone.

But, when McLaughlin came to town, I missed the boat for an emergency call, I was on call when one of the shops high end customers called in.

Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
                        One guitarist I got to see live at the Metro in Chicago was Buckethead,. The guy is just amazing, he could do anything with a guitar.
                        Put on stage with Les Claypool and the term "acid rock" takes on a whole new meaning, this guy is one continuous arpeggio.

Comment

i'm currently on burn out and if it all works out. i'm taking a family vacation next weekend. i last about 3 months of cold then i get cabin fever!!
                          the only dumb question is the one that is not asked!

Comment

I watched some of Buckethead on youtube. That fvucker is nothing short of amazing. Thanks.

Comment

I saw him "play" for about 5 minutes. He was booed and heckled off stage when the soundtrack went haywire. Turns out he was lipsynking ,if you will, and not playing a darn thing.
                              What would the term for that be? instrumentsynking?????
                              I'm still not sure if was part of his shtick or not.
                              INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
                              Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

If this doesn't cheer you up, at least for a few minutes, your hopeless.
                                http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...1823497745429#

Comment

Working...
                                X