X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think I'm getting burned out.

Last edited by Tyman; 02-22-2010, 08:36 PM.
    Anyone can tear a man down, few can build one up.

Re: I think I'm getting burned out.

It happens in spurts.

I bet at this very moment this is what you're thinking:

It's 4 o'clock, you're counting down the hours before you go to bed and you know your night's sleep dictates how your tomorrow will go. Maybe a hard job on the books, workin' for da man.

The paycheck on friday lasted as long as a good meal and a huge fart on friday night, and the only rememberance of that is the vacancy of 20's out of your wallet.

No pay raise in sight, the boss is expecting more and paying less these days.
    Your education level in the trade keeps growing but your pay certainly doesn't follow the same trending patterns.

You literally "do not" own your time on the weekends because you set the priority to monday morning, making it on time, forcing your body out of slumber to do something it rather not; work at such an early hour.

You take high value in little things, like good coffee, donut, cherished breakfast meal, and you've got this knack for cereal bars justifying its goodness cuz it says it's healthy...so you eat more.

Am I close?

Now think of Nicholas Cage the way I wrote that and how he speaks, and it will be clearer to you.

And what I wrote above is why I look forward to every single call, every hour of the day for the next plumbing job being self employed, because it affords my existence here on earth for a limited time. It also affords me cereal bars by the sh8tload at Sams cuz I get $5 off if I buy 3 cases.

I'm off to work to rebuild a toto toilet for a guy with explosive diarrhea. I'll post pics when I return.
    Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Originally posted by Tyman View Post
      I know I'm not alone when I say I'm getting burned out plumbing. What do you guys do to bring back the vigor?
      Play guitar.

Buy something I want.

Have an interest away from plumbing or whatever your occupation may be.

Look for some other challenge.

This will sound corny, but get some exercise. You think it may not be related, but it is.

J.C.

Comment

I burn out, then get really shitty about everything, then I will get a couple of good jobs and have a good couple of weeks and I am fine for the next 6 months. I notice my burnout comes when I get too wrapped up in work, whether it's too slow or too busy or the boss being unreasonable, or customers being a jerk. If I pray more and read the Bible more, it helps me.

Comment

Are you psychic or something? That is exactly how I feel.

Originally posted by DUNBAR PLUMBING View Post
          It happens in spurts.

I bet at this very moment this is what you're thinking:

It's 4 o'clock, you're counting down the hours before you go to bed and you know your night's sleep dictates how your tomorrow will go. Maybe a hard job on the books, workin' for da man. Yes, I'm doing a remodel for a 85 year old lady who enjoys busting my balls within the first two minutes of my arrival. It is impossible to make her happy and I know nothing I do will.

The paycheck on friday lasted as long as a good meal and a huge fart on friday night, and the only rememberance of that is the vacancy of 20's out of your wallet. Yep it's gone, did manage to save a few bucks and my weekly allowance of 20.00

No pay raise in sight, the boss is expecting more and paying less these days. If I hear "with this economy" one more time....
          Your education level in the trade keeps growing but your pay certainly doesn't follow the same trending patterns.The amount of knowledge needed to be a competent service plumber is astounding. I spent last weekend reading and prepping for the remodel, all of course off the clock.

You literally "do not" own your time on the weekends because you set the priority to monday morning, making it on time, forcing your body out of slumber to do something it rather not; work at such an early hour.Yep, I'm awake in bed at 3:30 in the morning including Sat. & Sun. just laying there pondering my ground hog day.

You take high value in little things, like good coffee, donut, cherished breakfast meal, and you've got this knack for cereal bars justifying its goodness cuz it says it's healthy...so you eat more. Not the cereal bars but I'm tearing up some doughnuts lately.

Am I close?
          Anyone can tear a man down, few can build one up.

Comment

I dont have enough work to burn me out.

Comment

I burn out slowly... I just sit there pondering how my life is spiraling out of control, and what I can do to fix it.
              Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
              A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
              Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
              Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

burnout can be a bear. for me it's an outside interest that brings all into perspective.

cranking my Reinhardt, grabbing the SG, and wailing away at some AC/DC
                or
                going SCUBA diving
                or
                anyother thing i can do to get the juices flowing to bring my head back to where it should be

remembering there are some things i have absolutely NO control over and try to not let them get me down

non illegitimi carborundum

steve
                In the never ending struggle to keep the water flowing.... The Poo Poo Cowboy rides again!!!

Comment

Shut off the phone.... I will actually get stressed when the phone rings.

I have this issue with turning down work so I book my time in 15 minute blocks, It never fails I get off schedule for some reason and the craziness begins...lol

I schedule all of my calls and do all of my billing while doing my scheduled jobs talk about a PITA.

We all have to take "me" time when we need it.

I have also found that having the right tool to do the job saves me alot of stress as well.

Comment

I get sick of plumbing very quick and if all I did was plumb I would most likely be done with this trade. Lucky for me I started drain cleaning. I happen to enjoy drain cleaning much more than plumbing.

next and most importantly. i know i'm one of the very few plumbers promoting the best plumbing product our trade has to offer. The only plumbing product left that will change a persons life. Well if that doesn't make a guy want to get out of bed in the morning nothing will.

Comment

Originally posted by Tyman
                      I've been thinking about jumping in my truck and taking a drive through Michigan by myself.
                      Pretty cool box. Take a drive. I bought an Sansa Fuze recently. (Ipod type player).

Often put it on and just zone....

J.C.

Comment

Make sure to stop here in Hamilton and say high on your way through. Bring a gun or 2 and we can do some shooting if the weather is O.K. (I'm a fare weather shooter now).

Comment

Originally posted by Tyman

I forgot to shut off the phone and it rang twice. It's driving me nuts, but I refuse to check it because I know if it is something I done I would hop in the van and go fix it.

It could be anything but one thing for sure it that nobody calls a plumber to say good job. Customers with caller ID are getting my number and calling me at odd hours, last week a guy called and wanted me to walk him through a water heater install.
                          Look man, you're an excellent plumber and person that wants to help others.

But you've got to learn to say no.

I've learned that the people have no concept of how many other people are calling with the same or worse problems than they "think" they have.

If you never say no they'll drive any person crazy. I got to the point where I would answer the mobile, not even look at it to see who was calling, and just say "What's broken"? I was right most of the time in that it was someone wanting something.

True. Good in that it brings income, but you've got to have some balance.

I've gotten better at politely saying no or turning it off for awhile. Your time & well being is as important as others.

J.C.

Comment

burned out

i'm just getting started

there were times with new construction when the project just went on forever. lots of the same old thing.

now with service, the jobs are so different, that it's something new a few times a day.

i got burned out on drums now i'm a sectional man and loving it

rick.
                            phoebe it is

Comment

I got burned out on soldering copper, now I'm a ProPress man!
                              And a Pex man too! It's been so long now since I've actually had to solder more than just a fitting or two. It seems sort of prehistoric for me!

Learn something new, it never gets old!

Comment

Working...
                              X