X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Help with questions with starting a drain cleaning business

If you are really serious. Come up with a good business plan. also come up with a equipment list.There are guys and gals here that will help you. Figure out what equipment you will need. What kind of parts to stock etc.
    The Bottom line still is machine does not make you a drain cleaner.
    No Matter what Rick will say about the k-60. Drain cleaners still have to have more than 1 piece of equipment

Comment

Hi BIGGARY, We missed you these past few days.
      ________
      VAPOR GENIE
      Last edited by TOPDAWG; 02-24-2011, 06:32 PM.
      Mike

Comment

You can probably get hold of one of these things. They are pretty cheap, do a good job and best of all you won't have to worry about depreciation come tax time.
        Attached Files
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by handybull View Post
          The Bottom line still is machine does not make you a drain cleaner.
          No Matter what Rick will say about the k-60. Drain cleaners still have to have more than 1 piece of equipment
          you beat me to it

what i would recommend for a good starter package that should do 90-95% of what you will encounter in residential work.

a k-60sp with both 7/8'' sectional cable and 5/8'' cable

a k-39 with 5/16'' cable for the interior drains like tubs and 1.5'' showers. 2'' drain and removed traps, the 5/8'' or your 3/8'' drum will work fine.

figure about $2500 for new equipment and that will be a good start. along with the basic hand tools you probably already have as a g.c.

the biggest problem i see is that you don't have the plumbing skills or knowledge that is needed to safely and proficiently do drain cleaning. some as you know is pretty basic and some is much more than just running a cable down a drain.
          start off with a small shop owner to learn the trade of drain cleaning. maybe 6 months to 1 year, you might have the basics, but it takes years to learn the skills that we need on a daily basis. having a good working knowledge of plumbing is always a real plus

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by Alberto01
            Drain cleaning could seem like a lot of work. A clogged sink can be very annoying. It can cause interruptions with the normal flow of kitchen chores and must be avoided at all times. Some forms of drains could be fixed immediately while some would require more time. Professional help is needed for drains that need more cleaning.
            I was thinking the same thing. What do you do when you can't clear a drain for some reason? Could need a different cable, cutter, could be going in the wrong direction (up), could be as simple as spending more time on a stubborn grease line...point it you won't know what to do.

What do you do when a cable is stuck or broken off in the drain? Cut your losses (literally leave the cable) and run? Then where would you be with your one piece of equipment down?

That hundred footer would probably be real useful in a septic tank too

Ever been snakebit?

Not having the plumbing or even drain cleaning background I imagine you won't have other plumbers to call for advice or help either.

I just don't think it's a good idea till you spend some time with an experienced guy who can teach you the ropes, this also would help you build relationships and have someone to fall back on if you need help.

Comment

try working for a plumbing shop and learn all you can first,cleaning drains involves more than just shoving a cable down a drain.

Comment

Working...
              X