X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with questions with starting a drain cleaning business

Ok take it easy on me. I have done general contracting since high school. I was looking for a low cost start up to do. I have been given a 100 ft drum pipe snake and was thinking of going out on my own. I figured I would start part time and keep my job until I generated enough business.

I would only want to do basic sink, shower and bathroom faucets that are plugged up to start with since I only have the equipment to do small drains.

I have cleared a few drains in the past with this machine with no problems but I am worried I could encounter some damage on occasion. Does this happen often snaking sink/shower drains? I want to be prepared.

Is it even feasable for a guy with little experience to be successful doing only small drains?

I am just tired and underpaid. looking for my own thing.

Thanks for your feedback

Joe

Re: Help with questions with starting a drain cleaning business

Your not going to be able to do much with just snaking sink and tub drains. That's not much a of a business and your not going to make money doing that. I am not trying to be mean that's just the reality of what your suggesting. If your going to do this as a business you will need your license, insurance, more equipment and at least a truck. You need to diversify what you offer your customers snaking small drains is not going to cut it. Also what if you do break the pipe or run into something where you need a plumber. You will have to hand the job over to a plumber. If it was me I would go get some experience with an outfit for a few years or better yet become an apprentice.
    Last edited by DanLawrence; 01-12-2010, 05:13 PM.

Comment

I was just thinking that since roto rooter charges 200 for a drain that i might be able to clear them a bit cheaper. also by specializing in only small drains i would not be under the same time constraints as the big guys. Is it that there really arent a lot of sinks and tubs that need cleared?

Comment

One other thing I understand where your coming from I have been there but taking short cuts with that much risk is not going to help you.

Comment

I have a truck and realise i need insurance. Just not enough biz doing small drains?

Comment

small drains are about 5% of my business. main lines, laterals, toilets, and cameraing make up the other 95%. the last kitchen sink i did was 3 weeks ago, the last lavatory was aver 2 months ago and the last showers/tubs were 5 in the last 3 months. so fat this year i've done 14 big lines. some from COs and some from the closet bend

good luck with your venture but it's gonna be an uphilll battle.

steve
            In the never ending struggle to keep the water flowing.... The Poo Poo Cowboy rides again!!!

Comment

I suggest you do some more research on this site.
              http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30277 This is one thread on the exact same topic that you are considering.
              Also you are not going to be any use to potential customers with just one snake. I will assume that the 100 footer that you have is 3/8. what are you going to do with that if you have to run a tub drain?

The Idea that everyone thanks that drain cleaning is easy is Bullshlt. Just because you have a " snake" and some tools does not make you a drain cleaner. hell in my opinion it doesn't even make you " Harry the Homeowner"

Drain cleaning is an art that takes time just like every art to master. Drain cleaning also takes equipment. Which is expensive. I will wish you luck with what ever you decide to do

Comment

Originally posted by handybull View Post
                I suggest you do some more research on this site.
                http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30277 This is one thread on the exact same topic that you are considering.
                Also you are not going to be any use to potential customers with just one snake. I will assume that the 100 footer that you have is 3/8. what are you going to do with that if you have to run a tub drain?

The Idea that everyone thanks that drain cleaning is easy is Bullshlt. Just because you have a " snake" and some tools does not make you a drain cleaner. hell in my opinion it doesn't even make you " Harry the Homeowner"

Drain cleaning is an art that takes time just like every art to master. Drain cleaning also takes equipment. Which is expensive. I will wish you luck with what ever you decide to do
                Yes, as handybull said, it becomes an art. But you also have to understand plbg. and drain layouts to figure out what's the 1st step.
                Just because the sink, or bathtub is full of water, don't always mean it's the sink or the bathtub, that is the problem.
                Very few of my calls are small drains either. I usually clean out the small drains when the customer says those 3 magic words, "WHILE YOUR HERE".

Comment

"while your here" have got to be the 3 most evil words a plumber can ever hear customers don't understand u already work daylight to darkthirty and already have ur day planned out much less making time 4 emergencies

Comment

Originally posted by joe_llama View Post
                    I was looking for a low cost start up to do.
                    Joe
                    Have you considered mowing lawns? Start with a small mower and over time work your way up to land scaping with a full crew.

If your lookin' for cheap start up, believe me Drain Cleaning is not what your lookin' for.

And just when you think you have everything you need, friggin Josh comes out with something else that you just have to have. COME ON JOSH, enough already. Take a vacation or something. I've had to revise my wish list seven times in the last year
                    INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
                    Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Originally posted by Gene Bickford View Post
                      Have you considered mowing lawns? Start with a small mower and over time work your way up to land scaping with a full crew.

If your lookin' for cheap start up, believe me Drain Cleaning is not what your lookin' for.

And just when you think you have everything you need, friggin Josh comes out with something else that you just have to have. COME ON JOSH, enough already. Take a vacation or something. I've had to revise my wish list seven times in the last year

Comment

Originally posted by joe_llama View Post
                        Ok take it easy on me. I have done general contracting since high school. I was looking for a low cost start up to do. I have been given a 100 ft drum pipe snake and was thinking of going out on my own. I figured I would start part time and keep my job until I generated enough business.

I would only want to do basic sink, shower and bathroom faucets that are plugged up to start with since I only have the equipment to do small drains.

I have cleared a few drains in the past with this machine with no problems but I am worried I could encounter some damage on occasion. Does this happen often snaking sink/shower drains? I want to be prepared.

Is it even feasable for a guy with little experience to be successful doing only small drains?

I am just tired and underpaid. looking for my own thing.

Thanks for your feedback

Joe
                        BigAl is that you?

Comment

Originally posted by OkieBill View Post
                          BigAl is that you?
                          I was wondering that myself, but I figured I'd bite for now as the writing styles are a bit different.

It's also quite possible that BigAl has multiple personalties that even he/she can't control, giving him/her the ability to change his/her writing style without even knowing it.
                          INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
                          Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

I do clean out lots of small drains kits , lavs & tubs every month its a big part of my business..But i don't Carry in 100 ft of cable in the house to do the work...You will need a few machines..
                            Plan on spending more on maintenance for your small drain machine, than your sewer machine

Comment

I think if you had it in your head to start a drain cleaning business you should get a job at moto scooter, do the training (which will teach you some bad ways) but you would get your feet wet lol. And could decide if drain cleaning was for you. If you just are determined to start a business start a drain camera business lots of guys just do that only.
                              Seattle Drain Service

Comment

Working...
                              X