X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unlicensed Plumber

I have always wondered why the media and many others refer to some of the DIY's as "unlicensed plumbers". WTF is an unlicensed plumber? I would define that as, every human being with a heartbeat, except licensed plumbers.
    We recently had in our local paper, a story about an "unlicensed plumber" who was living with this rich couple, and this guy killed the wife.The story even said that the state has no record of this guy having a plumbing license. So he is a Handyman at best. But all the stories referred to him as an "unlicensed plumber".

Also remember "Joe the unlicensed plumber" who was commonly known as "Joe the plumber" I never hear of "The unlicensed electrician", or "The unlicensed carpenter", or "The unlicensed doctor".
    In fact I consider myself an " unlicensed doctor".

So all you history guys out there let me know where and who made this $hit up.

Re: Unlicensed Plumber

Can I sell you a hot water heater?

They just put 3 guys in jail in N.C. for plumbing without a license and contempt of court.

2 for 30 days.
    1 for 45 days and a fine.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post

They just put 3 guys in jail in N.C. for plumbing without a license and contempt of court.

2 for 30 days.

J.C.
      What did they do to get jail time?
      ________
      Weed tracker
      Last edited by TOPDAWG; 02-24-2011, 06:32 PM.
      Mike

Comment

Used the wrong wrench.

There is no law that I'm aware of that can jail you for plumbing without a license in N.C.

You can be warned, notified, and given a summons to appear in court however. If you do not show up, the judge will issue a bench warrant typically with days jail time attached and a possible fine.

So any incarceration would be considered a failure to appear.

Happens several times throughout the year.

J.C.

Comment

Why unlicensed plumber? Because plumbing, unlike electrical or contracting, is a profession. A licensed profession. Like Doctors and lawyers. A very old profession. A profession that has single handedly raised the standard of health in the entire world. A profession that is responsible for ridding most nations of dreaded diseases that killed and sickened millions for generations. Look at it this way. An unlicensed electrician screws something up and a few people may get hurt or killed. AN unlicensed plumber screws something up and an entire neighborhood or worse can be effected. So some folks still take most unkindly to unlicensed plumbers. I am one of those folks.
          sigpic

Comment

So, JC, you make a few installations that may be hazardous to human life and you risk "be warned, notified, and given a summons to appear in court".
            But since there "is no law that I'm aware of that can jail you for plumbing without a license in N.C.", you show up in court and all is forgiven?
            Miss a court date, and waste a little judicial time and you'll wind up in the hoosegow.
            Makes perfect sense to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Plumbus View Post
              So, JC, you make a few installations that may be hazardous to human life and you risk "be warned, notified, and given a summons to appear in court".
              But since there "is no law that I'm aware of that can jail you for plumbing without a license in N.C.", you show up in court and all is forgiven?
              Miss a court date, and waste a little judicial time and you'll wind up in the hoosegow.
              Makes perfect sense to me.
              I didn't make the rules. Typically nothing more is done than a warning & fine. Repeat offenders that are caught move up in the punishment to fines & possible time.

Failure to appear gets the worst action though.

What's been done where you're located to offenders?

Thanks.

J.C.

Comment

No license no problem in our area I had a plumbing inspector tell me that if all he did was service and small remodel jobs that he would not pay for a license or permits. In Ohio they cant stop someone from making a living and the health departments cant ask for license to register.
                ________
                Mercedes-Benz Om616 History
                Last edited by TOPDAWG; 02-24-2011, 06:32 PM.
                Mike

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                  Why unlicensed plumber? Because plumbing, unlike electrical or contracting, is a profession. A licensed profession. Like Doctors and lawyers. A very old profession. A profession that has single handedly raised the standard of health in the entire world. A profession that is responsible for ridding most nations of dreaded diseases that killed and sickened millions for generations. Look at it this way. An unlicensed electrician screws something up and a few people may get hurt or killed. AN unlicensed plumber screws something up and an entire neighborhood or worse can be effected. So some folks still take most unkindly to unlicensed plumbers. I am one of those folks.
                  I sure hope your arm heals fast. Must have hurt something terrible swinging at your back that hard.

Comment

My turn, plumbing w/o a license is a crime, but some dick can weld a trailer up and kill someone and no consequence. I just wish being able to call yourself a PROFESSIONAL WELDER, was the same as Plumber or Electrician.

Comment

On a side note in order for me to weld gas or steam piping I need a licensed plumber to "supervise" me doing the job, yet I am the guy with the ticket.

Comment

Originally posted by TozziWelding View Post
                        On a side note in order for me to weld gas or steam piping I need a licensed plumber to "supervise" me doing the job, yet I am the guy with the ticket.
                        Worked with welders many times. This was not a dig at you or any other profression. When I did work with the welder, I told him where I wanted the pipe to end up, and after that, the welder called the shots.
                        My father use to tell me that a plumber- welder would be the ultimate. But I never liked welding. I do have alot of respect though for pipe welders, that is definitely an art.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post

2 for 30 days.

J.C.
                          I just priced a "hot water heater" tonight for a new homeowner that just can't get used to the "variably random adjusting hot water" feature of the shower.

Supplemental electric in tandem off a boiler tankless, which, as NHMaster will agree, is crap, crap, crappity crap.

Comment

Originally posted by Pipestone Kid View Post
                            I sure hope your arm heals fast. Must have hurt something terrible swinging at your back that hard.
                            I agree, plumbers should have no pride in their vocation, as a retired plumber, your opinion is respected.

Comment

In most states that require a plumbing license, plumbing without one is a misdemeanor or a felony. That your plumbing board or legislature does not want to enforce the law is the real crime. And, unless you as a group do something the abuse will continue. Call or write your state rep, governor, plumbing board atty general.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X