Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Copper Pipe Repair-since ya'll like pics

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Copper Pipe Repair-since ya'll like pics

    Here are some photos of a repair I made a couple of years ago.
    This is in a poolhouse bathroom behind the toilet. In pics 1 and 3 you'll see the service coming through the slab left of the 2"' PVC.
    To the right of where the nail is embedded is a tee which feeds an outside faucet and an outside shower. There is a stud just to the right of that tee.
    I cut a 3/4" copper coupling with my dremel longitudinal just past the halfway point so it snapped on the pipe.
    Attached Files
    "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

  • #2
    Re: Copper Pipe Repair-since ya'll like pics

    That's tight. Amazing they hold like that. Good patch too.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Copper Pipe Repair-since ya'll like pics

      that is cheating for sure!!

      good patch job and good pics also.

      G3

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Copper Pipe Repair-since ya'll like pics

        Originally posted by G3sprinklers View Post
        that is cheating for sure!!

        good patch job and good pics also.

        G3
        I only cheat when I have too.
        "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Copper Pipe Repair-since ya'll like pics

          Nice patch Slim

          Would a drop of Silver brazing rod on the nail hole saved you any time over a patch?

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Copper Pipe Repair-since ya'll like pics

            i have seen nails in pipe go a year easy without leaking. it doesn't seem possible

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Copper Pipe Repair-since ya'll like pics

              That's a great trick, its almost like a permanent band aid for the pipe.
              I have only used it once and it has held for 18 months and still no problem.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Copper Pipe Repair-since ya'll like pics

                Originally posted by OkieBill View Post
                Nice patch Slim

                Would a drop of Silver brazing rod on the nail hole saved you any time over a patch?
                I don't know, is the short answer. I'll let you try it first.

                I vetted this patch in my garage first. I tried different circumferences and soldered them on the pipe and then removed them to see if the solder flowed over the whole area. It did.

                Of course the irrigation industry has pvc saddle tees that are similar in principle.
                "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Copper Pipe Repair-since ya'll like pics

                  Originally posted by SlimTim View Post
                  I don't know, is the short answer. I'll let you try it first.

                  I vetted this patch in my garage first. I tried different circumferences and soldered them on the pipe and then removed them to see if the solder flowed over the whole area. It did.

                  Of course the irrigation industry has pvc saddle tees that are similar in principle.

                  I have used silver solder (brazing) to repair high and low pressure refigerant line leaks (40-300 psi) with no problems. For a nail hole a map gas torch will get the spot hot enough so you would not need a special torch rig (if you dont have an Air / Acetylene Rig).

                  I have been told that the silver braze is actually stronger then the copper pipe itself

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Copper Pipe Repair-since ya'll like pics

                    Good to know. I've always used a slip coupling or two.

                    Thanks.

                    J.C.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Copper Pipe Repair-since ya'll like pics

                      Originally posted by OkieBill View Post
                      I have used silver solder (brazing) to repair high and low pressure refigerant line leaks (40-300 psi) with no problems. For a nail hole a map gas torch will get the spot hot enough so you would not need a special torch rig (if you dont have an Air / Acetylene Rig).

                      I have been told that the silver braze is actually stronger then the copper pipe itself
                      Bill

                      For pinhole a #2 oxy acetylene tip is my choice. A Mapp/Propane torch is a little more difficult to use (for me anyway). Just doesn't concentrate the heat around the hole like oxy/acetylene does.

                      It is.

                      James

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Copper Pipe Repair-since ya'll like pics

                        Originally posted by SlimTim View Post
                        Here are some photos of a repair I made a couple of years ago.
                        This is in a poolhouse bathroom behind the toilet. In pics 1 and 3 you'll see the service coming through the slab left of the 2"' PVC.
                        To the right of where the nail is embedded is a tee which feeds an outside faucet and an outside shower. There is a stud just to the right of that tee.
                        I cut a 3/4" copper coupling with my dremel longitudinal just past the halfway point so it snapped on the pipe.
                        I like that patch. Never done one ,will try it someday
                        I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Copper Pipe Repair-since ya'll like pics

                          The hole was on the backside of the copper with 1/2" clearance to the back wall. It was about 1/4" to the tee on the left and 2-1/2" to the tee on the right.
                          Would you be able to put a dab of silver solder on the hole in this location without compromising the tee? I'm just asking. I have only watched people silver solder a/c lines.
                          I couldn't see any way or space to cut the pipe and use a slip coupling either.
                          I wrapped the tees in wet rags and used a solder shield on the back wall and a small acetylene tip.
                          I'm not proud of the messy solder job but I was happy as hell it took.
                          "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Copper Pipe Repair-since ya'll like pics

                            Originally posted by SlimTim View Post
                            The hole was on the backside of the copper with 1/2" clearance to the back wall. It was about 1/4" to the tee on the left and 2-1/2" to the tee on the right.
                            Would you be able to put a dab of silver solder on the hole in this location without compromising the tee? I'm just asking. I have only watched people silver solder a/c lines.
                            I couldn't see any way or space to cut the pipe and use a slip coupling either.
                            I wrapped the tees in wet rags and used a solder shield on the back wall and a small acetylene tip.
                            I'm not proud of the messy solder job but I was happy as hell it took.
                            You are right Slim, it would be really easy to cook the soft solder joints on that Tee if you were not really careful with your heat, another nice thing about silver brazing rod is that you can lay it right over soft solder if you have too... I have found that with a nail hole and a small tip when you direct the heat down into the hole the edges of the puncture will glow almost immediately and take the braze.

                            Only reason I mentioned it was some plumbers that do not do HVAC may never get exposed to Silver Brazing rod

                            A great Repair SlimTim

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X