Pipe Rack ideas needed

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Pipe Rack ideas needed

as for my vans i build a deck. 19/32 plywood bottom 2x6 boards and 23/32 top
    ends up at 7" apx and i can get full 10' of pipe gas and yard tools and have room for my ramps

then re mount the shelving onto the deck. i just finished my newest truck. it works well for me

i took a few pics when i built it , i thought i would share them.

the final pic is the rough weather i had to build it in. 1/08/10
    Attached Files
    Last edited by ranman; 01-18-2010, 06:58 PM.

Comment

How do you get your 7500 down?
      Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
        How do you get your 7500 down?

I`m huge!!

i have a set of ramps i use. i ordered a 12 volt wench to pull it up and lower it on the ramps for me. work smart not hard.

Comment

I have never been able to work out of a cargo type van. They don't have enough room. I have had a 12' step van for the past 15yrs, and had a 14' step van before that, when I worked for my family's business. I was the only one that had a step van out of 10 trucks.
          I will take some pictures of my setup and post them. I try to stock alot of things so I don't have to go to supply house, { disposals, sump pumps, faucets, shower valves,cop pipe & ftgs, black pipe & ftgs, pvc pipe & ftgs & on & on}. Depends on what type of work you do too, I guess. I don't get good gas mileage, but I have what I need when I get to job.
          One thing I have is a note pad mounted to shelf at very back of truck, with a pencil holder, and a pencil sharpener. When I get something out of the truck that I need to restock, I write it down, faithfully, right then & there. Otherwise I forget. It only takes 2 seconds. I've been called anal by my helpers, but nothing ticks me off more than not having something I should of had.

IT IS CHEAPER TO HAVE 10 TOO MANY THAN 1 SHORT!

Comment

After a year of service I have rarely found the need to have 10 footers readily available.The cargo van currently does not afford the space sacrifice.No roof rack,I wanted to drive into sub-terranean parking garages
            Now if I've put a bid in and won a job(plans or prewalk) I'll either have the order delivered or make do wth duct tape,bailing wire and sissel twine.

If one's got the room and find you can justify dragging excess material around go for it.
            My garage is my stockroom and I'm at the supply house at least twice a week,often more.
            Gas prices will rise.Remember when this forum was tripping all over itself trying to get gas in the tank.Running thin works for me.
            Now the plumber I worked with had a huge Kodiak and wanted to stock thousands of dollars of catridges and stems for the service calls on the way home from the construction site.I wonder how he is doing now that there has been a year of dead wood.

Trick is to carry what your company needs.Not carrying around a bunch of crap your constantly tripping over,moving or banging your head on.

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
              After a year of service I have rarely found the need to have 10 footers readily available.The cargo van currently does not afford the space sacrifice.No roof rack,I wanted to drive into sub-terranean parking garages
              Now if I've put a bid in and won a job(plans or prewalk) I'll either have the order delivered or make do wth duct tape,bailing wire and sissel twine.

If one's got the room and find you can justify dragging excess material around go for it.
              My garage is my stockroom and I'm at the supply house at least twice a week,often more.
              Gas prices will rise.Remember when this forum was tripping all over itself trying to get gas in the tank.Running thin works for me.
              Now the plumber I worked with had a huge Kodiak and wanted to stock thousands of dollars of catridges and stems for the service calls on the way home from the construction site.I wonder how he is doing now that there has been a year of dead wood.

Trick is to carry what your company needs.Not carrying around a bunch of crap your constantly tripping over,moving or banging your head on.
              I agree with you on carrying around excess materials, but I don't do these calls on the way home from constuction sites. I"m a 1 man show right now, and never been happier, so I do these little jobs for a living.
              I'm also not tripping over excess materials, everything in my truck is neatly organized {on most days} and I can stand up inside.
              I'm not saying your wrong, just saying what works for me.
              The economy around here is so bad there is no constuction site to come home from anyway.
              Trouble is with service calls, you never can anticipate what you will need, so you have to expect the unexpected, and get in and out of job, in a reasonable amount of time if you want to make any $$$. Went to a call yesterday, that customer said toilet above was leaking. Turned out to be plastic ice maker line on adjacent side of wall had a pinhole in it, & was connected up to a saddle valve, that did not shut off. Had to install new shut off valve with WHA and new copper supply line to fridge. Easy money maker because I had materials on hand. So what little extra I pay for gas, is no big deal.
              If your doing bigger jobs then it definitely is smarter to have materials delivered to job site, as you need. Thank you for your input.
              Trouble I run into also is, the day I need the materials, even common items, the wholesale house is out of.
              Last edited by Don the plumber; 01-20-2010, 01:05 PM.

Comment

I built my cabinets to fit in my 97 3500 savana
                They are starting to show their age
                Pipe

I can store 9"6" pieces of pipe in the pipe slot
                wrenches and treading gear go in the back drawers

I store nipples and small every day hand tools in the side drawers.
                The large cabinet holds my delta parts and other parts i use every day
                Long lengths of pipe go on my top rack with my ladder

Comment

Originally posted by Don the plumber View Post
                  I agree with you on carrying around excess materials, but I don't do these calls on the way home from constuction sites. I"m a 1 man show right now, and never been happier, so I do these little jobs for a living.
                  I'm also not tripping over excess materials, everything in my truck is neatly organized {on most days} and I can stand up inside.
                  I'm not saying your wrong, just saying what works for me.
                  The economy around here is so bad there is no constuction site to come home from anyway.
                  Trouble is with service calls, you never can anticipate what you will need, so you have to expect the unexpected, and get in and out of job, in a reasonable amount of time if you want to make any $$$. Went to a call yesterday, that customer said toilet above was leaking. Turned out to be plastic ice maker line on adjacent side of wall had a pinhole in it, & was connected up to a saddle valve, that did not shut off. Had to install new shut off valve with WHA and new copper supply line to fridge. Easy money maker because I had materials on hand. So what little extra I pay for gas, is no big deal.
                  If your doing bigger jobs then it definitely is smarter to have materials delivered to job site, as you need. Thank you for your input.
                  Trouble I run into also is, the day I need the materials, even common items, the wholesale house is out of.
                  Don,
                  As I read your post I got the feeling it was sort of a response to my previous post being a judgment of your business practice.I assure you this is not the case.
                  My first post on this thread just landed after yours.

I have a cargo van,hate it.Nowhere near the space I need.
                  K-60 with full compliment,full range power tools(Skilsaw/13A grinder/nailgun),propress,drainage fttngs,copper/pvc fttgs through 2"
                  Ideal rig would be a 9500lb ford cutaway.The outside boxes would save the rifling through everything.

I imagine I could take the construction stuff off.Everytime I do I end up in a specialized situation and need the rare tool I left in the garage.And I dislike handyman looking work,"Oh,look what the plumber did".

I'm sure your truck layout works great for you.

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                    Don,
                    As I read your post I got the feeling it was sort of a response to my previous post being a judgment of your business practice.I assure you this is not the case.
                    My first post on this thread just landed after yours.

I have a cargo van,hate it.Nowhere near the space I need.
                    K-60 with full compliment,full range power tools(Skilsaw/13A grinder/nailgun),propress,drainage fttngs,copper/pvc fttgs through 2"
                    Ideal rig would be a 9500lb ford cutaway.The outside boxes would save the rifling through everything.

I imagine I could take the construction stuff off.Everytime I do I end up in a specialized situation and need the rare tool I left in the garage.And I dislike handyman looking work,"Oh,look what the plumber did".

I'm sure your truck layout works great for you.
                    I didn't take any offense to your comments. I like hearing everyones opinion, and how it works for them, because we all do the same trade, yet very different types of work. I always keep an open mind, and highly respect other tradesmen, especially plumbers, ideas or thoughts.
                    I learned early on, that no-one knows your business like you, and only you can make the crucial decisions.
                    Since I'm a 1 man show, I can go from no work to overwhelmed in no time. I used to share all my problems with close friends, but after hearing their suggested fixes, I figured out they simply don't get it, and never will. Not that they are dumb, they just don't live it everyday, & until you do live this trade everyday you never will get it. Thats why I like your guys thoughts & opinions, even if it is as simple as how you set up your trucks.
                    The advice I get most from non-business, or non-tradesman is " why don't you just hire people to do the work for you?" My response is always, "thats a great idea, I can't believe after doing this everyday for more than 30yrs, that I never thought of that. You are a genius." LOL

Comment

I didn't take any offense to your comments. I like hearing everyones opinion, and how it works for them, because we all do the same trade, yet very different types of work. I always keep an open mind, and highly respect other tradesmen, especially plumbers, ideas or thoughts.
                      I learned early on, that no-one knows your business like you, and only you can make the crucial decisions.
                      Since I'm a 1 man show, I can go from no work to overwhelmed in no time. I used to share all my problems with close friends, but after hearing their suggested fixes, I figured out they simply don't get it, and never will. Not that they are dumb, they just don't live it everyday, & until you do live this trade everyday you never will get it. Thats why I like your guys thoughts & opinions, even if it is as simple as how you set up your trucks.
                      The advice I get most from non-business, or non-tradesman is " why don't you just hire people to do the work for you?" My response is always, "thats a great idea, I can't believe after doing this everyday for more than 30yrs, that I never thought of that. You are a genius." LOL
                      That's as much work or more than just doing it yourself! I've got employee's and it's not always fun.
                      www.ClinkscalesSeptic.com

Comment

Here are a few pictures of my truck setup. This truck is approx 6yrs old. I usually get it exactly the way I like, and then it rusts out. I like alot of drawers, which I think is easier to keep organized. All the drawers are 18" deep and I have 210 of them.. I also have a 2'-4'-6' & 8' ladders stored on the inside.I had all the shelves custom made, & although they are heavy, they last a life time. Have a small Ridgid K-50 I keep on truck all the time, but I only bring big sewer cleaner when needed.
                        Hope the pictures turn out, this is my first time doing this.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Ok if your not board yet here are a few more. I think I would like to have a few more drawers in my next truck.
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by Don the plumber; 01-21-2010, 02:48 PM.

Comment

Did i read that you go around and deliver parts to other plumbers..LOL

Comment

Ok if your not board yet here are a few more. I think I would like to have a few more drawers in my next truck.
                              Don, I like the look and size of that shopvac. I think it might make sense in my truck. What brand is it? More importantly does it suck, or does it REALLY suck?

btw: I store my 10' pipe about 12" off the deck on the driver side (sliding door is in the way on the passenger side). This allows me to store things on the bottom and the pipe is at a height I can just grab and go from the back. I wish I had more room so I could store short pieces vertically. As with any finite space, there's always more stuff I could fit in there then there's actually room for.

I would show pictures of my bin setup but I don't want to make anyone envious.
                              Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

dons set up is the shizznit i have an f 350 4 x 4 with an eleven ft utility body and i'm a slob my dad would be so happy he would cry if my truck looked like yours

Comment

Working...
                                X