X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pipe Rack ideas needed

This is for my stepvan which needs a pipe rack on the inside. My super smart plumber friend with great personality made a good point of just cutting the pipe into 5' lengths and tucking them away in the corner. I only do service so I can see his point and am leaning towards that way. I still have my old 6" pipe case and was thinking of suspending that from the inside roof. Any other ideas?
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Re: Pipe Rack ideas needed

Rack? You don't need no rack. You've got "plenty of room, plenty...."

J.C.

Comment

I cut sections of 3" PVC and attached them to the inside roof ...

I then slide Steel/Copper/CPVC /Pex lengthwise into the PVC sections (Sorry I can't find a pic but will take one tomorrow if you want to see)

If I need to carry full sticks I can put them on the rack on top but I work mostly out of my "underside roofrack" as it hass all the small pieces (2'-6') of just about any material I could use Plumbing / HVAC wise.

Bill

Comment

I have no original ideas that you probably haven't thought of already.

Clamp your 6" one up in the open corner of the door space maybe as high and to one side as possible.

J.C.

Comment

That's the problem JC. With all that room, I got too many choices. One thing I thought about was securing the 6" pipe to the roof with a bar. The other end would be by the door and could go up and down with postive stops. This way, if I need some pipe, I lower the end by the door, slide the pipe out and lift the pipe back in place when done. Here's a pic of the inside. I want to place the pipe above the shelf on the roof.
          Attached Files
          Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Looking really nice. Have you taken on a trip or two yet? Seen how things ride?

What's the interior length?

You're gonna' lose that tape measure....

J.C.

Comment

Have You gone on line to American Van and Equipment ? Of course They'll send You out a catalog. I'd copy and start Migging Allum. Myself
              I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

What's the other side look like? Just thinking some....

J.C.

Comment

I'll email you the pics. The pic was taken when I first started working on it. It more or less now done but I need some hold downs. I can find them in a marine store but they cost 10$ cause they're SS. Took her out today and loved it. Drove real well and there was everything I needed. Just need to go to the supply house and do a big stock purchase. Got the crane all done and working. It came out pretty decent.

I saw American Van and was thinking of getting their vertical pipe rack amongst some other stuff. Just so much space, choices...choices....
                  Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

I kind of want to tell you to mount it on top at the drivers side corner. (Your 6" storage pipe).

A couple of reasons.

1) Although you have lots of room currently, I'm thinking it won't always be that way and the thing mounted inside might get in the way at some point. Loading things you haven't thought of or removing things off of racks.

2) Mounted at the corner of the drivers side it is more noticeable to you and might keep you from damaging it and making sure it's closed.

What I'm thinking tonight.

J.C.

Comment

Re: Pipe Rack ideas needed. Don't re invent the wheel!

Gear, next time you see a road wrencher side of the road , STOP ! road wrencher is a truck Mech with welder . truck crane ect. Ask where the TRUCK junk yards are. You'll find Great
                      Accessories for Your new rig. Also asy the utility co. Guys where You can get a salvaged
                      swing down Ladder rack all the phone and comm. Cast trucks have. Keep asking these folks till You score one. Then fab it with longer throw and handles so it swings down lower.
                      Dam I wish You lived in N. CA. . We'd fab. it together, and You'd learn welding.
                      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

ben, i keep my 10' lengths high and on the drivers side since i have a sliding door on the passenger side.

but you could also store it under the bottom shelf on the floor. no one says you need everything inside of a 6'' pipe. that actual takes up a lot of room and is hard to keep sliding pipe in and out of each other.

the largest pipe you need is 4'' abs on the truck. 4,3,2,1.5'' will easily slide into each other. copper can slide into the both the 1.5'' abs and a separate section of 3'' pretty nicely. if you can shove the pipe under the rack in at the floor/ wall it will take up little space. split it between both the driver and passenger side.

the 1/2 lengths/ cut offs i just stand up inside a 3'' pipe and bungee so it doesn't make music

rick.
                        phoebe it is

Comment

of course an outside fold away pipe carrier will solve your problems with 20-21' lengths.

this is the one i designed and made from stainless for my sprinter.

the arms are not shown, just the brackets. i need to see if i can find the photo or take some new ones.

rick.

front and rear brackets total of 3- less than 10' apart.

the stainless brackets with a 1/4'' pin and bushing to act as a stop and a 5/16'' nut for the swivel arms and screw knobs. stainless carriage bolts that just got a clear coat.

back of the bracket showing the 3 hidden tig welds and the 1/4'' pin used as a stop for the swivel arms.
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by PLUMBER RICK; 01-18-2010, 12:13 PM.
                          phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                            ben, i keep my 10' lengths high and on the drivers side since i have a sliding door on the passenger side.

but you could also store it under the bottom shelf on the floor. no one says you need everything inside of a 6'' pipe. that actual takes up a lot of room and is hard to keep sliding pipe in and out of each other.

the largest pipe you need is 4'' abs on the truck. 4,3,2,1.5'' will easily slide into each other. copper can slide into the both the 1.5'' abs and a separate section of 3'' pretty nicely. if you can shove the pipe under the rack in at the floor/ wall it will take up little space. split it between both the driver and passenger side.

the 1/2 lengths/ cut offs i just stand up inside a 3'' pipe and bungee so it doesn't make music

rick.
                            What about the wheel well?

We had outside racks on the passenger side, storage above the rack for up to ten foot lengths and vertical storage of shorter lengths in the back corner.

Mark
                            "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                              This is for my stepvan which needs a pipe rack on the inside. My super smart plumber friend with great personality made a good point of just cutting the pipe into 5' lengths and tucking them away in the corner. I only do service so I can see his point and am leaning towards that way. I still have my old 6" pipe case and was thinking of suspending that from the inside roof. Any other ideas?

Wow, I was really not reading yesterday...Sorry I missed that you already had the same idea

Comment

Working...
                              X