See this often?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• See this often?

Do any of you see this often? San-Fran you don't count.

This is like a once in a lifetime encounter for this area, so I had to grab the camera. I know of only two houses out of thousands done in DWV copper.

Thought it might be interesting to some.

J.C.
    Last edited by BobsPlumbing; 01-18-2010, 09:40 PM.

Re: See this often?

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
    Do any of you see this often? San-Fran you don't count.

This is like a once in a lifetime encounter for this area, so I had to grab the camera. I know of only two houses out of thousands done in DWV copper.

Thought it might be interesting to some.

J.C.
    There is not a lot of it here but there were several subdivisions built with copper DWV.

Mark
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

JC that had to be copper................that's outdoor plumbing

G3

Comment

We owned a 1930's Tudor that every inch of the piping was copper, a true thing of beauty. Great house with full oak trim and doors, but plaster on brick made it very expensive to heat and cool! Had to move into a newer house since this one wasn't in the right school district we wanted for the kids.

Comment

Very common in my area. Even more so closer to Chicago. I like copper, the venting systems corrode.

Comment

only time i've ever seen it is on indirect waste from a 3-comp. sink in a kitchen and a couple of urinal rough-ins inside big chases.

Comment

very common in my area-early 1960s

Comment

I see a couple a month in my area. It's mostly cast iron here with remodels and repair with pvc. I have noticed that they do corrode easy over time, not just the vents but the tops of the drains too from the gas. I like ripping it out, makes good scrap!

Comment

I have seen it on some houses in so. Calif. Areas

I lived in and managed a (8) eight unit apt. Building like that

in the LA. Area

all copper DWV from brass nipples behind the p-traps all the

way out to the street
                  JERRYMAC
                  E-MAILJERRYMAC777@GMAIL.COM
                  CALIF. LIC. PLBG,HEAT,DRAINS,ELECTRIC,WATER HEATER, BOILER, POOL AND SPA HEATER
                  FIRE SPRINKLER CONTRACTOR,
                  SINCE JAN. 1989

Comment

Worked in a house today with copper dwv in it.

Comment

There is a town called Parma that we ran Copper DWV until right around 1989 - 1990. It was cast iron under ground then Copper DWV then back to 4" cast through the roof.
                      ________
                      Buy Grinder
                      Last edited by TOPDAWG; 02-24-2011, 04:34 PM.
                      Mike

Comment

My house I currently live in has all copper DWV piping. Of course I have changed some of it, while remodeling, but I would say 50% of it is still in place. They put cast iron underground, and all copper above ground.
                        Still has an inspection approval sticker on the main stack, from 1967, that also says installed by local 98 plumbers. Been a long time since any union plumbers {other than side jobs} have plumbed any residential houses around here.

Comment

In North Riverside, where our shop is located, PVC is still not allowed even for residential, so lots of copper.

Very common in Chicago. Anything 2" and smaller is copper for DWV, though it's type M now. DWV (yellow markings) was outlawed in IL a ways back, though you still see a lot of it in homes built from early 70's to mid 80's. That stuff is so thin that you might as well have used flue pipe! The vents get extremely brittle.

Had a Dentist office on 2nd floor of an office building with over 150' of DWV on the vacuum system. We repiped as the line was turning into swiss cheese.
                          Last edited by Swade Plumbing; 01-19-2010, 03:18 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

Working...
                          X