Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Fun Install (2xNoritz)

Originally posted by Don the plumber View Post
    I'm a 1 man show too, so I know what you mean.
    Is the big no no, the size of the gas supply line? Looks like you fed both commercial heaters with 1 3/4 line. If that is true, is that enough?
    Now the only thing I would critique, was that I seen, what looked like an old 1-1/4 or 1-1/2 gate valve on the main supply. That thing would be gone, and new commercial ball valves installed on cold and hot mains if it were me.
    Very informative pictures. All the water heater jobs I get are usually in a basement. Looks like nice working conditions there.
    I hate burnt wood too. I own an electric solder gun, & use it all the time in tight places, and it works great. Says you can solder up to 2" on high heat, but I have never had to use it for anything bigger than 1".
    Don, You are correct, I plumbed the gas thinking that only one unit would ever run at a time. Noritz will load share so their is a chance of both units running at the same time (Thanks for the heads up Ron)

Length is about 10' and the line comes directly off of a 3" main I have been trying to talk myself out of changing out the connection and first section of pipe to 1" (between the two tankless units 500K BTU)

If I place a Magnahelic on each unit at full fire and do not see a pressure drop ( or at least the pressures stay in range) I would be OK right

That is the big issue but easily fixable
    Last edited by OkieBill; 01-18-2010, 11:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by OkieBill View Post
      Don, You are correct, I plumbed the gas thinking that only one unit would ever run at a time. Noritz will load share so their is a chance of both units running at the same time (Thanks for the heads up Ron)

Length is about 10' and the line comes directly off of a 3" main I have been trying to talk myself out of changing out the connection and first section of pipe to 1" (between the two tankless units 500K BTU)

That is the big issue but easily fixable
      I thought it was 1". Duhhhhh......

J.C.

Comment

I think SewerRatz had an important issue to about the expansion tanks. But I have to ask this question, if the heaters only fire up on flow, then how can themal expansion occurr? Not that I would eliminate the expansion tanks, but just don't see why they are that crucial,{ although it is crucial here if it caused that RPZ to dump}.
        Also, I don't think SewerRatz name does him justice, I think he should change his name to "Tankless Junkie". LOL
        Let us know what you end up doing with gas supply. Cutting a tee into a 3" gas line is no simple task, in my opinion.
        Last edited by Don the plumber; 01-19-2010, 08:24 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Don the plumber View Post
          I think SewerRatz had an important issue to about the expansion tanks. But I have to ask this question, if the heaters only fire up on flow, then how can themal expansion occurr? Not that I would eliminate the expansion tanks, but just don't see why they are that crucial,{ although it is crucial here if it caused that RPZ to dump}.
          Also, I don't think SewerRatz name does him justice, I think he should change his name to "Tankless Junkie". LOL
          Let us know what you end up doing with gas supply. Cutting a tee into a 3" gas line is no simple task, in my opinion.
          The joy of my doing plumbing is drain cleaning. I grew up around drains and sewer work in the City of Chicago. One of my fondest memories is when my father got his Goldack Locater. We lived on the second floor of a two flat. My dad had us hide the transmitter in the first floor unit, then he locate it. He taught me how to use the receiver. I was around 7 years old then. I still own that antique and I can locate a sewer within an inch of the transmitter. Rodding a main sewer is second nature to me as well.
          Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
          A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
          Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
          Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

i too would have said the unbalance of the inlet and outlet piping.

of course it makes no difference with only 1 heater running. but do the heaters communicate with each other and electronically balance the loads?

when i was doing dual raypacks and larrs domestic heaters, we had to keep everything even total lengths.

i use 2''x 10 mil tape on the unistrut / pipe.

check you gas sizing tables for the btu's and demand on 3/4'' x 10'

how did the temporary tankless get vented?

what is your maximum gpm with the 2 tankless? is there a return system. what type of building use is this? residential or commercial?

what nuked on the 100 gal. tank? leak or electronics. 1 year or 3 year warranty on that unit.

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
              i too would have said the unbalance of the inlet and outlet piping.

of course it makes no difference with only 1 heater running. but do the heaters communicate with each other and electronically balance the loads? ( The units switch lead /lag every eight hours but both will fire if the demand (gpm) requested is high enough)

when i was doing dual raypacks and larrs domestic heaters, we had to keep everything even total lengths.

i use 2''x 10 mil tape on the unistrut / pipe. (Good Idea)

check you gas sizing tables for the btu's and demand on 3/4'' x 10' ( I was 125K BTU short Thank goodness all I had to do was change out the 3"x 3/4" bell for a 3" x 1" and upsize the supply to the first branch.

how did the temporary tankless get vented? ( It would get wheeled to the door and fired up. I would go each night and disconnect it and reconnect it in the morning)

what is your maximum gpm with the 2 tankless? (18.6 GPM with an 80 degree delta) is there a return system ( no return). what type of building use is this? residential or commercial? (commercial / TGI Friday)

what nuked on the 100 gal. tank? leak or electronics (Leaker, American Standard would not cover the heater again (this one was a warranty replacement). 1 year or 3 year warranty on that unit ( The original unit was 3 years) .
              rick.
              I just hooked up a 380K BTU Noritz that by itself will pump out 13.2 GPM (it has 1" water connections) talk about some REALLY nice commercial equipment!

Bill

Comment

I can not find the post where I promised to post pics of a multi Tankless install. Here are some photos, not very good quality though camera in a cell phone is hard to use in a tight closet.
                First picture is of the closet view as you open the door. There are 3 heaters on the right with the control pad, and two on the left. Each heater has its own disconnect switch, and isolation valves. I get some more pictures of how the relief valve are piped. I am heading there in the morning to delime these units.

Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
                  The joy of my doing plumbing is drain cleaning. I grew up around drains and sewer work in the City of Chicago. One of my fondest memories is when my father got his Goldack Locater. We lived on the second floor of a two flat. My dad had us hide the transmitter in the first floor unit, then he locate it. He taught me how to use the receiver. I was around 7 years old then. I still own that antique and I can locate a sewer within an inch of the transmitter. Rodding a main sewer is second nature to me as well.
                  I don't care for cleaning sewers, but I reluctantly do alot of it. Mostly residential. It also leads to alot of work.
                  I'm running into alot of underground castiron piping that rots out, and either starts leaking & stinking, or gets clogged. Especially when they serve the kitchen sink. Those lead to some good $$$. The last time castiron was used underground around here was, minimum, 30 yrs ago.
                  I'd rather do plbg, anyday than clean out a sewer though.
                  So ok, You can keep your name.
                  Nice story about your father, I learned the trade from my father too. I knew I would be a plumber right from the start, because he always told me I was good for chit.

Comment

I remember I was on a job with my dad at a grade school clearing a slop sink in a janitors closet. A bunch of kids gathered around to watch us run the spartan 300 with the 1/2 drum on it. They where oohing and ahhing. So my dad turns to the kids and says to them all " See how dirty this work is, you better stay in school or you end up doing this kind of work too" A kid starts to cry, and my dad asks whats wrong, through his sobs he says" My dad is a plumber"

Comment

Working...
                    X