X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fun Install (2xNoritz)

I thought I would take pics of this one since I have never done a double commercial Noritz install before.

-The American Standard 100 Gallon Nuked after 2 years

- Installed a temp tankless (noritz) on wheels and started the install.

-Took me a few joints to get my soldering skills back up to speed (It has been a couple of seasons since I have soldered this much)

-Getting close to done (New 380 on the dolly to be made into a new temp unit in the morning)

- Gotta let the inspector see it before I go any further, I see a few faults and one pretty big one to work out in the morning (I'm not gonna tell I know you guys will find everything)

Re: Fun Install (2xNoritz)

Looks good. You're a brave man posting picks of your work.

How much total time do you have in it so far?
    Anyone can tear a man down, few can build one up.

Comment

15 hours and still have another 2 if I fix my big fault

--I don't mind the comments from fellow pros. We all have our own way of doing things and it only makes me a better plumber hearing the opinions of fellow Pros... I run a one man business so the only peer review I get is here

Comment

I myself don't like unions worth a darn on water.

Couple of pipes aren't parallel but that could be the camera angle.

I prefer to bring the shared incoming to the center of the supply pipe between the heaters. Does it matter on tankless?

Still looking for the thing you missed or did wrong.

J.C.

Comment

You keep a temporary tankless on hand?!? Not a bad idea I guess but I'm just too cheap.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
            I myself don't like unions worth a darn on water. I agree I should have probly left them out since I have the flush valves on the units.

Couple of pipes aren't parallel but that could be the camera angle. Agree, I had fits getting the relief line ran behind the backflow so the angle is out of kilter with the rest of the pipes.

I prefer to bring the shared incoming to the center of the supply pipe between the heaters. Does it matter on tankless? The shared incomming is between the two units (closer to the far unit) but I don't think it matters on an install of thes nature.

Still looking for the thing you missed or did wrong. (Not gonna tell)

J.C.
            Bill

Comment

And I know you have valves on the both heaters but I would have installed a sweat ball valve on the vertical incoming.

I'm a little nuts about some things like this I guess. Just been in so many situations where a valve you need doesn't work and there is not another one nearby.

Then the main one in the building doesn't work. Off to the street. Turn it off to find out the meter is shared with the laundry mat next door.

Hope I'm not making you mad as I find the easiest thing in the world is to find a way to improve on something. Why I don't like some inspectors.

The hard thing is working on that setup for 10 hours by yourself, having the phone ringing, making it look that good, and not burn the wood!

J.C.

Comment

Do they require a TXT there on tankless?

J.C.

Comment

There is a set of main valves out of the pictures on the 1 1/2" copper lines up high though a couple of sweat ball valves to isolate each heater aside from the Flush valves would not have been a bad idea.

Me mad. No way, Like I said you guys are my sole professional input besides the inspector

I hate Burnt wood!!!! Will not let it happen...

Comment

No TXT on a tankless ( I'm IPC / IMC) though their is one installed up high out of picture ( I will take a picture looking up so you don't think all of my answers are gonna be "Yea I did that but it is out of picture...LOL)
                    Last edited by OkieBill; 01-18-2010, 08:57 PM.

Comment

Any condensate?

J.C.

Comment

That's a nice clean install. I would have wrapped some tape around the copper where it touches the unistrut myself. As for the problem, are you talking about how close the gas line is to that receptacle? That does make it a little hard to use.

Comment

Agree, I have pieces of rubber gasket to place in the clamps to help prevent any dielectric corrosion issues... I never thought of using Electrical tape

There is an orange extension cord that comes up out of the slab ( lawn sprinkler) that will plug into that recept. I should have dropped the line down another inch or two and made it a non issue, I just wanted to use the existing piece of unistrut from the Backflow

Comment

Originally posted by OkieBill View Post
                            There is a set of main valves out of the pictures on the 1 1/2" copper lines up high though a couple of sweat ball valves to isolate each heater aside from the Flush valves would not have been a bad idea.

Me mad. No way, Like I said you guys are my sole professional input besides the inspector

I hate Burnt wood!!!! Will not let it happen...
                            I'm a 1 man show too, so I know what you mean.
                            Is the big no no, the size of the gas supply line? Looks like you fed both commercial heaters with 1 3/4 line. If that is true, is that enough?
                            Now the only thing I would critique, was that I seen, what looked like an old 1-1/4 or 1-1/2 gate valve on the main supply. That thing would be gone, and new commercial ball valves installed on cold and hot mains if it were me.
                            Very informative pictures. All the water heater jobs I get are usually in a basement. Looks like nice working conditions there.
                            I hate burnt wood too. I own an electric solder gun, & use it all the time in tight places, and it works great. Says you can solder up to 2" on high heat, but I have never had to use it for anything bigger than 1".

Comment

Real nice clean install. Nothing to knock at all on it. Putting the incoming water directly between the two units does not matter on a tankless system. They have a step motor controlled servo to control the flow rates between the two units.

When the demand is low only the unit that is designated to fire will have any flow, the other unit will have its servo completely shut to prevent any flow. As the demand gets greater the first unit will then tell unit #2 to open the servo to allow enough flow to assist in the demand that is needed.

Is there an RPZ on the domestic water other than the lawn sprinkler one? If so I would of added an expansion tank to each heater.
                              Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                              A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                              Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                              Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Working...
                              X