Powerless Tankless

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Powerless Tankless

This is what can happen when some tankless lose power in freezing conditions. Just thought some might want to see so they can inform their customers that the internal freeze protection is not foolproof and make steps for further protection.

I also wonder about these O-rings life in various conditions...hmmm....

And how the flow rates can be accurate through the exchanger when sizing your distribution properly.

I know that the heater will theoretically heat x gallons of water at y temperature rise.

I'm thinking the flow rate is based on that rather than what the actual flow is through the outlet.

That's roughly 1/2" tubing with multiple turns as your total hot supply.

This is from a Rinnai "whole house" unit. I don't recall the model number. Sorry.

J.C.
    Attached Files

Re: Powerless Tankless

Boy that stuff is thin!

Comment

Originally posted by stokefire7 View Post
      Boy that stuff is thin!

That's what you call predictable product failure, and someone has a job.
      Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

where was the heater out side
        if it was in a house they had to loose heat for a couple days
        Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
        http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
        http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Originally posted by HVAC HAWK View Post
          where was the heater out side
          if it was in a house they had to loose heat for a couple days
          This was an exterior mount heater.

J.C.

Comment

I asked about freezing temps on an outdoor install on this old post....Plumberscrack wrote in with this answer:
            Originally Posted by Chemeng
            Will those tankless units run if the power goes out? If not, how can they be installed outside in cold climates? In Toronto, we get below zero temps often throughout the winter. This winter, a month ago we had a 10 - 24 hour electrical outage (a transformer blew at a sub station when it got flooded out by fire sprinklers). How could the tankless survive that power outage?
            A small self draining selonoid valve is installed on the conditioned side of the heater. When power is lost, water is shut off and the heater drains out. For short term outages a UPS can be plugged in.

http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/sho...t=23553&page=2

Comment

Originally posted by Chemeng View Post
              I asked about freezing temps on an outdoor install on this old post....Plumberscrack wrote in with this answer:
              Originally Posted by Chemeng
              Will those tankless units run if the power goes out? If not, how can they be installed outside in cold climates? In Toronto, we get below zero temps often throughout the winter. This winter, a month ago we had a 10 - 24 hour electrical outage (a transformer blew at a sub station when it got flooded out by fire sprinklers). How could the tankless survive that power outage?
              A small self draining selonoid valve is installed on the conditioned side of the heater. When power is lost, water is shut off and the heater drains out. For short term outages a UPS can be plugged in.

http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/sho...t=23553&page=2
              Correct. Issue that has been found in my area though.

The solenoid will open and not close for whatever reason when power is restored. So more than one person has come home to water running. Even if it was just a brown-out.

This has happened to more than one person.

I recommend the battery backup. Another tankless expense.

J.C.

Comment

i turn the power off to mine at night and let a hot water line run a little but i'm also in fl

Comment

Originally posted by mr bonds View Post
                  i turn the power off to mine at night and let a hot water line run a little but i'm also in fl
                  You don't count.

You turn the power off to it at night!?!? And I thought I was the cheapest guy on the Forum!

You just took the lead.

J.C.

Comment

that what my kids say

Comment

and i only turn it off when its below 28 for more than 4 hours

Comment

Originally posted by mr bonds View Post
                        that what my kids say
                        I bet you have to pedal hard to watch a YouTube video.

J.C.

Comment

thats why i have kids

Comment

I just recently installed a tankless in my house. Southwestern Ontario (Canada). Indoor install in a utility room, it's a Rheem/Paloma 7.4 gpm natural gas unit, 299000 btu. Been hanging on the wall for 2 months now - works great, I'm very happy. A lot of initial cost, but time will tell on how things pan out.

I was planning to start a thread down the road with a listing of this and other home renovations/install stuff that I've done to Mi Casa, with pics and whatnot.

But at this point, I'm glad that I didn't install one outside (not that I really live in an area where installing one outside is a viable or allowable option.

But thanks for the note, JC. I know a lot of plumbers in our area (most are family and/or friends), and that's a tidbit of info that they might also want to know. I'll steer 'em to this thread. Thanks.

Comment

Hi Canuck,
                              I'm in Toronto. Mind telling me what it cost for your unit in CAN $ pre tax (of course I know you installed it yourself so you saved at least a grand from the labour!)..

Thanks

Comment

Working...
                              X