Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• flat rate software? not a debate

hi
    this is not a debate. it is a question.

I have been looking for a flat rate program, i like the idea of being able to quickly give a total price for something, with out spending time in the truck searching for the costs of items.

i have run service for years at t&m. looking for change with the start of my own business venture.

my ?? is for the flat rate guys.

what do you use, and do you like it? is it easy to modify sell prices and taxes.

do you own the software?

so far i`m seeing for the software over 2500$ ish and printed book 1400$ ish

any other options??

if you own the software can you let anothe plumber use it to make his own books? that would help defer the cost.or is there legal problems with that

Re: flat rate software? not a debate

i just did my own. when you do your own you have take your average time. and use that as your labor, then your service call, then add parts if any. some will take more time some will be shorter. but one thing you will notice is that you will try to be as efficant as possible. so you can go to the next call. no one watches over your shoulder as the price is already set. if it takes longer thats ok. if it is shorter that is even better. for me it makes me work smarter.
    one other thing making your own can take a long time. i use it for the most common things that i do everyday. everything else i just figure out a price then give that to the customer. i know how long something should take.
    the only dumb question is the one that is not asked!

Comment

Originally posted by Jerad View Post
      i just did my own. when you do your own you have take your average time. and use that as your labor, then your service call, then add parts if any. some will take more time some will be shorter. but one thing you will notice is that you will try to be as efficant as possible. so you can go to the next call. no one watches over your shoulder as the price is already set. if it takes longer thats ok. if it is shorter that is even better. for me it makes me work smarter.
      one other thing making your own can take a long time. i use it for the most common things that i do everyday. everything else i just figure out a price then give that to the customer. i know how long something should take.
      I have never been able to figure out a flat rate price, other than maybe a water heater replacement, or a toilet change out, very easily. Especially if I'm quoting over the phone. I try to get the most info. I can and take an educated guess { at the service calls, or small jobs anyway}, because obviously I can't go look at every small job.
      With plumbing, anything can happen, and no 2 jobs are the same, so flat rate never worked for me.
      Even on a simple toilet install, problems can occurr.
      Ex. #1-Plastic flange is cracked & its glued into a street ftg, which is then close nippled into a wye, & its a 2nd floor bath.
      #2 Cast iron flange broken.
      #3 Supply valve broke or rusted.
      #4 Galvanized pipe, breaks off in wall.
      And on and on and on.
      If you figure out a flat rate {that will guarantee I make $$$ on every job} I will pay you $2500 for it LOL.
      I had a remodeling contractor that wanted me to give him flat rate prices on jobs that did not exist yet, but just the usual tasks that come up often. He wanted me to give him a flat rate price "per foot" to move plumbing fixtures. I told him it is the same price to move a water heater, a toilet, or any other fixture, 1ft or 2ft or 10ft. Then it also depends on whether it is moved to another wall,is it 1st or 2nd floor, is it on a slab floor, is there basement or crawl space below, is the existing plbg. Copper? Galv? Castiron? Pvc? ect.... Then if you figure out a happy medium, & you get a job that goes too well, they want a break.
      Last edited by Don the plumber; 01-23-2010, 02:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ranman View Post
        hi

I have been looking for a flat rate program, i like the idea of being able to quickly give a total price for something, with out spending time in the truck searching for the costs of items.
        Don,

I just saw this in a plumbing trade magazine. http://www.pricepnt.com/

Know nothing about the company, nor do I have any affiliation, etc. I'm considering purchasing same but have to do some dd first. They apparently have a free demo you can try.

Good luck!
        Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

What I do is I still use T&M but qoute people a base starting price. For example if someone called to get a main rodded I tell them its 265 for the first hour, if it takes longer then the labor goes to 80 per half hour.
          Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
          A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
          Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
          Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
            What I do is I still use T&M but qoute people a base starting price. For example if someone called to get a main rodded I tell them its 265 for the first hour, if it takes longer then the labor goes to 80 per half hour.
            I tell customers around here $150 is the average to clean out a main sewer {residential}, and they think I'm nuts, or hang up.These idiots around here are doing it for $75. Pulled out about 2-5gal buckets of roots from a main sewer on monday, took me about 2-1/4hrs, charged him $200, and I thought I was gonna have to call 911, due to the shocking price I charged
            Can I come work for you?

Comment

Ranman
              It is easy to make your own. You need the total cost of doing business and I do mean total including the emergency funds, tools, upkeep, building and payroll. This will be your breakeven point. Now figure what you want per hour and desired profit margin. Most organizations are happy with 10-15 % profit margin personally would suggest a hire profit margin to help cover the cost of non payers discounts etc.
              It takes a lot of work formulating time. You cannot use the fastest guy or the slowest guy; take the average time to complete the tasks.
              This can be installed with micro soft excel.
              In the book will be common faucet repairs such as delta, moen, gerber, central brass, sterling.
              You will have a few different categories for faucet repairs. Example briggs,moen ,posit temp,delta monitor. These are similar in cost to you.
              Grohe,high end moens,kohlers tub/shower etc.
              I have a loss leader price that covers trip levers, flappers, supply line, aerators, and ants in a pressure switch
              The same way with water closet repairs and new fixtures the fixtures you will add all materials required supply lines, e-stops, escutcheons, wax seal, bolts
              Your supplier should be happy to price out a list you give them concerning the type repairs and new work you complete.
              Whenever a price increase all that is needed is to enter the excel sheet and plug in the new price and make new copies of that page to insert into your pricing manual.
              Have multiple pricing on each item, overtime, straight, service agreement prices and discounts for doing multiple items. Each item is priced with office costs and when multiple items are completed the office costs can be cut off each item.
              What I have found with the software it is predetermined on a cost from who knows where. It does not consider being in the home and taking care of all the clients issues.
              Send me an email and we could possibly chat with instant messenger. I can send you an article concerning costs of running a business that is required to be included.

Comment

Don is the check in the mail?

Comment

Sewer Rat and Don,

I wonder if the difference in prevailing rates between Michigan and Chicago is the difference in the economies? The decline of auto, and accompanying support industries, and the broader more diverse economy of Chicago?

The more i know, the more i know i don't know.
                  Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

Originally posted by geno gardner View Post
                    Sewer Rat and Don,

I wonder if the difference in prevailing rates between Michigan and Chicago is the difference in the economies? The decline of auto, and accompanying support industries, and the broader more diverse economy of Chicago?

If I lived a few hundred miles south west of Chicago, cost of living and cost to run a business would be a lot less so my rates would have to reflect that. That is why when I see people post a question on how much they should get charged fora job, I try to explain to them its best to call a few local companies and ask their rates. It is imposable to go on the internet and ask what it will cost you since each person that may respond has different cost factors for their area they do business in.
                    Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                    A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                    Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                    Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Sewer Rat and Don,

I
                      I think the economy has everything to do with it. This Sewer Rat has installed more tankless heaters than I have even bid on.
                      Every1 around here is on edge, & don't want to have to pay for any repairs or remodeling unless its critical.Service work is all I have right now, & most every1 always wants the minimum work done. Getting old quick.
                      Obama made sure his alma mater state was well taken care of. LOL

Comment

Sooooo, you like my avatar, ranman
                        Anyone can tear a man down, few can build one up.

Comment

Originally posted by rich34232 View Post
                          Don is the check in the mail?
                          Can I make payments?

Comment

Sewer Rat and Don,

i was in dearborn michigan and we were going backwards with the rates just to keep working.

Comment

Originally posted by Tyman View Post
                              Sooooo, you like my avatar, ranman

my bad sorry i had it in my clip art , now i know where it came from.

well i will keep looking for one

randy

Comment

Working...
                              X