Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
moen shower valve change out Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • moen shower valve change out

    customers cartrage leaking. old one frozen. use cart. puller. center comes out, exterior metal shell frozen in place.saved tile,sweated in new one in place, lots of fun. much spray water in cavaty to prevent fire. here,s the problem, i,m 1" short , different o. c. with new one!
    will try supply house tomorrow, guessing they make an extension kit moen posi-temp L82383
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

  • #2
    TOOL, YES THERE IS AN EXTENSION KIT MADE FOR THIS MOEN.

    THE PROBLEM YOU HAD WITH THE CART. STICKING AND PULLING OUT THE CENTER IS FAIRLY COMMON ON OLD VALVES. THE PULLER I HAVE IS DESIGNED TO PULL OUT THE CENTER AND IF NEEDED THE OUTER PART. AN O-RING SLIPPED AND IS PINCHING. THERE SHOULD HAVE BEEN A SMALL BEARING THAT IS SPRING LOADED. YOU RETRACT THE BEARING AND SHOVE IT INTO THE REMANING CART, TILL IT LOCKS ONTO THE HOT OR COLD INLET PORT. THEN A GOOD TWISTING MOTION SHOULD FREE IT FROM THE BODY. I ALWAYS WIRE BRUSH OUT THE BODY WITH A 3/4'' FITTING BRUSH. FLUSH CLEAN AND INSTALL A NEW CART.

    NICE TO HEAR FROM YOU AGAIN.

    RICK.

    [ 08-18-2005, 09:29 AM: Message edited by: PLUMBER RICK ]

    Comment


    • #3
      thank,s rick that was a challange! i used my small torch head [ b tank ]. did it all through plate hole. i told my friend any plumber would have ripped out the tile,and said good luck! tile can,t be matched! the labor will be
      $500. it,s a guest bath , seldom used. i told them to run the shower a little once a month. i,m guessing that,s why it froze. thank,s again rick
      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: moen shower valve change out

        I love to rip out tile! And thats whats on agenda tomorrow! I dont think I would have ripped that tile out,I do that as a last resort after I have used all my tools and methods.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: moen shower valve change out

          Electric solder gun, by Ridgid, would work perfect, in this situation.. I use it all the time. You can solder in walls, or any place where a flame, is unsafe. I use it on baseboard heaters too. I'm sure its on their web site. Its like a pair of spring loaded tongs. You grab the fitting you want to solder, it heats up, just as fast as a torch flame, & you solder it with no flame. I keep it on my truck, & use it often.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: moen shower valve change out

            Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
            thank,s rick that was a challange! i used my small torch head [ b tank ]. did it all through plate hole. i told my friend any plumber would have ripped out the tile,and said good luck! tile can,t be matched! the labor will be
            $500. it,s a guest bath , seldom used. i told them to run the shower a little once a month. i,m guessing that,s why it froze. thank,s again rick
            The shower valve body sure makes a difference in this job...lol.

            This would be the first option before removing tile. The best option is a discrete area on the other side of the wall for an access panel.

            B tank and #2 tip or U-tip are perfect for most of what I do.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: moen shower valve change out

              Originally posted by Don the plumber View Post
              Electric solder gun, by Ridgid, would work perfect, in this situation.. I use it all the time. You can solder in walls, or any place where a flame, is unsafe. I use it on baseboard heaters too. I'm sure its on their web site. Its like a pair of spring loaded tongs. You grab the fitting you want to solder, it heats up, just as fast as a torch flame, & you solder it with no flame. I keep it on my truck, & use it often.
              Missed this ,buying one next week. Don't ever want to use My insurance ! OVER $500 FOR THE RT-100 ! don't do enough of this to warrant that ! I'll stick with the fire gel and blanket!
              Last edited by toolaholic; 11-18-2011, 08:55 PM. Reason: the rents too dam high !
              I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: moen shower valve change out

                Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                Missed this ,buying one next week. Don't ever want to use My insurance ! OVER $500 FOR THE RT-100 ! don't do enough of this to warrant that ! I'll stick with the fire gel and blanket!

                Never used one. Sounds pretty slick . Any bad experiences from any users?
                ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: moen shower valve change out

                  Originally posted by OLD1 View Post
                  Never used one. Sounds pretty slick . Any bad experiences from any users?
                  Tips are brittle and will break. Easily replaced. Slower than torch. Dragging cord and unit around site is often cumbersome.
                  We were required on some sites to use them. I use it on occasion in changing out shower valves.

                  I would suggest the propress 210b instead.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: moen shower valve change out

                    Had this unit for over 5yrs, tips never broke once. I replaced tips, only once in 5yrs, because they were getting thin.
                    Yes it is cumbersome, but you only use it in tight spaces. peace of mind from knowing you aint going to burn the place down, is worth any extra effort, or dealing with cords. I have the Ridgid model that is in a case, about the size of a brief case. The cords all roll up nicely, back in the case, & the actual on off box, is mounted in the case. Has a high & low heat. I personally do not think it takes any more time to heat it, than a torch. A few seconds maybe, but it gets the heat evenly, all the way around joint.
                    You may say you won't need it too often, but once you have one, you will be surprised, how much you will use it, if it's on hand. Heck, why even chance it, if the joint is anywhere close to wood, or flammable materials, I use the electris solder gun, just for safety. Don't have to worry about black marks from torch, on wood, or painted walls, which really looks like a hack job then. Think I paid about $750.00, for it 6 or 7yrs back. I've done whole baseboard heat jobs with it.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: moen shower valve change out

                      Yeah I can def. see the benifits of using it. I believe I saw a youtube video of one in use..So I imagine there are seperate jaws for different size pipes.You could also have it on standby for when you run outta acetylene.Not that that has ever happened to me ..
                      ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: moen shower valve change out

                        Amazon.com: Ridgid 62862 RT-175 115 V Professional Electric Soldering Gun: Home Improvement

                        Yeah now I know I have seen this ..I imagine there are certain places you cant even get a propress tool into..Pricey but neat tool
                        ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: moen shower valve change out

                          Have the rt-100 VERY nice option when you don't care to have a fire or leave char. Yeah it can all be overcome in some fashion but the tongs are just to easy! I'll admit I like to whip it out when I have an "interested" customer watching, the reaction is always the same " wow i've never seen that before" In their eyes very high tech.

                          wookie

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: moen shower valve change out

                            Originally posted by OLD1 View Post
                            Amazon.com: Ridgid 62862 RT-175 115 V Professional Electric Soldering Gun: Home Improvement

                            Yeah now I know I have seen this ..I imagine there are certain places you cant even get a propress tool into..Pricey but neat tool
                            That unit is the exact one i have, its awesome. I also have used it in many 2nd floor bathroom remodels, when running copper through joist spaces, where they have plaster ceilings below, with all that wood lathe backing, that was put in, anywhere from 60yrs to 100 yrs ago. The wood, &/or cotton insulation, is so dry, I'm even worried about a spark starting a fire, let alone a torch.
                            I know about the propress, but I'm not ready to make that investment yet, & stock all those ftgs too. Alot of times, I think to myself, propress could never even get into some of these places, or ftgs are to big, & take up too much room, ect.... And the fittings are costly too.

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X